Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

A Scanner Darkly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scanner Darkly

Phillip K. Dick fans might want to take a look at this:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/ascannerdarkly.html

Looks interesting, despite having Keanu Reeves in it.

Makes me wonder if the weird cell shaded cinematography actually has a purpose to it - or if its just meaningless style.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Richard Linklater, the director of ASD previously used the animation/rotascope effect in his earlier film 'Waking Life', so I imagine there is a purpose to it in ASD rather than just trying to look 'cool'. You can find a trailer and featurette on WL at http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=140856; might be worth checking out if you're interested in what Linklater is doing with ASD.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

It seems lately like all the wrong people are getting their hands on all the right sci-fi stories. It kind of saddens me.

Comment

I'm hoping that this one won't be another "I, Robot".

Comment

I'm actually kind of surprised by the cynicism in this thread, and that's as a rather cynical PKD fanatic from way back. Especially Omaru's comment. This is Richard Linklater directing the movie, not John Hughes! I can't think of a better choice actually.

This may be the first PKD movie since Bladerunner (which I personally think was a bit overrated) to do justice to the authors work. Screamers wasn't actually that bad for a B effort from a lesser story, but this should be the real thing. The director of Slacker and Waking Life doing a Dick story makes perfect sense, and A Scanner Darkly is likely to actually have the right paranoid, hallucinagenic feel.

As for the animation, lets be realistic. Linklater hasn't been a commercial force since Dazed and Confused, and so we couldn't expect Hollywood to give him a budget to pull off a convincing live action version with appropriate effects. Animation is a perfect solution, and if you've actually seen Waking Life, it creates a very surreal feeling. Plus he can put expressions on Keanu Reeve's face, which couldn't possibly be done live.

I'm not a Keanu fan, and I even think the Matrix was a bit overrated too, but if it brings a few cyberdorks in the theater, I can't blame them for the casting. It's just a voice-over party anyhoo.
            My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Well, it LOOKS good.

I've recently been reading quite a bit of PKD, but yet to read A Scanner Darkly.

Never know, we may just have a good Keanu Reaves film since the First Matrix movie...or Bill and Ted :twisted:

Comment

I am interested in this movie, but what really bugs me now is that someone in the commercial busines must have watched the trailer for A Scaner Darkly because tv is overflowing with very bad commercials, I don't remember what the commercial is, but they have animation just like in the preview and they are quite annoying. I hope the movie will be worth he wait. :D

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

A Scaner Darkly is playing at a theater near me after all.

I might have to go check it out. It looks pretty good from the extra footage I have seen.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I think that KR will do a fine job playing PKD's Bob Arctor. It has become somewhat fashionable to slam Reeves for not being as adaptable an actor as he could be. I say appriciate him for what he can do, namely play burnt out and barely expressive characters like Bob Arctor. Plus, the guy is definitely a discordian. We need to support our own....

Not that I'm suggesting he be allowed to play Elric. But...just for the sake of argument, lets say that studio executive X allowed the ultimate Moorcock fan (or even Moorcock himself) full creative control (we should be so lucky!) on the condition that Keanu be given a name role in the film (as opposed to, say, "Stormbringer victim #48").

I think he could pull off some minor god of law...

Comment

Originally posted by josambro
                      I think that KR will do a fine job playing PKD's Bob Arctor. It has become somewhat fashionable to slam Reeves for not being as adaptable an actor as he could be. I say appriciate him for what he can do, namely play burnt out and barely expressive characters like Bob Arctor. Plus, the guy is definitely a discordian. We need to support our own....

Not that I'm suggesting he be allowed to play Elric. But...just for the sake of argument, lets say that studio executive X allowed the ultimate Moorcock fan (or even Moorcock himself) full creative control (we should be so lucky!) on the condition that Keanu be given a name role in the film (as opposed to, say, "Stormbringer victim #48").

I think he could pull off some minor god of law...

yeah, Keanu Reeves has earned his spot in the movie world. He is pretty good at what he does.

He was actually really good in River's Edge back in 1986.

I liked him in Dracula and of course, The Matrix.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

It's supposed to go into wider release this weekend. I hope it is successful, because flawed or not, I think it keeps people interested in this kind of film.

The mixed reviews tell me a little about how interesting it must be--any film that gets equal measures of four starreviews and one star reviews has to be making people feel something.

Comment

Reeves is a horrible actor. My God, man - Dracula!

"We must kill the barrrstarrrd"
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Reeves may not be a great actor. But he's a great Keanu, and how many other actors can make that claim. I say make him Arkyn!

Comment

John Wayne was a great John Wayne, but the furniture still acted better than he did

Comment

Working...
                              X