Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension

One of my favorite all time cult movies is 1988's "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension." Starring a cast that would later cost millions to book (Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, John Lithgow, Dan Hedaya, Christopher Lloyd, Ellen Barkin, Rosalind Cash, Lewis Smith and Ronald Lacey), this sci-fi spoof of big action films like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Close Encounters" is in turns exciting, hilarious, goofy, thrilling, remarkably silly and incredibly fun. It makes NO sense whatsover, so don't look for it to. That said, it's a great big ball of fun. John Lithgow fans will love his over-the-top, scenery chewing alien dictator, Lord John Whorfin/Dr. Emilio Lizardo, who says things like: "Massacre them without a quarter" and "Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy!" Chris Lloyd fans will love his turn as John Bigboote (pronounced Big-Boo-TAY), Whorfin's harried second in command. Ellen Barkin is also particularly good as Penny Pridey. But the best thing is Peter Weller's understated, almost deadpan hero, Buckaroo Banzai, brain surgeon, rock and roll musician, race car driver, cowboy and nuclear physicist all rolled into one. The effects are cheesy, the costumes cheap and the sets almost laughably poor, but it's all on intentional.

"Remember--no matter where you go...there you are."-Dr. Buckaroo Banzai.
    Why is there a watermelon there?
    28.57%
    There are Monkey Boys in the Facility
    0.00%
    Did Orson Wells cover up a landing by Black Lectroids?
    14.29%
    Where are we going?
    0.00%
    How many zeroes is that?
    14.29%
    A kind of "Baby Bang"
    0.00%
    What? Are they making me fun of me?
    0.00%
    A girl named John?
    0.00%
    I want to work at Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
    14.29%
    Where's the Overthruster?
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Seeing that this movie only airs once every 2 or 3 years around here, it is always good for a few snickers.
    Lithgow does live the part.
    Peter Weller does yet another cool as a cucumber, Wm. Burroughs'ish part.
    (Not a big Jeff G. fan by any means.)
    And the cold killer John Bigboote never lets the viewer down in whatever role he plays.
    Definitely a fun movie.

Comment

One of my all time movie favorites. A great spoof with both over the top and understated performances. Love the small bits that aren't always apparant the first time through such as "sine, seeled, delivered" during the overthuster test. Lithgow is great, totally over the top but it works. In a way it reminds me of Marx Brothers zaniness with both the visual and spoken gags that just seem to roll along along and just fit without disrupting the flow of the movie although nothing really make any sense. A must for any collection. Have it in VHS but no DVD, yet. Think there is one out now but there was a lot of legal disputes that kept it off the market for awhile.

And just remember monkey boys, no matter were you go, there you are.

herb
      herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

The DVD Special Edition is out, and it's well worth the price. Lots of extras and cool stuff...but you never DO find out why there was a watermelon there! :-).
        Last edited by Rothgo; 10-10-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote
        Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

A very good movie !
          Papi

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf359 View Post
            The DVD Special Edition is out, and it's well worth the price. Lots of extras and cool stuff...but you never DO find out why there was a watermelon there! :-).
            Actually I'm more interested how John Parker got on stage at Artie's club when his thermopod didn't land until a lot later in the film <G>

herb
            herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

John Parker might have traveled back in time to catch the show at Artie's so he'd know Buckaroo Banzai on sight. Or, it might have been--a continuity error, like Romans wearing wristwatches in "Ben Hur."

"Don't tug on that--you never know what it might be connected to."-Dr. Buckaroo Banzai.
              Last edited by Rothgo; 10-16-2009, 01:40 AM. Reason: Direct follow-on: no quote needed
              Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf359 View Post
                Yeah, you do! There's an 'easter egg' that explains the 'melon in the strain gage.
                http://www.dvdeastereggs.com/showEgg.php?id=269

And, that's not John Parker at Artie's Artery. That's their drummer. He's got a beard, John doesn't.

Read the novel, too. Semi-different from the movie.

Of course, there's also the Banzai Institute's web site http://www.banzai-institute.com/
                Last edited by DeepFixer; 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM. Reason: WHERE'D I LEARN TO TYPE??!!
                Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Wonderful movie.
                  Like nothing else out there.

Comment

that is one of those movies that you just cant get out of your head. its one for the favorites list. even though i dont remember much about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X