Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

London Film & Comic Con July 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Film & Comic Con July 2014

My daughter and I spent an exhausting but good couple of days at the Summer London Film & Comic Con in Earl's Court this weekend; we were both able to meet Stan Lee and get his autograph and I managed to get signatures from David Lloyd, Dave Gibbons, John Higgins, Bryan Talbot, Peter Milligan, John Wagner and Howard Chaykin.

(For the purpose of clarity: I'd already got Alan Moore's signature some years ago (2009?); he wasn't at LFCC!)

Given that my previous Comic Con experience was UKCAC some twenty years ago, there were some things the LFCC did better but others they didn't. I think ShowMasters (the folk behind LFCC) are, primarily, focussed on making money (through the selling of autographs via celebs) than with organising a proper Comic Con - the emphasis on Film in the title is arguably indicative of this. So there was no introductory session where anything was really explained to attendees and no schedule of events printed in the programme (even as an insert). Earl's Court is obviously an exhibition venue rather than a conference centre so the acoustics weren't terribly good since there was a general rumble of low-level background noise pretty much everywhere you went.

This was particularly noticeable during a Sunday afternoon panel with Dave Gibbons (and friends) on the origins of Comics Fandom moderated, I think, by Jon Ingersoll of GCD but since the panel was pushed off into a corner to one end of the Brompton Hall then panellists had to shout to make themselves heard I'm not sure I caught his name properly. (Other panellists included Phil Clarke - who organised the first British Comic Convention in 1968 and Prof. Anthony Roach, another early alumni of British comics fandom). What I could hear of the panel was very interesting and there were various examples of early fanzines of the type familiar to anyone who's seen Mike's own fanzines from the '50s. There was, as Dave Gibbons summed up at the end, something very much like the essence of those early days in the panel's organisation where they didn't have the Internet, email, or PayPal to facilitate ease communication/access and more emphasis on fans helping fans out for its own sake, i.e. trading Golden Age comics for cheap UK weeklies, and in that sense it seemed to work. That said, a proper room without the distraction of the wider exhibition going on would have been preferable.

There also seemed to be a lack of communication between the organisers and the crew members, since I asked a number of times about specific events supposed to be taking place but couldn't find out either where they were meant to happen or even if they were happening at all.

On the plus side, even though the Film & TV guests were charging for signatures (in common with other ShowMasters events I've been to, such as CollectorMania) the comics guests didn't, so I was able to pickup seven signatures from Howard Chaykin. I did pay for a 'V' sketch from David Lloyd and a full Batman script from Peter Milligan. I also bought a copy of The Graphic Novel Man DVD from Bryan Talbot:

My daughter also enjoyed the event, particularly the Sherlocked Preview event (attended by Steven Moffat, Sue Venture & Mark Gatiss) as well as a Doctor Who panel with Paul McGann and Colin Baker. She also spent a lot of money on Pop Vinyl figures (inc. a Stan Lee one) and photos of her various favourite fandoms (Sherlock, Supernatural, Hannibal, Dr Who, etc) for her bedroom. So, an enjoyable and worthwhile weekend but very exhausting.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

The rest of my 'haul' from the weekend:

I also picked up these items as well:

The Cornelius novel & Ariel #3 (containing the Elric story, 'The Last Enchantment') were both acquired from a stall run by LonCon 3, who were giving books away free in direct contrast to all that other stalls that were more profit-motivated. Return to Armageddon is an old-skool 2000AD SF/horror adventure that fans have been asking for a trade collection of for years and since it was on a 33% discount - and not officially released for another month(!) - it was a no-brainer to purchase.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

You have been busy!

I only read about this one, a few days ago, so I didn't have time to worry about the possiblity of getting some money together or taking time off. I went to the UKCAC once (1989, I think). Met Leo Baxendle and caught up with Jim Baikie again (long story... ). Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons did a Q&A about Watchmen, for which they received Eagel Awards. Happy days!

Stan Lee and Alan Moore in the same building? Interesting.

That would have been a very tempting reason for me to head back to The Smoke. I went on pilgrimage to Aachen in Germany, last month, to see the holy relics and check out the special exhibitions commemorating the 1200th anniversary of the death of Charlemagne, last month. So can't complain. We Fortean Mediaevalists have our priorities. Still, could have been a close call.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
        Again, just to clarify (unless I've misunderstood the above comment*), Alan wasn't in attendance at the LFCC.

*In which case, I apologise for being 'thick'.

Comment

Great treasures, David, congrats!
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Awesome and fantastic, thanks for sharing David!
            "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
            'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
              Originally posted by Pietro_Mercurios View Post
              Again, just to clarify (unless I've misunderstood the above comment*), Alan wasn't in attendance at the LFCC.

My mistake. Thought it was too good to be true.

Comment

Working...
              X