Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

'Performance' (1970) : A Jerry Cornelius Film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reinart der Fuchs View Post
    Excellent necro-bump Lem!
    Necro-bump! What an excellent turn of phrase!

But, yes, good necro-bump... I agree that Performance has many parallels with Jerry Cornelius. My feelings on Performance are mixed. I love the first half, which I consider to be far more psychedelic and experimental in its use of cutting and editing than the later 'trippy' stuff which is actually far more conventionally shot and edited. Indeed, I find the second half utterly dull... although I can't stand Mick Jagger, especially as an actor, so I am biased...
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I've never been in any doubt that Performance is most certainly A Jerry Cornelius film. Set somewhere between The Final Programme, Dead Singers and A Cure for Cancer. There are analogues for all the recurring characters from the Cornelius Mise en scene in the movie. See if you can spot them. The film makers would not have to have been aware they were making a Cornelius movie for it to be one. I'm sure Mr. Moorcock will agree that there was some heavy Rock n roll ju ju goin down in Ladbroke Grove in them days. Its sequel of course was The Great Rock n Roll Swindle.
      Last edited by Anton; 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Very well said. As one progresses in life, serendipities, synchronicities and wish lists somehow tend to come together in magical ways so that, when I decided a few years back on what you have stated your own feeling is, I did not then know about Gold Diggers of '77 originally having been titled 'The Great Rock and Roll Swindle'.

Similarly, picking up on threads left by our friend Baal in this whole discussion (his correspondence with MM back in 2003), I have also come to note on a different thread to this one that he had, then seemed to be maing wishful, fanciful connects between authors, writers, musicians (Mike, Iain Sinclair, Stewart Home, Michael K, M.John Harrison) which, since have come into effect. (I want to write more about this topic and the details I've just mentioned but apologies meanwhile for any vagueness).

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that strange 'Philip. K.Dick' unease one gets when people who once looked at you quizically about an idea you had for linking things together, years later seem to (have) be(en) cognissant all along.
        So as I once was considered a bit strange for saying that 'Performance' was a Cornelius movie, now I am reading about occult connections (Cammell/Anger/Crowley) which return to JC via a crowleyan scholar I've recently discovered whose birth name is Jerry Cornelius.

But it's late and I'm rambling...

I do enjoy this thread though and have come back to it many times.

Originally posted by Anton View Post
        I've never been in any doubt that Performance is most certainly A Jerry Cornelius film.... Its sequel of course was The Great Rock n Roll Swindle.

Comment

Somehow, I've missed this thread completely up to now. Very interesting reading, must give Performance another watch.
          'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

Working...
          X