Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Woman in Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Woman in Black

What a great film!

Must be the best movie I've seen in years - without enough heart-stopping moments to scare the living crap out of even this hardened cynic at least three times. Scary, dark, emotional and very true to the structure of the Covent Garden theater production (which I've seen twice).

The cinematography is superb - very nicely done. I can't really review it without huge spoilers, but I thoroughly recommend you see it.

Cthulhu says: Ten tentacles up!
    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Hi, Des, Mrs Pebble was wondering what makes the film a PG-13? As Pebble minor has done the book at school.
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

The BBFC have classified The Woman in Black 12A for "intense supernatural threat and horror". A total of 6 seconds were cut from the film at the distributor's request to achieve this classification. Full details of the board's decision can be viewed here. (Beware spoilers.)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by UncleDes View Post

Ah, but how many tentacles does Cthulhu have? If it's only ten then that's great, but if it's a twenty odd then...
        forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
        2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
        3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post

Ah, but how many tentacles does Cthulhu have? If it's only ten then that's great, but if it's a twenty odd then...
          A Baker's dozen?
          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by The English Assassin View Post

Well, I sent the wife to R'lyeh to count them quite a while back. I'll keep you posted if I get an email from her hotel in Innsmouth.

It has been quite a few days now: should I be worried?
            Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

I went to see this on Wednesday, and thought it was highly enjoyable. It retained the books mood and atmosphere well, and I had a shiver down my spine in places - always a good sign a ghost film is doing what it should.

Not too sure about the ending though! Also, Daniel Radcliffe is adequate in it, without being remarkable.

I have seen the play twice, but the 1989 Nigel Kneale adaptation is still unsurpassed, in my eyes, even if Susan Hill is substantially against it. The money shot in that really makes you jump out of your skin.
              ‘In real life people do not spend every minute shooting each other, hanging themselves or making declarations of love. They don’t spend every minute saying clever things. Rather they eat, drink, flirt, talk nonsense."

Comment

Working...
              X