Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hero movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tut!

That was me, above.
    Silly computer. Yes, that's what I'm blaming it on!

-mr.wolfie
    www.gaiateam.dsl.pipex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Berry
      Hero's non-linearity offers false predictibility, and by the third iteration I was starting to wonder what would happen next.
      I was going to say, "So, then, it's a typical Tarantino film," until I read Bob's post:

Originally posted by Bob
      PWV: Tarantino only picked up the title; he had nothing to do with the creation of the film. It suprised me to learn it had already been out for near two years in the East! Definite kudos to Tarantino for helping bring it over to a wider audience, though!
      Yes, many kudos. As I said, Tarantino is da man.

Originally posted by Bob
      Michelle Yeoh. Her skill in Crouching Tiger, was breathtaking.
      Have you ever seen The Heroic Trio? There is a scene in there where she kicks a bunch of guys' asses all the while balancing a huge plate of tofu. Very cool!
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Tarantino did the same for this movie as he did for Iron Monkey a few years ago.

I'd still say Iron Monkey is my favorite Kung-Fu flick,

while the Yagyu Conspiracy-- a big influence on Kill Bill 1-- the Japanese tv series, is my favorite Samurai stuff.
        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
        Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Yeah quinton didnt direct the movie he just put his name on the title so it would be a bigger release in america. after his two hit movies kill bill and kill bill vol 2, that strategy worked very well. Tarinteno does some really good films(awkward but good) and hes currently working on kill bill vol 3! yeah i said the same thing how is that possible when *******SPOILER ALERT************************ bill dies at the end of the 2nd film. i was reading and it said that the movie was going to be based upon Vivica fox's little girl in the first movie. that will be interesting.

Comment

If there is going to be a Kill Bill vol 3, I will watch it. I liked Kill Bill vol 2 better then Vol 1 because there was more character development in it. Also, vol 2 paid homage to The Good the Bad and Ugly.

Comment

I prefer to take Kill Bill (vol 1 & 2) in one sitting and judge it as a (very long) single movie. That certainly helps iron out the "complaints" that I've seen other people make about one or other of them.

-mr.wolfie
              www.gaiateam.dsl.pipex.com

Comment

watching kill bill one and two in one setting is probably the best idea since you dont know much about the characters in the first movie and you dont really even get the full story until the second movie. They were excelent films and i cant wait for the third one to come out. i also cant wait for the movie the grudge to come out, it looks very good.

Comment

Hero

I work with a guy who does Hapkido. He has seen Shao lin monks jump up backward 10 feet onto walls behind them. Chinese Martial art films are fantastic. Matrix and Spiderman explain why these people can do these super human things. The Film 'Hero' says in the narration that the film is based on Legend. Think mythology or fantasy and you would not think the wire stunts silly. Chinese culture they believe that there ancestors had a higher sense of 'Chi' (Inner strength.) and could actually do these things. That makes it seem a little silly. Legend, mythology, fantasy..THis is enough of an excuse for me. Watch 36 chambers of Shao lin with Gordon Lieu. (He played the Kung Fu Master in Kill Bill 2). It shows some of the rigourous training that Martial artists are put through. It is sad to say they abuse some of the kids over there, but you must agree that some of the physical stuff Martial artists can do surpasses anyone in the world.

Comment

Re: Hero

Originally posted by bob-e-bane
                    I work with a guy who does Hapkido. He has seen Shao lin monks jump up backward 10 feet onto walls behind them.
                    In movies, yes.

In real life...did these guys also win the Olympic high jump during the last games?
                    The world record of Javier Sotomayer has no chance against people who can
                    jump ten feet.

Perhaps the Hapkido practioner you know means something different from what it
                    sounds like.

By the way, Hapkido is a Korean martial art. It has little to do with the traditional
                    Chinese martial arts, except that the reliance on high kicking is similar to some
                    northern Shaolin styles. This is thought to be the case because both regions
                    are mountainous, and everyday life encouraged heavy use and development of
                    the legs. By contrast, southern Chinese styles are more low-kick and hand
                    oriented. An acquaintance with Hapkido doesn't necessarily bring one into
                    contact with Shaolin practicioners. The hearsay aspects of this make the whole
                    thing kind of difficult to discuss, of course. Not your fault.

Perhaps we should move any involved discussion of these points to the
                    martial arts thread in "Community Exchange." ;) There are several of us here
                    that either teach Asian martial arts or know one or more to expert level.

I haven't seen this particular movie, so I cannot comment on whether I found
                    it entertaining. PWV (another martial arts practicioner here) said some things
                    about it that I found caused me to wonder about the film.

LSN

Comment

Actually Hapkido involves more wrist locks and holds. At least as I was taught it. Tae Kwon-Do has the high kicks. Though to be honest I only had a few days worth of Hapkido Training (Master Kang was teaching it to the blackbelts)

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune
                        Actually Hapkido involves more wrist locks and holds. At least as I was taught it. Tae Kwon-Do has the high kicks. Though to be honest I only had a few days worth of Hapkido Training (Master Kang was teaching it to the blackbelts)
                        I'm afraid you're misinformed. I teach it. It's got all the TKD kicks and strikes, plus the various
                        Aikido stuff you mentioned, plus finger holds and weapons. It's a modern synthetic
                        martial art.

This needs to go to a different thread.

LSN

Comment

Kung Fu!!

Excuse me if I jumped tracks with the mention of Hapkido or akido or whatever it is. I knew it was not Chinese.
                          The monks I mentioned jumped up backwards (not facing) 10 feet onto the wall behind them. Forgive me for leaving out this detail.
                          It was wrong of me if I said anyone was better than someone else. I just am happy about Chinese films getting more repore of late.
                          Most american movies with Jet Li are not as good. Films like 'Kiss the Dragon' and the ones with DMX I did not care for. 'Unleashed' with Jet Li and Bob Hopskins is a film coming out next year. Written by Luc Besson I think. ('The Professional ') It looks fantastic. Jet Li's eyes will not be covered with dark sunglasses on the movie poster methinks.
                          I know just a little about Martial Arts. Actually someone told me that it originated in Eastern India?
                          I practiced Wing Chun for a few months but quit like a dummy. It was taught by Si fu Eric who's teacher is William Cheung. William is the Grand Master of Wing Chung and Bruce Lees primary instructor and friend. Pretty neat, huh?
                          Thanks guys. Always love to know more.

Comment

Didn't I just see this somewhere else a second ago? 8O

:D

Comment

Yup

Sorry. I can't even figure out how to submit an image to the gallery or my profile!

On me and computers:

'Okay brain- You don't like me and I don't like you, so let's get through this so I can get back to killing you with beer' - Homer Simpson

:D

Comment

Working...
                              X