Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

All things Marvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things Marvel

____The Marvel thread___________

Since Marvel is going to produce movie far into the future.

I thought I'd start talking about them here.

---------

Not much to say right now, only to mention that Marvel will soon make new shows for Netflix, old news, but this thread will be for all things Marvel.

Anyway, hey Marvel!, why can't we have the yellow Wolverine spandex as joked about in The X-Men? You almost have a guaranteed audience built up now.

Street clothes, everyday gear, is so boring, and so are most tactical suit uniforms.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Let's see...

I am caught up on X-Men: Days of Future Past and Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I saw an interrupted Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Thor 2: The Dark Realm. (?)

Also watched season one of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I might go to the theater for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron.

I watched the Ant Man trailer.

Ant Man has letters that are
    BIG

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I love the marvel movies. Guardians of the Galaxy was my favourite movie of 2014.

Comment

Also loved Guardians of the Galaxy. I am anxiously awaiting the Dr. Strange movie. It would be a perfect time to bring Thanos to the foreground. I think the cosmic aspects of the Marvel universe are going to blow the general publics mind. That is assuming that it is done right.

It makes me happy to see Stan Lee get the recognition and respect he deserves. There are so many others who deserve a chance though.
        I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by Navigator View Post
          Also loved Guardians of the Galaxy. I am anxiously awaiting the Dr. Strange movie. It would be a perfect time to bring Thanos to the foreground. I think the cosmic aspects of the Marvel universe are going to blow the general publics mind. That is assuming that it is done right.
          I hope not, Dr Strange was never a major Thanos adversary in the comics, not that what happened in the comics seems to matter much to Marvel movies (as we have seen in the latest X-Men and Thor movies, not to mention what they seem to be planning for Hank Pym). My guess is that Dr Strange would going up against Dormammu and Mordo, maybe with Sattanish as well. Those were his main adversaries in the early comics. What I would love to see is a Guardians-Avengers crossover movie, that would be a very appropriate way to pick up the Thanos storyline (maybe a multiparter?).

Comment

Dr Strange, at least Steve Ditko's version, has always been one of my favourite Marvel characters. I should be looking forward to the movie, however, for all his sterling qualities, old Etonian, Benedict Cumberpatch is not my idea of Strange. Excellent actor, though he is. Far too confident and self assured. If I could cast the roll, I'd go for Jake Gyllenhaal. Somewhere, weirdly, between Peter Lorre and Clark Gable, in the leading man stakes. Gyllenhaal really is strange. All he needs is the moustache.

Firstly, Gyllenhaal is American, like Strange and secondly, even when Dr Strange was a top surgeon, there was always the sense that he probably got his medical certificate from medical school in Haiti, rather than at St Barts. Nobody can quite suggest seedy, vulnerable and slightly uncanny, like Gyllenhaal, these days.

Still, I'll probably go and see the movie, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lemec View Post

BIG

I'm pretty sure that the first Ant-Man & Wasp stories that I read, were b&w reprints in 1' (one shilling) British comics, published by the somewhat notorious Alan Class. Like this later, 8p, Astounding Stories, featuring Giant-Man & Wasp.

Modern, post-early Yellow Jacket stories, have mostly passed me by. I remember simpler, happier, times, without the taint of domestic violence, or incipient madness.
              Last edited by Pietro_Mercurios; 01-25-2015, 04:34 PM. Reason: Changed to slightly less seedy link for Alan Class

Comment

Originally posted by Una Persson View Post
                I hope not, Dr Strange was never a major Thanos adversary in the comics, not that what happened in the comics seems to matter much to Marvel movies (as we have seen in the latest X-Men and Thor movies, not to mention what they seem to be planning for Hank Pym). My guess is that Dr Strange would going up against Dormammu and Mordo, maybe with Sattanish as well. Those were his main adversaries in the early comics. What I would love to see is a Guardians-Avengers crossover movie, that would be a very appropriate way to pick up the Thanos storyline (maybe a multiparter?).
                You are right. Thanos would not be a traditional opponent for Strange. I am just dying to see more of the Cosmic Marvel Universe. Dormammu would be great on the big screen.
                I('d) tell you all, we are young at the end of this cycle, and there may be no rest even when we are done.- Devin Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post

BIG

I'm pretty sure that the first Ant-Man & Wasp stories that I read, were b&w reprints in 1' (one shilling) British comics, published by the somewhat notorious Alan Class. Like this later, 8p, Astounding Stories, featuring Giant-Man & Wasp.

Modern, post-early Yellow Jacket stories, have mostly passed me by. I remember simpler, happier, times, without the taint of domestic violence, or incipient madness.
                  Very cool, Pietro_Mercurios!

I enjoy and love learning all these neat things from you. Much of what you show us on the forum is everything that I would never find on my on or even stumble across. It's great stuff. Fun stuff.

Yep, Jake G. would make a good choice, I agree. I have not seen too much of him yet.

I am onboard to watch all these films. I know some of them will be extra-special and that I will love certain ones that hit me with a good surprise and unexpected talents.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

The Daredevil TV Series is very enjoyable for the most part.

It is as excellent as many online reports have said.

It's fun to have all this stuff to watch now.

Here's to costumed adventurers! Cheers!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron.

It was very good. I had a good time. It was a fun movie. Many things were pleasantly unexpected to me. It looked great. Acting was great. Many very cool moments. Had a good story. Made sense.

A weird quick side comment Spoiler:

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

That phase of Marvel movies was some wild ride.

Now, I guess that I like Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War the best of the crossover character ones.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, I choose as the funniest Marvel film.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, I choose as the funniest Marvel film.
                          I would put my vote for Thor: Ragnarok, there--it was a movie which knew exactly what it was and really captured the pulp "Heavy Metal" era joy well (use of the Immigrant Song certainly helped).

I agree about the crossover films. Endgame was good, but I though Infinity War brought the people together very naturally. Civil War was good but the Superhuman Registration Act (Sokovia Accords) deserved more than a one-and-done treatment, in my opinion. Seeing the true effects of the acts build over time from different points of view (including the Mutants / X-Men / etc) would have really served the themes and story better, I think.

I have enjoyed Cumberbatch's Strange and look forward to more but the entire MCU (MCM?) makes the lack of a multi-platform Moorcock's Multiverse property even more apparent. I wish someone could just get on that.

"In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Yeah!

And that song and a few other songs really enhance my enjoyment of the movies.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I saw Avengers Endgame in the 4D cinema when I was back home in Scotland , it was quite amazing.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X