Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Beowulf and Grendel Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beowulf and Grendel Movie

Anyone picked up on this one yet? Sounds like it is going to be interesting!

http://www.beowulf-movie.com/

No, I hadn't. Great tip thanks! Does look like it has potential. I was waiting for something on Beowulf.
    Don\'t blame me; I voted for Trixitroxi Ro!

Comment

There's always the shockingly awful Christopher Lambert version. Sort of Beowulf meets Highlander meets Blade.

Utter rubbish.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Christopher Lambert....**Shudder**

Comment

I think he should get a part in the Elric film.
          Non-speaking and heavily made-up.
          Perhaps as a warped chaos creature shambling around in the background of a battle sequence...

Comment

...Daker realised that he was wearing a trenchcoat and running shoes. He mildly surprised to realise that a claymore was cunningly concealed in the lining of the coat.

"Where are you from?" asked the woman.

"Lots of places" replied Connor MacLeod, champion eternal and immortal...

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken
              There's always the shockingly awful Christopher Lambert version. Sort of Beowulf meets Highlander meets Blade.

Utter rubbish.
              I'm sad to report - I own that movie! And although the concept was a good one, and could have worked as a nice Sword & Sorcery meets Vampire Hunter D, the story's pace is so slow, I fell asleep first time I watched it on DVD! (Although I never bothered backtracking).

Lambert is a mediocre actor, but how is it that he speaks as though he's good a nasal twag or a stuffy nose all time - its so annoying. Thank god Adrian Paul was Highlander on TV and not him!

Comment

i bookmarked the beowulf site! looks AWESOME!

and by the way... Highlander (the first one) is a GREAT movie. i own it, and proud of it. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Poetgrrl

and by the way... Highlander (the first one) is a GREAT movie. i own it, and proud of it. : )
                  Highlander was great no doubt about it, but Lambert's recent flicks have been filled with lets say, nasaly voiced characters

Comment

"An epic medieval adventure"?

Shome mishtake, shurely... :?

I hope this is a serious effort!
                    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Poetgrrl

I thought it was a good concept, just that the implementation was rubbish. I never understood why they had a frenchman playing a scotsman, and a scotsman playing a sort of spanish-egyptian.

Who knows what the producers were smoking when they made #2, setting it in the far future with the premise that the immortals were 'exiled aliens', which makes you wonder how it was that Connor Macleod was able to be in two places at once (being born on earth, but having this whole other life on this alien planet).

Reminds me of how (as a kid) I thought that it was a great idea for the old 80's soap Dallas to run two seasons concurrently featuring different storylines as though they were in a parallel universe or something. In fact I have a vivid memory from my childhood that they actually did this. As I recall they showed one series during the day and one in the evening. A multiversal soap opera indeed...

Highlander 3 was also a weird remake of the first movie that again crossed the boundary that totally ignored the continuity from the first movie.

It made me think that someone was obviously very clearly unhappy with the original highlander that they had to keep remaking and reimagining it.
                      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

It made me think that someone was obviously very clearly unhappy with the original highlander that they had to keep remaking and reimagining it.
                        It was probably more a case of the producers wanting to make a sequel to a 'cult' movie where the central premise had been 'there can be only one', which once it had been achieved makes a sequel rather difficult. Hence the 're-imagining' of the backstory.

Plus, everyone wanted to see Connery come back, which rather made a mockery of the whole thing imo.

Personally, I though Highlander was fine right up to the bit where...

[broken link] SPOILER ALERT!!! [broken link]

...Macleod, having killed the Kurgan, rises up on very visible kirby wires to receive The Prize amid a storm of Industrial Light and Magic SFX.

<Spoiler Ends>

which really kinda ruined for me. :(
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 04-23-2010, 04:16 AM.
                        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I was also never quite exactly sure what the 'prize' was that necessitated all that head-chopping.

Comment

I was also never quite exactly sure what the 'prize' was that necessitated all that head-chopping.
                            That was never clear, I guess the audience had to use their imagination on that one. :D It had something to do with being able to help people because you knew what everyone was thinking. It did not seem to help much in Highlander 2. Not sure what the Kurgan would have done with the power if he had won,maybe he would get security codes from people's thoughts and take over some nuke silos. ;)

Aside from that, I really always enjoyed Highlander. By the way, the novel does not clear anything up either, it does have an extra Connor flashback though.

A real dissapointment was when they made Highlander:Endgame, which with Duncan,they had to change Highlander history again or make it an alternate world(because in the series, the Kurgan was not the last immortal Connor had to fight), and

Spoiler:

in Highlander:Engame, it was not the End! :lol: They never said what happened to Mythos,the most ancient immortal still living, and the big baddie was really cheesy and killed all the other characters off quickly just so they did not have to film fight scenes. Also, in the director's cut, the immortal woman who was once Duncan's wife is shown at the end and therefore was not killed by the baddie after all. The most horrible moment being,Duncan killing Connor, there was no purpose or need for it. The series was pretty solid except for it's last season and the movie really messed all that up. Now I hear that Adrian Paul is going to make a new Highlander movie. :lol:

End Spoiler.

Oh well, I guess it does not pay to get attatched to some shows.

P.S. I still remember the big groan the entire theater made as soon as the words: '500 Years Ago On The Planet Zeist' came on the screen.

The big treat in the movie theater for Highlander 3 was when they showed scenes from Highlander 1 and I got to see them on the big screen. Some parts of 3 were ok, but again, the baddie was pure cheese.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Did you also know that there was a Highlander animated series set on a post apocalyptic Earth?

Another reimagining - with a different MacLeod but with the same Ramirez.

It wasn't too great.

Comment

Working...
                              X