Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Star War(t)s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
    One curious aspect that I've not seen anyone comment on (yet; it's just a matter of time) is the parallel Lucas drew -- however obviously -- between the collapse of "democracy" in his evil Galactic Empire, and the events in the U.S. today.

Entertaining notion, but it didn't make me like the film.

I expect there's going to be discussion on this. It's probably already started.

LSN
    Someone has already organized a boycott of all things Lucas on those grounds-- a "Hollywood is a bunch of left-wing sissies" kind of organization. The boycott seems to be working magnificently.

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island
    Curse you, Vilsn! How I regret telling you about Google news alerts. I was going to post that link!

Sorry Guv :) They are very handy though...

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
    One curious aspect that I've not seen anyone comment on (yet; it's just a matter of time) is the parallel Lucas drew -- however obviously -- between the collapse of "democracy" in his evil Galactic Empire, and the events in the U.S. today.

I expect there's be discussion on this. It's probably already started.

LSN
    Well, I spotted it: [broken link] (2nd post down).
    It hasn't made me go to see the film yet, though! :roll:
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied

I expect there's going to be discussion on this. It's probably already started.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• MissDreamy
    replied
    I saw it on Thursday. Have been getting through most of my recent DVD collection ever since to wipe it from my memory forever...

Leave a comment:

• Governor of Rowe Island
    replied
    Originally posted by Aral Vilsn
    Mike gets a name check in this review of Revenge Of The Sith, which mentions his views on the Star Wars films:

http://www.chico.mweb.co.za/art/2005...0520-wars.html
    Curse you, Vilsn! How I regret telling you about Google news alerts.
    I was going to post that link!

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    I just watched Phantom Menace on telly (I saw it at the cinema, too). It was great! :lol:

Oh, bugger... :roll:

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    I've seen it. Unf*cking believable. Fortunately, I periodically slipped into "ontological space" for a respite from the interminable light sabre duels. I think I came to a solution to one of the problems I'm working on (I'll know for sure tomorrow). So I suppose it wasn't entirely pointless. :lol:

Thank goodness that's over.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• Marca
    replied
    Mike gets a name check in this review of Revenge Of The Sith, which mentions his views on the Star Wars films:

http://www.chico.mweb.co.za/art/2005...0520-wars.html

I'm with Lord Doom in agreeing that THX 1138 is the best film Lucas has made. The DVD is very interesting, giving a lot of background to the film (although in common with the SW films, Lucas has seen fit to digitally enhance it). The first time I saw THX (on TV around the time the first SW film was released) I found it hard to believe they'd been made by the same person, although it was prefaced by a clip from Buck Rogers. Did you know Lucas was the original choice to direct Apocalypse Now, when it was doing the rounds as a script in the early 70s? His take on the story was supposed to be much more violent than Coppola's, not sure if he'd have made a better job of it (I love Apocalypse, despite its flaws).

I saw the first SW film on the big screen when it was originally released, missed Empire (only saw it on TV/video), saw Jedi at the cinema again, took the kids to see Phantom Menace, have yet to see Clones. Have to say the series generally leaves me fairly cold, although it is significant in cinema sf history.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrEntropy
    I'm also curious as to how MrM feels about his older works and if he'd ever thought of going back and changing things. I don't see him as being the type of person that would not want his older works to be thrown in the rubbish bin because he did, though.
    Of course I won't claim to speak for Mike, but he has done extensive re-writes on many of his older stories, especially the eternal champion stories. (He has also said that those were often the only times that he has re-read them.)

He also (famously) re-wrote what is arguably his most important book, Gloriana, specifically to correct a very anti-feminist message that some had interpreted in its resolution. However, the latest edition contains both versions, as well as his rationale for the change and for including both.

Sorry to interject. :oops:

Leave a comment:

• MrEntropy
    replied
    I imagine it's all down to artists temperment. Some folks may not care, others may care very much. The general feeling I get about Lucas is that these movies are his babies, and he wants them as close as he can get to how he imagined them. Hence, the first Star Wars movie, after the first round of CGI, is no longer his vision. I'm not saying it's correct, but it is his creation and he's entitled to treat it any way he likes.

I would have a problem if a director bought the rights to a film like, oh, I don't know, Citizen Kane and then re-made it. If that director then bought all the older prints and denied them from ever being shown again because it wasn't his/her vision then I'd have a problem.

I'm also curious as to how MrM feels about his older works and if he'd ever thought of going back and changing things. I don't see him as being the type of person that would not want his older works to be thrown in the rubbish bin because he did, though.

Getting back to Lucas, I'm not trying to set myself up as his personal protector or anything but I have read a few interviews with him and he seems fairly consistent. I do think he cares about his fans, but he expects them to want to see what he has in mind for the films. I don't think he's out for the money because we haven't seen a steady stream of sequels come out of him. Also, he appears to be more interested in 'art' type films now, and they aren't usually big money makers. Do I think he's botched at least two of the last three movies? Yes, I do. Definitely.

I haven't seen the third one yet, but I thought the first two were way to hokey. Baby Vader was awful. The Force being in the blood stream was a bad idea. Most importantly, though, Lucas appears to have forgotten how to work in the humour of the first three movies. The humour in those movies came about naturally through the interaction of characters: R2-D2 and C-3P0, Han Solo and Chewbacca. Now he feels inclined to kiddy-size it by creating the forced slapstick of Jar-Jar Binks. Yes, I'm a Binks Basher.

Surely that's no reason to hate the man or ignore what he's done for the film industry as a whole: Pixar, THX Sound, and the special effects company, which for some uncomprehensible reason I can't remember the name of.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by MrEntropy
    He's always said that there were things he wanted to do with the movies that just wasn't possible for the time. Now it is possible and he enjoys changing them the way he sees fit. I couldn't really criticize that any more than I could criticize an author re-writing a book and re-releasing it, or a musician changing around an album and re-releasing it.
    Very good point, MrE, hadn't thought of it that way. That said though, it is easier to get earlier versions of printed or recorded material. I'm sure if GL was told how many completists were out there he might reconsider it. It would be interesting to know what Mike's opinion was on earlier versions and his thoughts on them being read, or even preferred.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Perdix
    After all... you can't polish a turd.
    Just to be pedantic, surely its possible to get a shine on a coprolite?

Originally posted by Lord Doom
    I'd rather watch THX 1138...
    So would I! Can't remember the last time I saw the film but I'd happily watch it again. Robert Duvall is excellent. I used to have the book (supposedly written by GL but ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster, I believe.) Read it more times than I care to remember. In fact I became quite a fan of ADF solely through reading his adaptions of screenplays.

Leave a comment:

• MrEntropy
    replied
    I was fairly young when Star Wars came out and I found it to be beyond enjoyable. I've seen it more times than I can count since then and, even now, enjoy watching it even though I can see how weak it can get at times. I also still like the other two movies from the original trilogy.

It's a movie. Made for enjoyment. I guess you either like it or you don't, just like any other movie.

After reading multiple interviews with Lucas I don't think he's out to 'rape' any of his fans. He's always said that there were things he wanted to do with the movies that just wasn't possible for the time. Now it is possible and he enjoys changing them the way he sees fit. I couldn't really criticize that any more than I could criticize an author re-writing a book and re-releasing it, or a musician changing around an album and re-releasing it. Lucas is in a prominent position, though, so I guess that draws a lot of fire just because of that.

And, lets be frank, if it weren't for Lucas, Star Wars, and his desire to make Star Wars more like his imagination, we wouldn't have all the funky special effects we have today. Even in movies that one wouldn't consider to be special effects movies, such as "The Perfect Storm." Love him or loathe him, he's done wonders for the technical aspects of films of all kinds.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Doom
    replied
    Out of the original trilogy, I only enjoyed the second one. Not a dull moment and it was a nice thrill ride for the time, with even an old fashioned cliffhanger.

But I loathe Lucas. He rapes his fans over and over again. New sound, new crappy cgi effects, look buy the new box set for a new trailer! Over and over again, and the fans (fantatics all) keep letting themselves be raped by supporting him and buying into each new and improved thing. And now the theatrical originals are nonexistant, and you have to buy the box set, all or nothing. I otped for nothing. The first was all LOTR's desert wasteland slow, and the had insipid muppets in them.

Even though I'm a big John Ostrander and Jan Dursema fan, I will not buy their Star Wars comics because... I loathe Star Wars and Lucas.

If I were forced to watch one Lucas film, I'd rather watch THX 1138 (or whatever it was called). Great film.

SW? Nope. Never again.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

Working...
X