Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Sky Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky Captain

http://www.skycaptain.com
    Is his surname Bastable by any chance ? :lol:

No I thought it was Sky Captain. I thought, it might be MM or someone. I thought it might be good! Film Noir , cyberpunk, technothriller,sci fi , fantasy! NO ITS NOT!!!!! ITS GOT WINGER GWYNETH PALTROW IN AND JUDE BLOODY LAW! OR SOME OTHER WINGY ACTER PRAT!It s not fair , it looks cool in posters and trailers! I thought it might involve sky ships and wonderful technologies! Im dissapointed, to say the least! I might be wrong, but can anything be good with Gwyneth Paltrow or Jude Law and types in? No , rarely. Definatly Jude Laws a crap everything!!!!! :twisted:

Comment

Yeah, the trailers make it look futuristic 1930's - H.G.Wells-ish, wings-over-the-world type.
      The mixture of antique and future tech appeals - an alternate past.

The thing I like least about Jude is his voice but if I see it at the cinema here in Italy that'll be dubbed anyway. I may go on a Wednesday night that costs less (saw Fahrenheit last night - no dubbing on that, just subtitles. You can always pick out the other English-speakers in the audience because they react too early or too late compared to everyone reading the subtitles!).

Comment

I thought it was more a old fashioned man in a bright new future! Something like that. Like will smith in I robot, or the fireclown! Might be future old or something! I read something about such things but cant rememberr where or what exactly.It might be cool!

Comment

I also thought it was Very similiar at first to Bastian and the MM book.

After seeing the robots and such I thought differently but it has a similiar feel to it..

I have always wanted a movie based on Kane of Old Mars, I thought that would translate into an excellent movie for hollywood.

Comment

Sky Captain

I saw Sky Captain yesterday. Interesting. Fascinating images, particularly at he beginning of the film. Too dark though. The stuff later in the film, though spectacular, is a bit fuzzy--or perhaps, again, too dark. The British flying aricraft carriers with great big union jacks are terrific. I don't know why Law has been cast in the title role. The English boarding school "lad" accent just doesn't go with his P-40 or the "yank" mercenary outfit he's supposed to be charge of. I guess he is one of the producers, however, and so he gets the role. Should have relegated things British to Franky and her flying aricraft carriers, otherwise cast Americans in the American roles.

The submersible P-40 was OK, but I kept thinking of Jerry escaping Britian in his sub-car, diving beneath the pirate radio stations (see Cure for Cancer), and thought to myself, "Well, if you are going to give us submersible P-40s, then the hypothesis is ruptured, and you might as well give us garter belts, Mars Bars, and the rest of it.

This film brings together comic books and film in new ways, and the special effects are noteworthy. Both films and comics, however, need ideas to make 'em work. You just can't heap sensational images on top of each other and expect something significant to "emerge." Art is driven by ideas.

Comment

I really liked the burnt-siena coloring at the beginning (it got lighter towards the middle, did it not?) i liked the tone, the feel of the beginning, but towards the middle and end my knuckles on the seat were no more. it was pretty good, certainly not a waste of time or money; a little bit of something for everyone. not the greatest in the world (in terms of plot towards the end) :roll: rent it, really, is my final word.

Comment

I know now. Its entirely cgi backgrounds. The acters are blured to make them look like old films. Its suppossed to be like the rocketeer. Its not. The concept of film aging didnt occur to the idiots then? Did they think it was dilliberat, they allways were like that? Morons. Its crap! :twisted:

Its such a waste of story and concept! If they had made it right and kept stupids away, it woulda been cool, not pretentious drivel! :twisted:

Its a film, made like a old film, but without thinking or honouring the old films. Its sad. Cant they be inspired? Not copy? Pathetic! :twisted:

The acters look like really magiced people or copies or ghosts! :twisted:

Comment

Geez yolanda, vent much....? :lol:

Comment

I finally saw it last night (despite yolanda's strong words).
                    It's actually not that bad. Visually in fact it's very good and I don't have a personal grievance against Paltrow or Law.
                    It is a kind of tribute to the films of the 30's but done well and respects the form.
                    The plot is the standard "world saved single-handed by hero from evil villain/scientist" but if doesn't pretend to be anything more than that and it's a formula that's been selling films for decades - 50's B movies, Bond, MI etc.

Don't put it on your "must see" list, but rent it next year one evening when you haven't got a book to curl up with.

P.S. I'm eagerly awaiting Alien vs Predator and don't expect any deep social comment from that one either...

Comment

AVP changed my life....not.

Comment

:D
                        McT, do you expect even Elric the Movie to change your life?

Comment

Yolanda...your Avatar scares the s*** out of me!!! 8O

Have you though about posting any of your stuff on the 'writers' forum? Your messages on this forum have a distinct idiom which I find very engaging...Come on! Tell us a story!

Comment

Re: Sky Captain

Originally posted by DiGiMac
                            http://www.skycaptain.com
                            Is his surname Bastable by any chance ? :lol:
                            Why ? He'd rather be a descendant of the Cornelius family, methinks,
                            given the resources he obviously can draw from. Ok, he hasn't got an Armstrong-Siddley for a car, and Frankie instead of a brother named Frank , but the rest is much more reminiscent of Jerry than of Oswald.
                            Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
                            and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time

Comment

Originally posted by DiGiMac
                              I finally saw it last night (despite yolanda's strong words).
                              It's actually not that bad. Visually in fact it's very good and I don't have a personal grievance against Paltrow or Law.
                              It is a kind of tribute to the films of the 30's but done well and respects the form.
                              The plot is the standard "world saved single-handed by hero from evil villain/scientist" but if doesn't pretend to be anything more than that and it's a formula that's been selling films for decades - 50's B movies, Bond, MI etc.

Don't put it on your "must see" list, but rent it next year one evening when you haven't got a book to curl up with.

P.S. I'm eagerly awaiting Alien vs Predator and don't expect any deep social comment from that one either...
                              Rightyright. I see it the same way. If only they had taken out an action scene or two and put some more story in, that movie would really have qualified for a very good movie overall.

Why does a famous quote come into mind "Sensation piled on sensation rooted into nothing" ;) ?

And the chemistry between Law & Paltrow - sadly - just doesn't seem to work. Would Bullock/Reeves have done better, I wonder ? Or even Paltrow/Reeves ?
                              Or , SINCE they obviously thought they needed to bring in dead actors anyway: Bacall/Bogart ? But then again, that may have placed Sky Captain too close to "Dead men don't wear plaid" =;]
                              Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
                              and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time

Comment

Working...
                              X