Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

My personal apology to DeeCrowSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My personal apology to DeeCrowSeer

I wasn't going to bust up the other thread to ask you about Josie and the Pussycats. Sorry about putting you on the spot about it. And for the record, I only titled the thread the way I did because it was much less embarrassing than starting a thread called Josie and the Pussycats. :D

You make it sound much more interesting than I ever thought it would be. As a rule, I immediately dismiss a movie that features Tara Reid, though I like other people in the film especially Cook and Dawson (I loved her in 25th hour) I honestly thought the satire of the movie ended with Parker Posie as a record executive. Maybe I'll actually have to see it. Hopefully no one I know will see me leaving the video store. :D

Dee, I can never question your taste, because anyone who is such a big Buffy fan has to have great taste.

There's really nothing to apologize about... although I was glad to see everyone politely ignoring my rant, since I was rather going out on a limb.

But yes, I can understand how the premise of the film would put a lot of grown-ups off. Thankfully in this country we were spared all of the merchandising tie-ins and hype, and are only dimly aware of the original comic book, so perhaps the critics were more willing to approach the film with an open mind?

To be fair, you probably have to be willing to enter into the spirit of the thing to really see the satirical touches, but they are definitely there and definitely intentional... er... I was tapping away on another web browser to find a review that would back me up, but Josie really got slated, didn't it? I should qualify my enthusiasm for the film by stating that as a cartoon-geek, I like films that look as if they were designed. I've never had a problem with a layer of artificiality, and maybe that was what put some people off? It's obviously a comedy film based on a comic book... some of the jokes are a bit cartoon-y and the plot is formulaic, but I think there's genuine malice lurking behind the smile.

But I told myself I wouldn't rant again, so I'll shut up now.

I'm not alone in my opinion of the film, but we're not exactly legion either.

If you do watch the film and think I'm an idiot, you can always revive this thread and I'll try to explain what I thought was going on.

Thanks again for the apology, but it really wasn't necessary. :D

D...

Edit: At last I found a sympathetic review from a (relatively) credible source. The Onion AV club review has this to say:

"With scarcely a wasted moment, Elfont and Kaplan pair a witty visual sense to layers upon layers of gags, while never losing sight of their satirical targets. Every bit as subversive as it is sweet, Josie challenges its target audience to question the values of the world around it, steering closer to the spirit of The Matrix than the work of Freddie Prinze Jr. Its plot may not be especially efficient—characters tend to wander away for large portions of the movie—but it offers ample compensation, including winning performances by Cumming, Posey, and the Pussycats."

And The Onion certainly know their... er... onions when it comes to satire. That's still only one good review out of hundreds of bad ones, but I need something to cling to!!! :D

http://www.theonionavclub.com/review.php?review_id=4357
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Thanks for the info, Dee. (Relayed in good spirit, as usual)

My sister's 9-year old daughter is staying with my wife and me for a few days. Maybe I can get HER to rent it for me... :D

Comment

Okay guys, you've outed another innocent viewer.

D: I never read the comic books, but I was raised by television and so have seen many episodes of the Hanna Barbarra classic cartoon. Here's the lyrics to the theme song:

Josie and the Pussycats
        Long tails and and ears for hats
        Guitars and sharps and flats
        Neat, sweet, a groovy song
        You're invited, come along.

Hurry, Hurry

See ya all in Persia
        Or maybe France
        We could be India
        Or perchance
        Be with us in Bangkok
        Make no difference
        Everywhere the actions at
        We're involved with this or that

Cone along now

Josie and the Pussycats
        No time for purrs and pats
        Won't run when they here scat
        There where the plot begins
        Come on and watch the good guys win
        Josie and the Pussycats
        Josie and the Pussycats.

This site gives you some clue to the cartoon I refer to. Furthermore, please note the giant flying space penis in the second photo.

http://members.aol.com/horemheb/josietv.htm

But, please get a hold of Saturday Morning Cartoons cd cover collection. Some great bands cover the themes we Americans use as our internal soundtracks while be buy real estate.

The following four tracks rock the fuck on:

5. Josie and the Pussycats - Tanya Donelly
        9. Spiderman - The Ramones
        10. Johnny Quest/Stop That Pigeon - The Reverend Horton Heat
        15. Friends/Sigmund And The Seamonsters - Tripping Daisy

Track 10 is outta sight!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...87814?v=glance
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
          My sister's 9-year old daughter is staying with my wife and me for a few days. Maybe I can get HER to rent it for me... :D
          Well, I remember seeing a message board for the film aimed at parents, and some felt that there were a few slightly risque jokes which might make the film unsuitable for small children... make of that what you will. I think they're the sort of jokes which will go over a child's head, but some parents may be horrified to see a record company executive with a huge stash of cocaine on her desk! Made me laugh, but I don't have any young, innocent minds to shield.

I still remember being laughed at by the ticket seller when I went to see The Powerpuff Girls Movie, so I understand your hesitancy.

If it's any incentive, the cast do look incredibly cute throughout the movie, escpecilly Dawson and Cook... and Reid is actually quite sweet in this film, playing a "ditzy" blonde.

Originally posted by Berry
          This site gives you some clue to the cartoon I refer to. Furthermore, please note the giant flying space penis in the second photo.
          I love the idea of just suddenly deciding to put your characters into space. Like when they made that Happy Days cartoon, and decided to give them a time machine for no adequately explained reason. It sets a great precedent... if you ever run out of ideas for a story, just have everyone abducted by aliens or time travellers and taken on a wacky journey. Also, a shout-out has to go to those old "Scooby-Doo meets..." cartoons. Classics.

Originally posted by Berry
          But, please get a hold of Saturday Morning Cartoons cd cover collection. Some great bands cover the themes we Americans use as our internal soundtracks while be buy real estate.
          Got it. Love it! Mostly I bought it for The Ramones, but pretty much every track on there is a classic. Obviously some of the themes aren't familiar to me, but they're still pretty good. My faves are:

1. Tra la la Song (One Banana, Two Banana) - Material Issue
          11. Open Up Your Heart and Let the Sunshine In - Frente!
          12. Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah (Means I Love You) - Violent Femmes

I also have a compilation of the original themes, which means that my CD collection actually contains three different versions of the Josie song... I'm not sure whether to be proud of that, or deeply ashamed?

Thanks for the link Berry... although it has made me want to check out the comics. Darn you!

D...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
            12. Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah (Means I Love You) - Violent Femmes

I also have a compilation of the original themes, which means that my CD collection actually contains three different versions of the Josie song... I'm not sure whether to be proud of that, or deeply ashamed?
            You should be deeply ashamed for admitting to liking a Violent Femmes song.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
              You should be deeply ashamed for admitting to liking a Violent Femmes song.
              I also liked their version of "I Can Change" from the South Park soundtrack album... commence shame: :oops:

D...

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                10. Johnny Quest/Stop That Pigeon - The Reverend Horton Heat
                First of all, Berry, I'm very impressed with your Josie knowledge--especially the theme song :)

While we're outing ourselves about all things embarrassing...

I wss going through the list of theme songs and saw Johnny Quest. Man, I loved that show. I may have liked it more when I was 22 than when I was 8.

Comment

Johnny Quest was great. Haji is da man!

Here's a good site I found for tv theme's and sound clips.

http://www.fozzy42.com/SoundClips.html

Here's a few samples:

Land of the Lost

Fat Albert

The Twilight Zone

There's also alot of movie clips. There are a few other links on that site to other sound clip sites too. Good site.
                  When they had advanced together to meet on common
                  ground, then there was the clash of shields, of spears
                  and the fury of men cased in bronze; bossed shields met
                  each other and the din rose loud. Then there were
                  mingled the groaning and the crowing of men killed and
                  killing, and the ground ran with blood.

Homer, The Illiad

Comment

Land of the Lost!!! What a great show; Big fake, stryofoam boulders and all. Man, TV isn't the same these days.

Comment

Land of the Lost! The sleazestacks (sp?) scared me to death when I was a kid. Apparently I was a bit of a wimp. :)

Comment

"Ogaanza! Ogaanza bisaasaa!" --Chaka (Land of the Lost)

[somethin somethin] to a thousand feet below...
                        ... to the Land of the Looooost! ... to the Land of the LOOOOOOST!
                        ::allisaurus ROOOAWR!::
                        \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                        Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

Disclaimer: First official cider-fuelled, drunken post by DeeCrowSeer:

Well, if y'all are gonna make references to shows I've never seen, I'm gonna sing:

"Children of the sun,
                          Now your time has just begun,
                          Searching for something something,
                          Through adventures every day..."

The City of Gold.. with that big plane made to look like an eagle... No? Just me then.

D...

Comment

Is bad CGI the styrofoam boulders of tommorow??

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                              Is bad CGI the styrofoam boulders of tommorow??
                              No, they are the floppy prosthetic hobbit feet of today.

Comment

Working...
                              X