Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Cinematic Terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinematic Terrorism

I just watched The Rider Named Death, directed by Karen Shaknazarov. I was sort of thinking here's Downton Abbey with Russian terrorists.

Not quite, it's one of the more interesting films about terrorism I've seen (in there with The Baader-Meinhof Complex & Four Lions). It's based on a novel by Boris Savinkov (Clive Merrison played him in Reilly Ace of Spies, w/ Sam Neill) a member of the SRs and terrorist in czarist Russia.

Visually it is fantastic, set in old Moscow. The street scenes are a claustrophobic mix of cars & horse-drawn carriages. There's a marvelous bomb-making scene that starts with cocaine and ends with a woman tying a red-ribbon bow on a decorated tin lovingly packed with dynamite, like a whacked-out Martha Stewart.

The actors are like a visual tour of old Russia, Andrey Panin (George) has almost Mongol eyes (he's fantastic on screen), Kseniya Rappoport has a very Ashkenazi face, quite beautiful, but different from the actresses playing upper-class Russian girls, and Rostislav Bershauer looks so Russian.

The other thing is that there is a feel of a terrorist script, that incidents are part of a repeated pattern, familiar. The accidental explosion, like the Weathermen in Greenwich Village or Alexander Berkman's friends on Lexington Avenue. When a prisoner goes out a window, I think of the Gallianist Andrea Salsedo or The Accidental Death of an Anarchist. It's recursive history.

Brilliant film, I wonder why I'd never heard of it before.
    Dave Hardy
    http://fireandsword.blogspot.com/

My books: Crazy Greta, Tales of Phalerus the Achaean, and Palmetto Empire.

sigpic
Working...
X