Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Courage at close quarters with the enemy - Sophie Scholl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courage at close quarters with the enemy - Sophie Scholl

Just saw a new German movie that got several awards at the Berlin Festival last month:SOPHIE SCHOLL - The Final Days
    It is about the irrogation sessions the student Sophie Scholl of the White Rose resistence group went through before the Nazis executed her in 1943. The movie is based on newly discovered transcripts of these lengthy inquisitions at the Munich police HQs.
    While the story has, of course, more to do with our history, and the film has therefore an entirely local focus, it is - without cheap myth-building and sentimentality - a great character study of a young woman who says "No" to a repressive regime and is prepared to die for her convictions.

The only English review of any depth I found so far is here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000799840

This also mentions the lead actress Julia Jentsch. Deservedly so. If anyone was impressed by Franka Potente of "Lola rennt", just wait until you see this intensive actress.

Google ergo sum

No, not depressing when you see it. You admire the strength of the ultimately higher moral convictions. And you leave the theatre with even more resolve not to let such regimes gain power again. And the interrogation is like a fascinating game of chess, it is not the clichأ© Hollywood Gestapo nail-pulling thing.
    Google ergo sum

Comment

I don't know it, but thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.
      Goethe Institutes are likely to have SOPHIE SCHOLL in time in their libraries, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got a nomination for next year's Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award, then it would get to be seen in major cities. A lot depends on how it fares at Cannes in May, I guess.
      It is certainly the better movie if you compared it to "The Downfall" (Hitler's last days...) that was nominated this year. All the many non-English language films vying for one Oscar is a pretty annoying arrangement anyway, but that's how it is.
      Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
      X