Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Invictus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invictus

Directed by Eastwood, starring Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman - as a huge rugby fan, I just can't wait!

http://invictusmovie.warnerbros.com/

das

Looks interesting Das!
    As a fan and ex-player myself it will be intersting to see how much Clint has done his research.
    Good to see him taking on a rugby movie though!
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
      Looks interesting Das!
      As a fan and ex-player myself it will be intersting to see how much Clint has done his research.
      Good to see him taking on a rugby movie though!
      What do you mean by 'ex-player'?? Player, as in you played in school, etc., or player as in you played for one of the clubs (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Munster, Ospreys, etc)??

das

Comment

I played before the days of the super league in the old Scottish Division 2 for Madras FP(although i was not a former pupil!)and for Dundee HSFP(ditto).
        We got to a few cup semi-finals against the big teams of the time (Kelso,Gala and Hawick)which had all the internationals in them.
        This would have been 1982-86.
        Good times.
        I reckon we would have given the likes of Glasgow and Edinburgh a game mind you!!
        Strangely enough i played mainly football at school.
        Last edited by thingfish; 10-29-2009, 03:21 PM.
        "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Ah, I see...

Now - when you say 'super league' - do you mean you played the league game, or the union game. I'm more familiar with rugby union - I guess because I like the rucks.

das

Comment

Sorry Das,i should have clarified that.
            The Super League is the new(ish) pro rugby union league including the teams you mentioned which is big business these days.
            Before that there was just national leagues in the UK that were mainly semi-pro or amateur.
            Yeah for me rugby union is the best of the two codes,nothing to beat a good ruck(as long as you're not on the bottom)although anyone reading this in the north of England would disagree as rugby league is the popular code round those parts.
            I've played both and to be honest rugby league takes a hell of a lot more out of you mainly due to the fact that you are constantly on the move!
            Can i say i find it really good that there are people in the US like yourself who like rugby as i never thought it was given any coverage in your neck of the woods.
            Thats why im really looking forward to the movie,as it will raise the profile of the game in your fine country.
            I wonder which code Clint will be depicting in the movie.
            Last edited by thingfish; 10-29-2009, 08:13 PM.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Thanks, thing!

I mostly know the teams by the contests they're in - right now we have Magners League, the Guinness Premiership, and Heineken Cup from the Northern Hemi, and the Currie Cup (SA) and Air NZ Cup from the Southern Hemi. We also get 6 Nations, Tri-Nations, and Super 14...plus the occasional friendly, or test match...and a few others.

I watch as many as I can, but must admit to having trouble keeping track of the players now. I used to get mostly Southern Hemi games, so the players became very familiar to me. But now with SO many teams and matches to keep track of, everything - and everyone - just becomes a blur! I started watching back around 2002, and now it seems rugby is starting to catch on more in the States - slowly, but surely! Now with 7s rugby being added to the Olympics, I suppose it will get even more international exposure. About time!

Oh, and Clint certainly went with the Union game - this is about the Springboks, afterall!

I've noticed that the league game is much faster-paced. We get Aussie league matches (and the State of Origin), and I will sometimes watch it...but I still prefer the union game.

das

Comment

Working...
              X