Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mirrormask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrormask

Amazing Author and Fellow Moorcock fan, Neil Gaiman, has a new movie coming out. It looks like its gonna be pretty sweet. It was written By Gaiman and Artist Dave Mckean, (who most people know as the guy who did the Sandman Cover art), with CG and puppetry by Jim Henson. Check out the Trailer here:
    http://<br /> http://www.sonypictur...mask/index.html

I've just read about this in Empire magazine (which is a terrible, terrible waste of paper, so don't buy it just for the paragraph they devoted to this project), and it sounds pretty good. Directed by McKean, they claim. With my 56K modem it will take me a while to watch the trailer, but thanks for the link!

Edit: According to IMDb, there are also plans for a movie of Books of Magic. It will be funny to hear everyone accuse Tim Hunter of being nothing more than a Harry Potter look-a-like... well, not so much "funny" as irritating.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm interested in the movie making process in this film.

I have a feeling it uses computer technology perhaps on an unpreceedented level, since McKean does everything on computer.

At SD Comic Con 2 years ago I saw him present a lot of images from the movie on his G4 laptop.
      \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
      Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Its def gonna be good.

Comment

Mirrormask

Any Neil Gaiman or Dave McKean fans might want to click on the link.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/mirrormask/

Comment

Looks interesting
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I'm glad somebody thinks so. It seems most people would rather get hot and sweaty over the new Star Wars film. :roll:

Isn't anybody else interested? Aren't there any Sandman fans out there that are excited about this?

Comment

Sorry, yes, I am excited... but I recalled a thread a while ago about the film and I didn't want to repeat myself. I hate repeating myself. If there's one thing I can't stand, etc.

I'm not only a Sandman fan, but also a fan of Neverwhere which proved that Dave McKean was just as talented away from the printed page as he was on it! He only contributed the titles, but they're still the most gorgeous titles ever seen on the BBC, and it's funny to think he knocked them up on his home computer... I remember a story about the BBC Graphics department being very envious of what he came up with!

Sadly my computer is too slow and crappy to run trailers, so it will take me a while to get really excited, but I swear I will be!

Rest assured I couldn't be less interested in the new Star Wars movie...

Comment

I've followed this for a while, since I have Livejournal rigged up feed his blog to my friend's page. The images from this seem very cool, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm still trying to convince a friend to watch Neverwhere with me, since I never watch TVs or movies by myself.
                  Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

I think I'm right in saying that the TV show came first. It was conceived as a deliberate throwback to the days of Dr Who with a cliff-hanger at the end of every episode (it also duplicated the slightly wooden acting and cheap costumes, but I'm not sure that was quite so deliberate...). Most of the cast were great, and I genuinely expected the actress playing Door (Laura Fraser) to crop up as Death in a Sandman film within months of the series finishing, but that never came to pass. She'd still be a great choice though. The villains were absolutely fantastic, in a creepy but "hammy" sort of way, and I was rooting for them more than the "hero" who was a bit wet (in the classic tradition of the unwilling hero and fish-out-of-water he was always whining and patronising the "weird" inhabitants of London Below). Overall, I think it was a very enjoyable show, but it didn't exactly revive the BBC's interest in producing fantasy or science-fiction serials, sadly. I don't think it got many viewers, but I think most Gaiman readers would enjoy it. I haven't read the book, so I can't say how it compares...

Comment

The book was very good, which is how I found out about it. I even got my mother to read it and she quite enjoyed it as well. I'll definitely have to check it out.
                      Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Well, after checking with IMDb, I can reveal that the show was broadcast in 1996 (6 episodes of 30 minutes). The current "user review" on there is rather scathing, but it's true that Gaiman wasn't happy with many aspects of the production. I don't think anyone over the age of five would find the beast-slaying trial at all scary, but there were some very good moments here and there. I'm not rushing to import the DVD, but I do enjoy my VHS copy every couple of years. It all finished on a hopeful note, setting up a possible sequel, but that doesn't seem very likely either...

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0115288/

The BBC do make some great shows. They also make a lot of crap. Sadly they've wiped a lot of the great shows they made, and never bother to release half of the "jewels" in their crown (as it were).

Comment

I went and saw Neil Gaiman when he came here to Charlotte and he said that he was one day going to return to "London Below". I have the DVD boxset of Neverwhere and i enjoyed it.

Comment

I remember enjoying Neverwhere when it was broadcast, despite the wooden acting. Unfortunately, I can't remember much else about it, other than that I got a lot of mileage out of the idea of the "invisible city" during one of my nervous episodes. :) I haven't read the book, although it's been on my list of books to read for ages.

I'm quite looking forward to Mirrormask. If the film is half as bizarre and beautiful as the website, it should be an experience.

Comment

Theres a trailer up i believe. It looks amazing. I hope it does well.

Comment

Working...
                              X