Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Sea Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sea Hawk

Errol Flynn's 'The Sea Hawk' finally came out on DVD Tuesday,.

Good ol' swarshbuckling film.

Nothing to do with Moorcockiana, but Fritz Leiber is in the movie, as 'The Inquisitor,' and I do remember reading the intro, written by Mr. M, in one of White Wolf's reprints of the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books about how Mr. M, Fritz and a few others were in NYC for a convention (or maybe a book tour), and they wanted to drive to a restaurant (or somewhere) but they were all too stoned to drive, except for Mr. M, but he didn't have a US driver's liscense, so Fritz ended up as pilot.
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
    Fritz Leiber

I had no idea that he was an actor, so that was a good post.
    You should track down a pirate copy of the low budget horror flick "Equinox" that came out in the early 1970's or thereabouts. Leiber has an important, if not small, role in this bizarre "precursor" to Sam Raimi's Evil Dead (it actually is said to have inspired Raimi, nothing more). I know, for me, that it was a memorable experience since I have never forgotten seeing it as a wee lad. I used Leiber's features for an evil character I created when I was an "artist."

When next I have a few extra coins to spare, I plan on tracking down a copy again for myself and see how well it "holds up" if at all.

But this was actually my first exposure to anything Leiber; later would I discovered that this scary old man was a legendary writer whose work I enjoy.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
      Fritz Leiber

I had no idea that he was an actor, so that was a good post.
      Fritz was also in 'The Spanish Main' playing Maureen O'Hara's confessor; and he was also also in 'The Web,' playing Leopold Kronar (though he's only in this for a total of about a minute)

I think he got into acting because his father, Fritz Sr., had a Shakespeare company, and the family used it to supplement their income during the Depression.

Comment

Hey DeepFixer,

The email address that you have provided in your profile has a problem. You've decided to watch this thread, but when the email system tries to email the address in your profile, the mail bounces. Would please go put a real email addres in your profile? Thanks, Berry
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
          Hey DeepFixer,

The email address that you have provided in your profile has a problem. You've decided to watch this thread, but when the email system tries to email the address in your profile, the mail bounces. Would please go put a real email addres in your profile? Thanks, Berry
          Could be why I'm not getting e-mails when someone responds!

Me fix now!

Comment

test
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

When I first saw The Sea Hawk (recorded on VHS) I saw Fritz' name in the credits at the end and immediately rewound the tape to see his part. Great to see him in a movie. B+W film if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X