Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Land of the Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land of the Dead

Didn't think too much of this - had a promising start and an intriguing setup with the class society in the city and I quite liked the characters, but the movie did't really seem to go anywhere.

I've a funny feeling a lot of material was cut out - much of the movie felt rather rushed, as though the social commentary was abandoned for this 'action' sub-plot. Perhaps there will be an extended cut.... That said, I hope this stops any more zombie movies being made. The Genre is well and truly dead (no pun intended)

Also for a Romero movie there was noticeably less visceral carnage than the earlier movies. Generally disappointing I guess - although the zombies were great and typically Romeroesque..
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

This has just been released over here, and I saw it today.

I enjoyed it a lot while I was watching, but on the walk home I realised that a lot of the story was a bit weak... and I cared far more about Big Daddy zombie than I did about that stale chunk of meat they had playing the "hero". I was also disappointed that Asia Argento had so little to do after her impressive introduction. Much like Michelle Rodriguez in SWAT , they set up a cool, kick-arse female character, and then couldn't think of anything to do with her. Leguizamo was great though, and it reminded me how cool he was in Romeo + Juliet . Again, I was far more interested in his character than the other chap. Much like Shaun of the Dead , I felt this film overlooked the one thing I enjoyed most about zombie films, and that's the way that random groups of people are thrown together to fight the menace. In this film, they were zombie-hunters anyway, so there wasn't that element of improvisation and conflict that the first two films in the series played around with. But it was still a very enjoyable film, so I should just shut up and be grateful. I do love a good zombie flick... :)
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Working...
    X