Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

"Bah! Humbug!" Xmas Movies you Hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bah! Humbug!" Xmas Movies you Hate

I hate the Polar Express.

A by-the-numbers pile of awful "just believe" twaddle that adds nothing interesting to the expanding Santa mythology and features the godawful rap-singing of Tom Hanks. Truly, the rap has a silent "c".

Des
    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

I agree.
    Papi

Comment

It might be quicker to list the Xmas movies I like
      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

I heartily agree with The Assassin, but would add a footnote that one of the worst offenders was the sinister "Jingle all the Way", a Schwarzenegger film simmering with hostility and unsavory social biases and bilge which was sold as a Christmas movie to serve up smiles, smiles, smiles.

Comment

I liked the one with Billy Bob Thornton and Freddie Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
            I liked the one with Billy Bob Thornton and Freddie Mac.
            Is that Bad Santa? I saw that the other day - End was a bit wishy washy, but otherwise okay.

As a general rule of thumb, I find that if a Christmas movie doesn't have the word 'Muppet' in the title, it's best avoided.

Comment

Muppets 'carol' was Ok but I think the older one was a bit better..

Comment

Struggling to think of something to top GCs choice of Jingle all the Way but Miracle on 34th(or whatever number it is) street leaves me with what can only be called an unhealthy penchant to take a large lynch mob to Lappland!!
                And dont even get me started on George Bailey!
                "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

There are a lot of Christmas movies I hate but "Elf" stands alone at the top of the heap and nothing else is anywhere close. To make it even worse the channel that shows it seems to think it is worth a 3 night in a row showcase whenever it plays.

Never thought that idiot was funny on SNL, just noisy and obnoxious and this movie did nothing to dispell the notion.

As an offshoot I think the George C Scott version of "A Chritmas Carol" is the best one out there.

herb
                  herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                    As an offshoot I think the George C Scott version of "A Chritmas Carol" is the best one out there.
                    I prefer the newer Patrick Stewart one. Very well acted by all concerned. Everyone acts like he's mental at the end, until they realize he's had a change of heart. One piece of garbage anachronism "She's on a diet."

Des
                    Spacerockmanifesto on Facebook

Hawkwind tabs

Comment

Yes, I want to see Bad Santa - just for the BillyBob factor really.

Of the few that come to mind:

-It's a Wonderful life (a tad obvious I know but someone had to say it)
                      -A Christmas Carol (I like them all, including the Muppets,' but Scrooge with Albert Finny is the best)
                      -Moonraker (nothing Xmassy about it, I know - but I'm sure it is the Bond film that used to be on TV the most over the Xmas period when I was a kid and I still love its high campness)

One I don't like, although I don't particularly hate it either, but despite its ultimately Xmassy title, I've always found White Christmas totally underwhelming - in fact apart from the song it has next to nothing to do with Christmas at all. It's one of those 'what's the point?' films.

Now, I'm sure there's some decent horror films set at Xmas time, but for the life of me I can't think of any... someone help my poor brain!
                      forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
                      2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
                      3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Comment

There is only one christmas film i liked who is known in english countries, it's Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. Miraculously (is this word exists?) it was shown at Tv in France!

Comment

Originally posted by Retyar View Post
                          There is only one christmas film i liked who is known in english countries, it's Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. Miraculously (is this word exists?) it was shown at Tv in France!

Hell and damnation, I saw the commercials for the dvd on that one and meant to get it when I sent in my last order and forgot all about it. Is it good?

herb
                          herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

I saw it two years ago, and i read the book before, but i can say it's very good, and it respects the novel!

Comment

Big up for the Home Alone movies.
                              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X