Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

(Not so) Holy Cow!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Not so) Holy Cow!!!

The director and screenwriter of the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials is to remove references to God and the church in the movie. Chris Weitz, director of About a Boy, said the changes were being made after film studio New Line expressed concern...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/4077987.stm

While I hate to sound all knee-jerky, this came as quite a shock to me. I was under the impression that the books were quite "anti-religious", but Pullman denies it, so it could be my personal prejudices to blame. Not that I read them for that reason of course. I'd be more annoyed if he planned to cut out certain characters or subplots... which he'll probably have to do anyway, so I should really brace myself for that.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Yeah! I thought PP (do all the best authors have symmetrical initials? :) ) was completely areligious. A true atheist.

I am. I think God's a load of old poo.

What does everyone else think? Eh? Hmm? Eh?

Comment

I think everyones Entitlled to their own opinion. I believe in God, but im not going to FORCE my views on others. Ya know what i mean?

Comment

Absolutely, McTalbayne. My wife does, too. I am merely being honest, not inflammatory :)

Comment

I believe in an all-powerful universe (arguably multiverse) with something akin to intelligence, who's motives we can't begin to understand, but who's power it is not impossible to tap into and/or converse with.
          My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
            Absolutely, McTalbayne. My wife does, too. I am merely being honest, not inflammatory :)
            Its all good, i wasnt aiming that at you, i was simply making a statement. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
              I believe in an all-powerful universe (arguably multiverse) with something akin to intelligence, who's motives we can't begin to understand, but who's power it is not impossible to tap into and/or converse with.
              That's a nice way to look at it. I rather hope it's something like that.
              I wonder what MM's perspective is on this?

Comment

I know of no subject in mathematics that has intrigued both children and adults as much as the idea of a fourth dimension, a spatial direction different from all the directions of our normal three-dimensional space. Philosophers and parapsychologists have meditated upon this dimension that no one can point to but may be all around us. Theologians have speculated that th afterlife, heaven, hell, angels, and our souls could reside in a fourth dimension in that event what we call God and Satan could literally be sentient lumps of hypermatter in a four-dimensional space inches away from our ordinary three-dimensional world. Throughout time, various mystics and prophets have likened our world to a three-dimensional cage and have speculated on how great our perceptions would be if we could only break from the confines of our world into higher dimensions:

Whither stumble ye, sots, who have sopped up the wine of ignorance and can so far not carry it that ye already even spew it forth?

And if ye cannot all, yet ye at least who can! No ear can hear it, nor can eye see it, nor tongue speak of it, but [only] mind and heart.

But first thou must tear off from thee the cloak which thou dost wear - the web of ignorance, the ground of bad, corruption's chain, the carapace of darkness, the living death, sensation's corpse, the tomb thou carriest with thee, the robber in thy house, who through the things he loveth, hateth thee, and through the things he hateth, bears thee malice.

Such is the hateful cloak thou wearest - that throttles thee [and holds thee] down to it, in order that thou may'st not gaze above, and having seen the Beauty of the Truth, and Good that dwells therein, detest the bad of it; having found out the plot that it hath schemed against thee, by making void of sense those seeming things which foolish men think senseless.

For that it hath with mass of matter blocked them up and crammed them full of loathsome lust, so that thou may'st not hear about the things that thou should'st hear, nor see the things thou should'st see.

For seeing that existing things are twain, Body and Bodiless, in which the perishing and the divine are understood, the man who hath the will to choose is left the choice of one or the other; for it can never be the twain should meet. And in those souls to whom the choice is left, the waning of the one causes the other's growth to show itself.

-The Hermetica
                Yet, despite all the philosophical and spiritual implications of the fourth dimension, this extra dimension also has a very practical side that most people are not aware of. Mathematicians and physicists use the fourth dimension every day in calculations. It's part of important theories that describe the very fabric of our universe...

Comment

Originally posted by liar_on_high
                  Well, it's not necessarily nice, as things happen in the universe that we would certainly rather didn't were we the ones to get to decide.
                  My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

That's funny that the 4th dimension came up.
                    I was going to say something about it in my last post, but deleted it.

Rudy Rucker utilizes a lot of extra-dimensional and mathematical concepts in his books ie. White Light, Spaceland etc.
                    After reading Spaceland I started thinking about additional dimensions again as they relate to observable phenomena in our own 3rd dimension.
                    I thought of our 3d universe as an expanding spherical membrane in the 4th dimension.
                    Objects, their changing and spatial movement (life and death) would be described by the intersection of this expanding membrane and 4th dimensional objects.
                    I pictured the 4th dimensional object like a ball of roots radiating from a center.
                    Time would be a function of the movement of the membrane.
                    It would also explain why everything seems to be moving away from each other.
                    Quantum fluctuations in the void are 4th dimensional rain drops.

Comment

Well, it's not necessarily nice, as things happen in the universe that we would certainly rather didn't were we the ones to get to decide.
                      Certainly it's more appetizing than the cold mechanical void concept that has dominated my thoughts as of late.

Comment

wow--that's a helluva subject to tackle (pardon the pun?) his books, though i have not read them, sound REALLY interesting, and should be allowed to exist as originally intended. people need broad horizons, places to think alternate thoughts and perhaps a safe place to shake their fist at "conventional" religion and all that stuff.

i do believe in a higher power. i can't prove it. nor can i disprove it. it's just something i feel. though i do not believe in hell or most of the prayers or rituals of the catholic church. it's just not for me. (THIS, after six years of catholic school!) ;) :twisted: 8)

Comment

Certainly it's more appetizing than the cold mechanical void concept that has dominated my thoughts as of late.
                          Appetizing may well be an interesting an ironic word choice! My belief is kind of along the lines of the idea that we are in the bowels of God. Cold and mechanical are not necessarily mutually exclusive for a vast sentient being that we can't understand. To the cells in our body we are the equivalent of God and the universe, and what we do probably seems like a series of cold and mechanical laws even though we sometimes intervene in the cells existence.

Just my crackpot theories of course.

Comment

This sums up my beliefs on the matter nicely:

My soul is an entangled knot,
                            Upon a liquid vortex wrought
                            By Intellect in the Unseen residing.
                            And thine doth like a convict sit,

With marlinspike untwisting it,
                            Only to find its knottiness abiding;
                            Since all the tools for its untying
                            In four-dimensional space are lying.

-James Clerk Maxwell

Comment

Appetizing may well be an interesting an ironic word choice! My belief is kind of along the lines of the idea that we are in the bowels of God. Cold and mechanical are not necessarily mutually exclusive for a vast sentient being that we can't understand. To the cells in our body we are the equivalent of God and the universe, and what we do probably seems like a series of cold and mechanical laws even though we sometimes intervene in the cells existence.

Just my crackpot theories of course.
                              When I say cold and mechanical, I mean without purpose or intent. Cause and effect with no unifying vision.
                              Your version at least offers some purpose even if it is as a hair on gods ass.
                              However I don't like feeling expendable like a cell.
                              I don't mind being a part of something as long as I retain my individuality to a degree.

I tend to favor the idea that the true nature of the universe is beyond human comprehension with our limited pallette.
                              I also think of the concept of infinte regression/progression from time to time; our universe as fundamental particles or dust motes in another larger.
                              Consciousness is such a bitch to get a handle on. It's a peculiar state of awareness, especially tragic when it can percieve it's own demise.

Comment

Working...
                              X