Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I, Robot - the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I, Robot - the movie

Anyone seen it already? How good is it? :?:

Saw it thursday night. Alls i can say is, ehhh. It was OK. The SFX were cool. Will Smith was as corny as ever. I didnt hate it but i didnt love it either.

Comment

McT.

are you an Asimov fan? I don't mean that in a derogatory way mate, just I have a feeling that I am going to hate it. The reviews I've read clearly indicate it has little relevance to with the stories in the book.

Blasphemy

Comment

Yes im An Asimov fan. However i went into it with VERY low expectations, conisdering the poster sayd "suggested by the book by Isaac Asimov", as compared to "Based On" that most book based movies usually have. I get free movies cuz my Father works at the theater one day a week, so i figured id see it just for the heck of it.

Comment

Gotcha

In that case I will go on with similar expectations!

Comment

I'm boycotting it, like I boycotted Catwoman, so I wouldn't know anything about the film.

Comment

Here's a good review...

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=i_robot

Comment

Originally posted by MasterGrazzt
                I'm boycotting it, like I boycotted Catwoman, so I wouldn't know anything about the film.
                I too have boycotted catwoman. I wont even see that one for free.

Comment

I'll go and see Catwoman (out on the 12th over here, I think) if only to rip it apart. It looks so bad to the point of being painful. And whats this I hear about it NOT being Selina Kyle? That's just blasphemy...
                  Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I m with the other guys I boycotting it as well until it makes blockbusters free movie rental night. To be honest the next big movie I m ready to see is Star Wars Episode III

Comment

Several Blade Runner scenes were stolen. Will Smith's performance was less than in MIB, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Supporting cast performances were crap. The robots had better voice performance than the humans. The SFX were cartoonish. Sterile polish. I expected as much.
                      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I saw it on a flight to Faro. Being too tight to buy the headphones I had no sound. Didn't seem to make much difference.
                        Arioch, aid me! Blood and souls for Arioch!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhand
                          I saw it on a flight to Faro. Being too tight to buy the headphones I had no sound. Didn't seem to make much difference.
                          You know a movie is quality when you dont even need sound to watch it....

Comment

In the Asimov stories, there's no way the human protagonists could have out fought rogue robots. That wasn't the point. Most of tales were nice puzzles in science, logic and robot, positronic brain, psychology. The novels were detective whodunnits given an SF spin and an there was an interesting relationship between human detective and robot helper.

For those who haven't read the original stories yet, I can recommend them. From the days when magazine readers actually enjoyed reading SF that explored the logical possibilities of robots hardwired to obey:

The Three Laws of Robotics
                            A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
                            2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
                            3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Asimov's I Robot stories really do show the writer at his quirky best. The short stories are near perfect examples of their genre, almost as satisfying as early Sherlock Holmes. :)

Comment

I was a little disappointed with this - though with Will Smith in the title role, I wasn't what I was expecting. Another SF classic turned into another action comedy vehicle for the latest talentless comedian turned actor.

Interestingly Alex Proyas was the director of this - bit of a let-down after Dark City.
                              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Working...
                              X