Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What film(s) are you watching now (2015)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What film(s) are you watching now (2015)?

Since my Glogauer Machine only travels forward in time (and only at the usual speed limit), I thought it was about time to bring the film watching discussions into the current year.

Anyway, back on topic, I've recently watched:
    • Fury, which I found mostly okay enough while watching, but I don't think it was very good
    • Snowpiercer I really liked (it's a hatchet duel on a moving train for any disbelievers)
    • Guardians of the Galaxy seemed alright, if lightweight, but I fell asleep
    • Attack the Block was a nice surprise and I quite enjoyed it
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 02-26-2015, 10:58 AM.

I haven't watched Attack the block, maybe I have to.
    I agree about the other 3, Snowpiercer was really great. I could not fall asleep at the theater but everyone else liked Guardians of the Galaxy and I felt like an alien.

Last night I watched John Wick and I liked it a lot and I'm thinking of watching Jupiter Ascending despite the critics. Has someone watched it?
    Do it today!!! It may be illegal tomorrow!!!

Comment

Watched Interstellar on a flight last week. Not normally a fan of sci-if films as I prefer to use my imagination but it is really very good.

McConaughey is excellent as the main character trying to get back to his family through deep space.

Comment

Once again, tried to watch Lord of the Flies and, and this is exceedingly-shallow of me, just bores me to tears; I'm just an overexposed yoof/yute, I guess.
        sigpic

Comment

Which Lord Of The Flies film SDY? The original or remake? I never cared much for the remake, but the original 1963 was most enjoyable and was a very good adaptation of the novel.
          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

(gulp) the original...
            sigpic

Comment

Oh that's okay you didn't like the original, it's not for everyone. I know people who didn't enjoy the book very much and it's considered a classic.
              "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
              'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Just been watching:

The Signal - very enjoyable, a bit underrated.
                Interstellar - OK, expected more from Mr Nolan, enjoyable nonetheless.
                Under the Skin - wonderfully weird, along with the signal gives me hope for cinema Sci Fi - challenging, otherworldly all in the tradition of Man who fell to Earth, The Appointment, Monsters and K-Pax.

Lets face it if something comes from another world - we are going to struggle to understand it.

Comment

I loved Under the skin

My expectations from Nolan are fairly low so maybe I will enjoy Interstellar more then? ;)

Comment

"It Follows" excellent independent American horror film. Slow creepy and atmospheric with a lot of subtlety, symbolism and a dream-like feel. Great soundtrack reminiscent of John Carpenter's work, some of the shots were reminiscent of Halloween but it still retained a unique and original approach. Good cast and overall a very solid and satisfying movie. Not perfect in terms of the plotting but what is these days, definitely smarter than 90% of modern horror films.

Comment

Just watched, I walk The Line, about the long slow start of the relationship between June Carter and a besotted Johnny Cash. Brilliant performances from Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix. They do all their own singing and do a fine job of it. I've been a bit of a Cash fan for years, but I have a growing respect for June Carter and his ex - Vivian Liberto, too.

Got a couple of (best of) Johnny Cash albums tucked away. Quite possible that I'll listen to some of the tracks sung by the original, this weekend.

Comment

Home: Animated film, good stuff mostly for kids.
                        Jupiter Ascending : I am really sad that the Wachowski again made a real bad film ( they seem to like to oscillate between brilliance - Matrix and Cloud Atlas - and everything else). I love their sci-fi, love space operas but, well, it did not work out this time.
                        Rudderless: This is not an easy movie, deals with parents losing their son. But it was pretty good.
                        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                          Home: Animated film, good stuff mostly for kids.
                          Jupiter Ascending : I am really sad that the Wachowski again made a real bad film ( they seem to like to oscillate between brilliance - Matrix and Cloud Atlas - and everything else). I love their sci-fi, love space operas but, well, it did not work out this time.
                          Rudderless: This is not an easy movie, deals with parents losing their son. But it was pretty good.
                          The Matrix was good but it stole all of its ideas from other things, I think they ran out of stuff to steal which is why their movies have been awful ever since. Even The Matrix has aged quite badly and to me the sequels were always garbage. I avoided Cloud Atlas due to their name being attached to it but I am tempted to check it out now having heard some good things about it from several people here.

Comment

The man from Earth - one of the best scifi films I have watched

Comment

I went to the theater to watch "The Avengers 2" with my family. Well, first let me tell you: I hate watching films on 3D ( I use glasses so the extra one is really annoying and I really like the old format - digital, HD ). Perhaps because of these things I thought it was just ok ( 3/5 ). I remember something Mike said about the first movie: it is a lot of money put to create a regular comics story - and after that it is what I think of Avengers 2.
                              "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
                              "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Working...
                              X