Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Jumpy Fight Scenes, annoying or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumpy Fight Scenes, annoying or not?

I was watching a couple Star Wars fight scenes and noticed how they jump. Episode 3 Sidious vs Yoda, at least twice it happens. First their fighting in Sidious office, then they jump onto the "podium". Then there's a big jump where they go from fighting on the "podium" and Sidious is tossing big things at Yoda:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DI8kkR9G0Q

The second is in Episode 2 where Dooku is fighting Anakin and Obi. Obi is about to be sliced in two and Anakin jumps in. The next thing we know Obi is throwing his lightsaber to Anakin who is very far away from him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvnwLLXHabg

It does seem that Anakin makes a move but there's something missing.

The Episode 3 holes annoy me more, Episode 2 is harder to notice.

thoughts?

Watching "The Phantom Menace" was one of the most miserable experiences of my life, so I've never watched the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by milkthing View Post
      I was watching a couple Star Wars fight scenes and noticed how they jump. Episode 3 Sidious vs Yoda, at least twice it happens. First their fighting in Sidious office, then they jump onto the "podium". Then there's a big jump where they go from fighting on the "podium" and Sidious is tossing big things at Yoda:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DI8kkR9G0Q

The second is in Episode 2 where Dooku is fighting Anakin and Obi. Obi is about to be sliced in two and Anakin jumps in. The next thing we know Obi is throwing his lightsaber to Anakin who is very far away from him:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvnwLLXHabg

It does seem that Anakin makes a move but there's something missing.

The Episode 3 holes annoy me more, Episode 2 is harder to notice.

thoughts?
      I don't know the reasons for editing choices that make scenes appear choppy, but sometimes there are no good film shots to use, therefore if the director does not offer or translate a clear vision to the camera crew, these things are not going to work out smoothly. Storyboards help greatly, the more detailed the better, like in the original The Matrix. They need to know ahead of time exactly what they want to see and achieve in the end product.

As far as actual jumping in the films, I think the Star Wars took their Force Jumps from the way Luke leaps from the Carbonite pit in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. That seems to be what set the basic precedent for their future action scenes.

---------

One of my thoughts on Episode 2:

I feel that they should have carried Obi-wan away on an anti-gravity stretcher or sled, instead of him standing up immediately after all the fighting was over. If Obi-wan was physically able to stand at all, he should have assisted Yoda, or continued to fight alongside Anakin in some way, even to harass Dooku with Force Pushing.

One of my other thoughts:

Anakin saving Obi-wan by blocking Dooku's sabre was an often used suspense tool, like when Connor MacLeod performs a last second block of The Kurgan's sword, to save Brenda, in Highlander.

Suspense, Dramatic Effect and Levity.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
      - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I don't remember Obi standing up right after getting slashed. I was just wondering what Dooku was going to do next after beating up Anakin. He shuts his saber off and seems exhausted for a bit. Then Yoda appears. Was he going to let them live? Did Sidious tell him not to kill Anakin? Its confusing in that I'd think he'd have used a second decapitation at that instant to finish him off.

I also thought it was odd that Anakin would spin away and leave Obi undefended before Dooku. I think that's what happened, Dooku had to follow him.

Poor Luke was never taught by Yoda to use his saber to protect himself from Darth Sidious force lightning. Luke turns off his saber and the Emperor fries him.

Comment

Poor Luke was never taught by Yoda to use his saber to protect himself from Darth Sidious force lightning. Luke turns off his saber and the Emperor fries him.
          That is an incredibly good point.

Plus it's just one of those strings that had a failed connection since all six episodes were not fully detailed and written together.

Did Sidious tell him not to kill Anakin?
          I'd say that is a fair assessment. In addition, he just didn't tell him everything. Darth Sidious always kept his pawns in the dark.

I also thought it was odd that Anakin would spin away and leave Obi undefended before Dooku. I think that's what happened, Dooku had to follow him.
          That seems to ring true for me. Anakin just recovered from the shock, so he had to get back into the fight as quickly as possible. Taking the fight away from Obi-wan seemed the logical choice, plus he had to make room to fight in since there are many steps in Jedi swordplay. And for the reasons of: Their mission to stop Dooku before war began in full, for self defense at that stage in the game and their mandate to destroy (or at least capture) a Sith Lord.

There is a good bit of material that can be debated.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
          - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I don't think Dooku spinning around to see how the big thing was falling was an indicator of his concern for Obi or Anakin. It must be he was wondering how much time he had to get away.

Comment

I was watching a couple Star Wars fight scenes and noticed how they jump.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termin...nor_Chronicles
              Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

It's probably an age thing (I'm 53). But movies that have all these jumpy scenes sometimes makes me feel nauseous these days.

Comment

Working...
                X