Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sin City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azariel
    replied
    Best film of the year - hands down! i had to wait 2hrs in line to see it

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Well, this film (of "flick" as Rodriguez would probably insist I call it :) ) has just made its way down to my neck of the woods. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I might, considering my doubts over the visual "style", and my vague memories of not really enjoying the comic books. It was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, and I was also rather moved by the Bruce Willis arc (but I'm liable to cry at the drop of a hat, so that's no great surprise). I was totally caught up in the action, and the stories, and certainly never felt that the film looked "fake" as such, although it obviously wasn't naturalistic. It was perhaps a little too uber-noir for my liking, but overall I certainly feel as if I got more than my money's worth, and that's saying something these days.

Have you seen the toys? [ahem] Sorry, I mean "action figures". You can buy all of the main characters in full colour or grey verions! I told one of my friends this, and he immediately replied, "I'd want the grey ones." Strange chap. They're very well modelled though, if you like that sort of thing (I do like that sort of thing, but have nowhere to display them properly).

Leave a comment:

• flutegirlrockz
    replied
    I loved Mickey Rourke as Marv! I mean Mickey must be laughing at being overlooked all these years. He played the crap out of that part.
    Actuly Mickey quit acting to become a boxer for a few years so when he came back he sort of had to prove himself but it wasn't like a Travolta type comeback were he was acting the whole time just not very successfully.

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    ...so determined was he to stay true to the original comic books... whether that will come across on screen or not, I don't know.
    Well, judging by this side-byside comparison, it should be pretty close.

Pretty amazing, huh?

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    I've just seen the trailer (I had to buy magazine with a DVD attached, because my computer can't handle online trailers) and I finally understand what my friends were telling me about the style of the backdrops and characters. I'm not sure how I feel about the visuals at this point, but no doubt I'll be absorbed when I watch the actual film. To be fair, Team America seems like quite a stupid idea for a film until you watch it and get caught up in the "action"... hopefully it will be the same with this film. I now realise that I've read two of the books the film was based on, but not the "yellow" one, so it will be a little bit familiar and a little bit new. :)

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    Awesome movie. Its word for word, scene for scene adapted from the comic. Read the Comics, if you like them youll like the movie.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    Fantastic movie - very strikingly shot and very entertaining. No doubt the 'morality police' will object to the violence in it, but its pretty stylised.

Well worth a look. You've not seen anything quite like this...

Leave a comment:

• McTalbayne
    replied
    I saw the long montage of clips from Comiccon, and yes it looks very good.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Apparently... I dimly recall... Rodriguez left the Writers' Guild because they wouldn't allow him to credit Miller as a co-writer, so determined was he to stay true to the original comic books... whether that will come across on screen or not, I don't know. And my stinky computer is too slow for me to watch the trailer... but the cast is great, and I always enjoy Rodriguez's "flicks", so I'll certainly be buying a ticket as soon as it lands this side of the Atlantic.

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    started a topic Sin City

Sin City

Its another Frank Miller adaptation - though this is by Robert Rodriguez, so it might be good. Looks pretty different - all in B&W. Check it out.

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/ao...trlr_01_dl.mov
Working...
X