Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Constantine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constantine

It's a very sad day when a character than the great Alan Moore based on Jerry Cornelius is reported to being played by the awful Keanu "wooden" Reeves. He's like John Wayne reincarnate.

:? Damn straight....I see the reason but come on lets get with the program here people.....Keanu can do some things like look good in a bikini, but act...err no

please nobody say EL%$C in this thread

Comment

Oh, and I thought this thread was about Eddie Constantine who we in Europe (albeit all his limitations) gave a "Cult Status".

Con sehr beaucoup cordial saluti,
      L'Etranger
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Ah for those good old days when all French detective story writers were called 'Jimmy' and Eddie was always the first choice to play their characters, not to mention Lemmy. He probably went international, albeit briefly, with Freddy Fahrenheit 451

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

I watched a couple of Eddie Constantine's old movies on a French channel a couple of months back. Good old fashioned B&W two fisted slug fests and stylish! 'Alphaville' is still my favourite science fiction detective movie.

I still think James Marsters (Spike from 'Buffy') would have been great as John Constantine. Okay so he's American, does a reasonable mockney accent and probably couldn't do Liverpudlian to save his life, but dash it all! Kanoo Reeves? :roll:

Comment

Not that I'm overtly patriotic, but it is a little sad that this country isn't allowed (by the film industry) to "win" any wars, capture any vital decoding machines or have any decent heroes/anti-heroes. I think the British comic book writers did a very good job of sneaking recognizable pieces of "our" culture into the American comic books, but the movie people seem to want to sieve them all out again. Poo to them.

To link to the whole Euro-culture thread in another part of this forum, I'd still like to see the Brit film "industry" ally itself with the European film industry, so that "we" can start making some films that aren't about Londoners having expensive weddings or calling each other "muppets" and "slags".

But I've probably run that rant into the ground now, so I'll shut up and return to my hole.
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Of all the People to Play Constantine, WHY Keanu Reeves? DC is seriously NOT making good movie decisions lately.

Comment

Re: Constantine

Originally posted by Paul
                It's a very sad day when a character than the great Alan Moore based on Jerry Cornelius is reported to being played by the awful Keanu "wooden" Reeves. He's like John Wayne reincarnate.
                I think your being a bit rough on The Duke.

Comment

Nah the furniture acted better than JW! :lol:
                  Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Nay, Mr. Wayne played one character well. John Ford always told him to react and be himself. He did that one personality very well for those type of movies. But he'd never be a true character actor or a great talent outside of those type of roles. Reeves is the same way. The problem the Duke always played larger than life heros with hearts of gold while Reeves plays roles where he's only convincing if he's an idjit stumbling around in hopes of a clue. 8O

Comment

I'm not sure 'convincing' is a word I'd use to describe Keanu 'woah' Reeves ;)

Comment

Movie preview voice: "More of the action!"

Half-disinterested Keanu-voice: "Get down!"

Preview voice: "Even MORE action!"

Keanu-voice: "Get down again!"

--with apologies to comedian Pablo Francisco :D

Comment

Originally posted by Pellaz
                          Movie preview voice: "More of the action!"

Half-disinterested Keanu-voice: "Get down!"

Preview voice: "Even MORE action!"

Keanu-voice: "Get down again!"

--with apologies to comedian Pablo Francisco :D
                          Pablo Rocks! "WHAT-EVERRRR!"

Comment

Yep - this was a pretty awful movie. Clicheed, CGI heavy and badly acted. What else was I expecting I wonder?

Reeves attempts to do world-weary. The result - Meet John Constantine, A-hole.
                            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I haven't seen it, but I did see the plot. Constantine gets cancer and wants to go to heaven. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he already get cancer in the Ennis years, and wasn't his response to screw over Satan and get it fixed?

Constantine wanting to go to heaven. That's almost as bad as casting Keanu in the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X