Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

"Bah! Humbug!" Xmas Movies you Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    Big up for the Home Alone movies.
    Good call!
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I would mention all of the . . . "update" I guess, of A Christmas Carol.

Not overly wild about the original version(s) but it seems that every year they come out with a new version targeted for a Demographic.

'Scrooge' is a lady/fat man/fat lady/fat gay man with dandruff, etc.

How many times do you re-invent the wheel?
      Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
        I would mention all of the . . . "update" I guess, of A Christmas Carol.

Not overly wild about the original version(s) but it seems that every year they come out with a new version targeted for a Demographic.

'Scrooge' is a lady/fat man/fat lady/fat gay man with dandruff, etc.

How many times do you re-invent the wheel?
        Which is one of the reasons I like the Geo. C Scott version, it is fairly faithful to the story, not to mention that Scott does a great Scrooge, he always did do a good curmudgeon. Edward Woodward is also a great Chritmas Present. His delivery in replying to Scrooge's grumbles is priceless. The Stewart version is also good, a close second with Stewart doing a great curmudgeon himself but Woodward tilts the balance for me.

herb
        herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

What was that about a bad Santa? I wonder if Babyface St. Nick here got a piece of Ralph Emery's stash...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...k+(with+pics)+

Comment

Poor old santa must be feeling the pinch as well i see.
            What with pleasing the free wests children AND those gargantuan Preparation H bills!
            It was only a matter of time!
            "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well you got to have a sense of humor being a bank robber nowadays, I always say. You got to relieve that stress somehow.

Ditto on the Scott 'Carol', that's the best one I can think of.

Comment

Alastair Sim is my man.
                As far as lousy goes....A Very Brady Christmas takes the cake for me.
                Right now there is a two day Star Wars marathon playing on the telly.
                I haven't the remotest idea what Luke Skywalker and Santa have in common but...whatever floats yer boat I say.

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
                  Alastair Sim is my man.
                  As far as lousy goes....A Very Brady Christmas takes the cake for me.
                  Right now there is a two day Star Wars marathon playing on the telly.
                  I haven't the remotest idea what Luke Skywalker and Santa have in common but...whatever floats yer boat I say.
                  The increasingly off-kilter SyFy channel has a Merry Saw-athon for Xmas Eve, presumably so if your kids watch it, they will stay up all night for a reason....

Des
                  Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Originally posted by voilodian ghagnasdiak View Post
                    I haven't the remotest idea what Luke Skywalker and Santa have in common
                    Mark Hamill does do the voice of 'Chanukah Zombie' in the Futurama movie Bender's Big Score http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471711/

Close, but no Claus.
                    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

It's NOT a Wonderful Freakin' Life!

I'll probably upset people and make enemies by admitting this, but if I see "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'll puke. I do not EVER want to hear the phrase "Zuzu's petals!" again in my entire life. That movie is so saccharine and ersatz, it could give a diabetic a sugar fit. Jimmy Stewart, a small town boob, is important that the whole goddamn city would fall apart if he hadn't been born? Gimme a break. He' s not a great man, not a political leader, a great activist, a mover and shaker, a captain of industry or even a particularly good person. He's a walking friggin' cliche of some third-rate hack writer's version of a small town "All American" who is so squeaky clean, he makes me ill...and I LIKE Jimmy Stewart, and Donna Reed too. Jimmy was fantastic in "Twelve O'Clock High, " "Meet John Doe" and "Harvey." Just not in THAT movie. It's not like "A Christmas Carol," where a horrible, miserly curmudgeon learns a lesson about being human. Instead, we get this rancid slice of cornbread so syrup laden and crammed with cliches it makes my head spin. I liked the parody they did on "Married--with Children" ten times better, where the angel COULDN'T show Al that he made any difference whatsoever. That's more realistic!
                      Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Remember that it was hated and panned for precisely those same reasons when it was released. Age mellowed it somehow....

Des
                        Last edited by Rothgo; 01-09-2010, 03:44 AM.
                        Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Working...
                        X