Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy [the Movie]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy [the Movie]

In the Multiverse, this is what happens when Law and Chaos decide to 'start over again'... :lol: :

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/tra...&size=QTmedium

The books were great, I honestly hope the film adaptation does them justice 8) . What I have seen so far looks impressive :) ...

As far as I know HGTG had nothing to do with the Multiverse... :?

Comment

Methinks that was intended as a bit of a joke...

Comment

Indeed ... 8O ...I just realized it starts showing on my Birthday... now I have a good excuse to drag my family and friends along to see it too :D !

Comment

I have a friend, Pat Walker, that played a bit part in this new movie.

Personally, I don't see how it will improve on the original TV series from the early 80s (and previous radio series).
          ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

I never could get into HG, mainly because I'd read a lot of its precursors, especially Robert Sheckley's work. For me it was an amalgam, rather like Star Wars, but that's the price you pay for being around as long as me, I guess. I know I had enthusiasms as a kid which people told me were based on better originals. Didn't make a scrap of difference to me then, at least. I always felt Doug wasn't sufficiently generous to his sources. There were writers before me (Charles Harness being one) who restarted the universe, as it were, having destroyed it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
            The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
            Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
            The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
            Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Valandar
              Methinks that was intended as a bit of a joke...
              HAHA Ok im glad, cuz i was kinda worried there for a second. I was gonna say someone told you wrong buddy...

Comment

There were writers before me (Charles Harness being one) who restarted the universe, as it were, having destroyed it.
                And then there's Hindu Cosmology ... those ancient scholars came close to modern ideas of atomism, quantum physics, and other such theories thousands of years ago.

Comment

Absolutely, as I said in the opening of The Final Programme. They call it Vedic Science, these days, and Hindu nationalists tend to use it as a kind of nationalistic drum to beat, which is a shame, since the stuff's cool and it's a shame to see it being diverted to such uses.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                  Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                  Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

It is indeed sad to see any knowledge that might be put to the benefit of the entire human race used solely for the profit/aggrandizement of a minority. One must certainly give credit where credit is due, though I find that is most often not the case. Perhaps if the biggest players in the game were to change in this aspect, others wouldn't be as inclined to counter them in the same way. I suppose you can't blame people entirely though, it is rather difficult for former great nations and empires to come to terms with their loss of power. But such is the way of things, I doubt the U.S. will remain in power for centuries despite all it's technology. It will go the way of it's predecessor and fade, supplanted by yet another world power...it gets rather repetitive. History all over again, because the underlying problem lies mainly in the suicidal manner in which humans in general continue to think/behave.

Comment

I always thought Doug Adams was better off on Earth.

I prefer "So long and thanks for all the fish" out of the Hitchhiker books, and I will always enjoy "Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency" and "The long, Dark tea-time of the soul"

These are just very "human" books and show Douglas Adams at his best with imperfect characters muddling their way though a crazy imperfect planet Earth. I think the way pretty much every character he writes is sympathetic (even gods) shows his very gentle view of the world( Refreshing, when much of fiction seems to be written by misanthropes today).

I think if you'd approached Adams himself and accused him of lifting ideas, he would have been the first to admit it, but there is plenty in his work, and I understand much in his character, that was genuine.

Please tell me Marvin wasn't lifted from somewhere! ;)
                      \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

I'd certainly prefer Doug Adams to be here on earth, too. An amiable bloke.
                        The way politicians hijack events and knowledge remains pretty niffy, but I suspect they've always done it. The Republican Party's way of making 9/11 their own is probably the most disgusting thing I've witnessed in recent years.
                        I agree about the Hitchhiker characters but I would again refer you to Robert Sheckley's work if you like that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                          Absolutely, as I said in the opening of The Final Programme. They call it Vedic Science, these days, and Hindu nationalists tend to use it as a kind of nationalistic drum to beat, which is a shame, since the stuff's cool and it's a shame to see it being diverted to such uses.
                          There's a lot of wisdom to be found in those old texts. The Ramayana even describes how to make a nice Flying Saucer (Vimanas). I find it quite disgusting that people can find a way to put a political spin on even the most ancient ideas.
                          Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide to Become a Movie!?

Just found this:

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

Evidently, there will be a Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie coming out in May of 2005. There isn't a lot to see at the site yet: some concept art, a trailer that doesn't show much, and some wallpapers.

Anybody excited about this?
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Thx for the info Psychic. Just come back from checking out your link. I'll probably shell out some bucks to see the movie when it comes out. I never read the books but watched the TV series that was on the BBC over here when I was younger. I may not, like Marvin, have a brain the size of a planet, but I still remember with amusement that Arthur found out that mice rule the world, that it was possible to design the crinkly bits around Norway, and that Deep Thought came out with a very Discordian answer to the question of life the universe and everything. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X