Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Cinema Rage thread - vent your frustration here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cinema Rage thread - vent your frustration here!

Cinema Rage... joining the long list of 'rages' currently available in England (Road, Commuter, Pub, Televison, Supermarket Rage, add what you want, etc, etc... yawn) - I think it came out around the time of the first LOTR - when some chap got beaten up when he complained that someone was making too much noise during the film.

Last night I went to see The Village at my local Odeon, and it was ruined practically all the way through by two teenage girls in-front of us chatting and laughing. I told them to shut up and so did my boyfriend, but to no avail. They quietened down a little towards the end, otherwise it probably would have all kicked-off because I was about to swear loudly at them at one stage. I had had a stressful day at work, and I wanted to enjoy a film, and two prats had to spoil it for me. Is that too much to ask? :roll:

So - this is the place to let off steam about your bad Cinema trips - personally I think they should ban bags that rustle even a little - now they even sell Walker's Sensations (humungous packets of crisps) as if to encourage the worse offenders! As with one time - when we went to see LOTR (funnily enough) and a father and his family not only opened a multipack of crisps, but started to pass a packet down the row to each one of his nineteen children. Fortunately a bloke in the audience proceeded to shout at the him to 'Shut the f**k up' regardless that his swearing might offend the youngsters' ears. Good on him I say!

Rant over. I might add that my ideal film watching environment would be me, on my own, with no distractions at all. Impossible, I know. Until I buy my first 3 million pound home and soundproof the walls.

Any cinema rage stories would be good. I could go on, but I won't bore anyone further. . .Like the time a boy threw a piece of chocolate at my head during 'A.I.' Cinemas in the UK are dangerous places - battlefields! - I'm telling ya! :D

MD

Re: The Cinema Rage thread - vent your frustration here!

Originally posted by MissDreamy
    I might add that my ideal film watching environment would be me, on my own, with no distractions at all. Impossible, I know. Until I buy my first 3 million pound home and soundproof the walls.
    Couldn't agree more. In other threads I try to be quite reasonable and liberal, but when I'm in the cinema I demand TOTAL silence, and anyone who walks in halfway through the opening titles is fair game for a slapping as far as I'm concerned... as are the the "eaters" who rustle their little packets. I'm actually very anal about these things, and when I need to eat I'll always wait until a loud gun-fight or similar so that the noise of me eating is covered by the soundtrack of the film!

I had a slightly annoying time when I went to see O Brother. It was rated 12 in the UK, and a bunch of kids had turned up... presumably they'd seen George Clooney in slightly cooler films, and weren't prepared for the more slow-burning, quirky humour of a Coen Brothers's film. They spent the entire length of the film climbing over the seats, and flirting with each other in very loud voices. I was the only other person in the cinema at that point, so I couldn't be bothered complaining, but every now and then the "usher" would come in to tell them to settle down.

That was pretty annoying, but the worst one has to be when I went to see "Jay and Silent Bob". There were about five people in the entire cinema, but this couple decided that they just had to sit in my row of seats, so there was much shuffling as I let them past during the trailers. then, about twenty minutes into the film they became disgusted by Kevin Smith's line of humour and decided to storm out, forcing me to stand to let them pass. I was still chuckling at something or other, and the man turned to me and shouted loudly "Yeah, you would laugh at that!" as he went past... which I think was a little uncalled for. If you want to leave a film and demand a refund then that's your right, but don't insult other patrons as you leave. It wouldn't be so bad if that hadn't been the fourth Kevin Smith film... I would never go to see a film I didn't know a single thing about, but if I did then I wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself if I discovered that it wasn't to my taste. For crikey's sake! Read a magazine, read a newspaper supplement, check the internet... it isn't difficult to find reviews of new films, or to acquaint yourself with a writer/director's pedigree.

Rant, rant, gnash, gnash. Shut up Dee!!!

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm not alone!

Yeah, I hate latecomers as well. You know the time the movie starts - so bloody well take your seats! Especially when a movie has a cool title sequence - as Spiderman 2, to set you up for the whole experience. I mean, imagine that happening in Star Wars! The fans would commit murder if any dared walk in-front of the immortal words 'A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far Far Away...' ! No, I'm not a Star Wars geek, honest :)

As for people not knowing what kind of movie they have paid to see, there's nothing more irritating than a couple, one half of whom (usually the girlfriend - slagging off my sex there, but it's true) have to ask stupid questions all the way through, for all to hear.

My friend had this in LOTR - 'yeah, but who's the guy with the pointy hat?' - 'why is there a ring, why's it evil?', 'why are they called hobbits'.... blah dee blah....Good grief, as if there wasn't enough publicity around the films to have the least inkling of what it was all about!!! There's even a book, if you want!

Gnash, moan, grunt.... splat.

Comment

I'm not alone!
        Not at all! However, I would much rather see a film at the cinema than on the TV at home. It's worth putting up with a little rustling, I suppose... but not too much.

Yeah, I hate latecomers as well. You know the time the movie starts - so bloody well take your seats!
        Annoyingly my local cinema started showing the "Special Wednesday" indie and foreign films without trailers, so a lot of people were caught out by the earlier-than-usual starting time. Not their fault of course, but still quite annoying. Luckily these films were all fairly low-key and slow-burning, so they didn't actually miss anything besides some nice scenic landscapes.

Do you stay to the very end of the credits? It's a habit of mine, and I'm always getting dirty looks from the "usher" who comes to clean up the seats, but sometimes directors put little jokes after the titles... there was one at end of Kill Bill 2 for instance, but you had to sit through a good five minutes of credits for both volumes first!

D...

Comment

Do you stay to the very end of the credits?
          Yep - as my aunt works in the film industry as an accomplished editor and I've worked on a couple (extremely low budget mind! :lol: ) films myself - it feels an insult not to appreciate all of the millions of people who have also spent six-eight months of their life on a movie, getting up at Stupid O'Clock to work for seventeen hours a day. It's not just the actors that should get all the credit! (forgive the pun)

...Only if the film was worth it, mind :lol: I wouldn't sit to the end of the credits for the latest Police Academy instalment. Mind you, I wouldn't go and see it in the first place. Honest.

But yeah, it's great if they put an extra scene at the end. Haven't seen 'Kill Bill' yet, but the Austin Powers ones spring to mind!

Comment

I rarely go these days. It has to be something pretty special. And even then I'll take time off work and go mid-week daytime to avoid the irritating little sods.

I also hate crinkly sweet wrappers etc etc. I feel like shouting "maybe if everyone could stop stuffing their fat faces (me included) for a few moments, we can enjoy the film!!!

getting grumpy in my old age :x

Comment

I find cinemas too loud, Do they think were all deaf? The Screens too big and overpoweringg. Sometimes it works, rarely not. I dont like being loomed over.And expensive. And I fall asleep in the films sometimes! Its the ennviroment!

Comment

Originally posted by yolanda
                I find cinemas too loud, Do they think were all deaf? The Screens too big and overpoweringg. Sometimes it works, rarely not. I dont like being loomed over.And expensive. And I fall asleep in the films sometimes! Its the ennviroment!
                There have been times when I really wished I'd brought earplugs. Sure, going in, we knew the theater had a really kick-ass sound system, Dolby digital and all that, but freeowww! That, and a blanket. I'm surprised anyone could fall asleep in some theaters, since they're air-conditioned like an igloo. Cinema owners, raise the thermostat a little bit; the money you'll save will let you drop the price on popcorn a nickel or something. :roll:

If the screen appears to be too big for you, sit further back (and hope the sound system isn't faint, and buried solely behind the screen). My rule of thumb is to try to sit so the screen almost fills my field of vision, but doesn't overflow it. Of course, this ends up being the middle of most theaters and that's where everyone else wants to sit, too. Hence the importance of arriving early. :)

I've had a few Cinema Rage experiences, but nothing really stands out. I just can't get to too many movies these days since I work nights. :(

I do have a funny-sad "kids in the theater" story, though..... My friend and I were watching Jaws in the cinema a loooong time ago, and there were some younger kids sitting in front of us. It's a scary movie for kids, but they'd held up pretty well. There's a scene where the camera cuts quickly and loudly to some barrels abruptly surfacing near the ship -- nothing more menacing, but it was sudden -- and all at once and nothing first, these kids instantly threw their almost-full, giant tubs of popcorn straight up in the air. Ahhh, the buttery smell of popcorn rain! We weren't really pissed about it; we thought it was pretty damned funny, since the kids had just wasted a lot of mom's money on a scene that really wasn't THAT scary...and she was now covered in popcorn goo. :lol:

Comment

I cant complain. I get free Movies at my Local Theater. It is however irritating when a loudmouth asshole and his crew wont shut their mouths during the entire movie. Then, when you finally get so irritated that you turn around ask ask them to be quiet they wanna fight.

I have another story involving Myself and my wife, a group of "Thug" Girl Jr. High Kids, and a Water Pistol. Thats a story for another day though....

Comment

In cinemas I hate people who rustle, talk, get up and down endlessly to buy yet more 'food', and the half-wits who constantly ask inane questions of their companions, because they can't seem to follow any storyline that is more complex than an article in The Sun newspaper.
                    As I have no local cinema, I have to decide between a 40 minute journey to the more expensive central London cinemas where at least the audiences tend to do less of the above; or a multiscreen a 15 minute drive away. I find the multiscreen a little scary, as I tend to view films there with only about 5 other people in the audience. The last few times I have found myself greeted by stony silence as I laughed at films like 'Shaun of the Dead, I Robot and Dodgeball'. Maybe my sense of humour is different to the rest of the cinema goers there, or maybe they all get annoyed by people who rustle, talk and laugh at films!

Comment

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE LAUGH DURING MOVIES! SAVE IT FOR WHEN YOU GET HOME!! :lol:

Comment

I hate it when people laugh during films that are meant to be serious... :x
                        \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I don't like getting weird looks when I laugh at "sick" jokes in Tarantino movies or cheesy horror films. I'm a very nice chap, and I hate to see actual people in distress in real life... but seeing someone get shot in the head at close range by John Travolta can be hilarious. Honest.

Comment

My friend had this in LOTR - 'yeah, but who's the guy with the pointy hat?' - 'why is there a ring, why's it evil?', 'why are they called hobbits'.... blah dee blah....Good grief, as if there wasn't enough publicity around the films to have the least inkling of what it was all about!!! There's even a book, if you want!
                            The thing is that all of that isn't even necessary. If you just shut up and watch it, it will all make sense. I had never read any of the LOTR books, but I did see all three movies in the theater. I had no trouble whatsoever following the story.

I hardly ever go to the movies anymore because it's so damn expensive. When I decided to use some extra money to see a movie, I really don't want that experience ruined for me, but it almost always is. When I go see a movie in the theater, it's only because I've been saving change for 2 months to see it...I'm that broke. People are too self-absorbed to be bothered with thinking about things like that though. What I really hate is when the person behind you kicks your seat.

Comment

Yeah, talking about the laughing thing, did you notice just how many people laughed at Gollum! Best character in it, and the chavs (because they're invariably of that kind - yes I'm a snob) have to spoil it all because they think he's some kind of comedy side-kick! Look no further than Gimli "how many dwarf jokes can we toss in the movies" The Dwarf :roll:

Monday's are great for ranting :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                              X