Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Series of unfortunate events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series of unfortunate events

My wife dragged me along to see this the other day. Have to say for a kids film its pretty entertaining (albeit extremely dark). Worth a look - quite a bit different to Harry Potter, bit more akin to the old Roald Dahl stuff. The author twigged that the best bits of the Twits and the Witches were the unpleasant bits... The evil uncle is a bit of an antihero...

Its pretty good - one for adults and kids (stylistically it looks Tim Burtonish). Soundtrack is pretty cool as well.
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

I like the look of this. I might get the books. Very stylish.

I hate Rohl Dahl He was vile. It looks way classy, nothing like that creep.

Comment

Originally posted by yolanda

I think Dahl was great. But thats just my opinion. Why do hate him so much Yolanda? I went and saw A.S.O.U.E. and loved it. Im usually annoyed by Jim Carrey, but he was pretty stinkin funny in this film. Especially when he had the Wooden Nub for a leg.

Comment

I liked Roald Dahl's stories - they had a dark almost anarchic edge to them. My favouritse were James and the Giant Peach, The Witches and The Fantastic Mr Fox.

Never really liked the BFG - as a kid I always took it to stand for "Big Fat Git"

I agree - A.S.O.U.E was one of Jim Carrey's best movies for quite some time. That whole marriage ceremony was a bit ghoulish though... 40 year old marrying a 14 year old? Sent a shiver up my back.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

One phrase is inspired by Rohl Dahl. SICK PUPPY. Cos he was. Touting his books as the best ever is way wrong. If theyd laid off the hype he would not make me hate him so much. Equel publishity for goodness sakes! Its not that hard!

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne

I think Dahl was great. But thats just my opinion. Why do hate him so much Yolanda? I went and saw A.S.O.U.E. and loved it. Im usually annoyed by Jim Carrey, but he was pretty stinkin funny in this film. Especially when he had the Wooden Nub for a leg and no man parts.

Comment

Dahl is one colour among the interesting and imaginative authors. But one needn't love each colour of course.
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by McTalbayne

I think Dahl was great. But thats just my opinion. Why do hate him so much Yolanda? I went and saw A.S.O.U.E. and loved it. Im usually annoyed by Jim Carrey, but he was pretty stinkin funny in this film. Especially when he had the Wooden Nub for a leg.
                I hate Rohl Dahl because as a childrens author he has no idea of the wonder and mystery that children comprehend. He hides a nastiness in comic form and makes hateful feelings nomal and kindly feelings silly. I read him and his daughter writing for the Sunday Times and every other word seamed to be starred out . I thought then' I dont want any of my children reading this man , he is plain nasty' I dont know why Jim Carey is mentioned here but I dont like him much either. Or at least the people he portrays. Children have a beautiful outlook on life and people and it should not be scarred at a young age by the jaded views of these shallow thinkers (stinkers).

Comment

And yet countless children love Dahl's books, including my daughter. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach, George's Marvellous Medicine, The BFG, etc. are staple books in schools and libraries throughout Britain. My personal favourite is Fantastic Mr Fox, which a great tale of courage and bravery as the Fox family are pitted against the horrible and rather disgusting human farmers.

I would like to see you cite some specific examples of the hatred and nastiness you say his children's books contain. The Chocolate Factory is an example of a book where horrible things happen to horrible children - Augustus Gloop goes up the chocolate river pipes, Veruca Salt goes down the 'bad nut' chute, Violet Beauregarde is turned into a human blueberry and Mike Teevee gets shruck down via Wonkavision. But all of them are greedy, spoilt and selfish who get their come-uppance courtesy of Willy Wonka, whereas the poor (but good) Charlie Bucket, who lives on cabbage soup, inherits the Chocolate Factory and saves his family.

It's unrealistic and a fantasy - and the films possibly play up the darker side of Willy Wonka (I haven't seen the Depp remake, but Gene Wilder's interpretation was harder-edged than the book) - but then it's a fairy tale, and many fairy tales have a dark seam running through them.

I don't claim to have read all of Dahl's stories for children, and I didn't particularly like The Magic Finger as a child for some reason, but I'd like to see some textual evidence for Dahl being a 'sick puppy' if you have any.
                  _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                  _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                  _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                  _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                  X