Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

King Conan gets Director

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Conan gets Director

Well, Mike - looks like Robert Rodriguez done got himself a gig. SuperHero Hype reports he will be directing a "new script" of King Conan: Crown of Iron. Good thing you didn't seriously consider him for Elric, eh? Poor Robert Howard, such a sad life, and now all busy spinning in his grave.

Oh, yeah - and it also says John Milius and/or Oliver Stone will be in no way connected. (It doesn't say the blockheads responsible for Conan the Destroyer will not be involved, but here's hoping!)

Also heard Alan Moore's V for Vendetta is busily filming (okay, so I'm 'way behind the curve! I got a LIFE! Or unreasonable facsimile thereof.) Suggested elsewhere that there should be a board to vet out really bad adaptations. Suggest we call it the Script Oversight Board (as I've been an S.O.B. for a long time.) I've volunteered to chair. Want in on the fun?
    Miqque
    ... just another sailor on the seas of Fate, dogpaddling desperately ...

I had read at the time of the making of Conan that Oliver Stone's script was far superior to the one actually shot and contained many (stop motion type) monsters, that he was going to direct it, but the producers balked because it would have cost $80 million. Now 80 mil is chicken feed for a big budget film, and the effects would be easy to do with CGI.

Actually, it is too bad Oliver Stone's movie was NOT the one we saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Suilebhain
      I had read at the time of the making of Conan that Oliver Stone's script was far superior to the one actually shot and contained many (stop motion type) monsters, that he was going to direct it, but the producers balked because it would have cost $80 million. Now 80 mil is chicken feed for a big budget film, and the effects would be easy to do with CGI.

Actually, it is too bad Oliver Stone's movie was NOT the one we saw.
      You didn't want to see that version - trust me. Oliver hacked the Hyborean Age into the post apocalyptic future, and loaded it with some cool monsters. But the reason I think the film that was made was far superior was that it seemed realistic and even watching it today, 20yrs after, still as good as it was the day it came out, visual and otherwise. Yeah, yeah, I know its not "true" Conan, (I know, I'm a REH' Conan fan) but it was a good Sword & Sorcery film either way.

Comment

Re: King Conan gets Director

Originally posted by Miqque
        Well, Mike - looks like Robert Rodriguez done got himself a gig. SuperHero Hype reports he will be directing a "new script" of King Conan: Crown of Iron
        Well, as good as that sounds, I fail to find what story they'll use! Hour of the Dragon, the best King Conan tale was butchered into pieces for Kull the Destroyer, so do so again will seem repetative.

REH will be spinning in his gave more that Bran Mak Morn and Solomon Kane are being made to film as well. Bad part of Solomon is the wash down to Conan-clone (from a film site that delivered the news): "17th Century Puritan adventurer avenges the death of his family from a shape-shifting wizard."

*flexes muscles* been there, done that. . .

Comment

Both Conan , apart from the Red Nails Animated , and Kane films are dead at present. Hopefully Bran might be OK the plan is to base it on two of REH's stories which is at least a start !

Terry
          The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/

Comment

Damn.

I was waiting for that Red Nails Animated.

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
              Damn.

I was waiting for that Red Nails Animated.
              Sorry , probably didn't come across right . The live-action Conan is dead [ at present ] . Red Nails is still going ahead for next Summer.

Terry
              The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

Comment

Originally posted by terryallenuk
                Sorry , probably didn't come across right . The live-action Conan is dead [ at present ] . Red Nails is still going ahead for next Summer.

Oh, sweet! I didn't want a live action anyway, it would be a slapstick farce like Scorpion King or Kull, at least in animation your the freedom to be as elaborate in sets as you want without running the producer's budget. "Red Nails" is a good story and hope it does well, cause I'd like to see "Hour of the Dragon" done. Hail Crom! :D

Comment

IIRC when the animated was first mentioned a year or so back there were plans for at least two so hopefully if it's a success more will follow.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terryallenuk
                    IIRC when the animated was first mentioned a year or so back there were plans for at least two so hopefully if it's a success more will follow.

Terry
                    I hope it turns out a bit better than the sanitised, entirely PC 90's series "Conan the adventurer". Even as a teenager, I was disappointed to see REH's work on screen with all the savagery and violence taken out.

I could never get how Conan was able to defeat the 'serpent men' (taken from the Kull stories) merely by waving his sword at them. They might as well have taken away his sword entirely and just given him a magic, foam-covered stick.
                    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
                      I hope it turns out a bit better than the sanitised, entirely PC 90's series "Conan the adventurer". Even as a teenager, I was disappointed to see REH's work on screen with all the savagery and violence taken out.

I could never get how Conan was able to defeat the 'serpent men' (taken from the Kull stories) merely by waving his sword at them. They might as well have taken away his sword entirely and just given him a magic, foam-covered stick.
                      I'm aiming for the aturity that a standard anime is given - blood, guts, nudity - no holds bar on the audience, the perfect set for REH :D

Comment

Working...
                      X