Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Brazilian World Cup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian World Cup thread

Yeah

I said I was not comment on it but it is impossible.

This is interesting :

World Cup Opinions in 19 Countries: Likes, Dislikes, Predictions

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/up...ions.html?_r=0

Yeah, I knew today that the French team, which is being hosted in Ribeirao Preto-SP ( well my HOME TOWN ) and they are complaining and expressing it clearly that the city has no evident poverty and yet all they can see are fancy buildings and malls.
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

I'm supporting Belgium on the (IMHO) sensible basis that I can drink Belgian beer while doing so. In fact, on that basis, I might have done so even in the freakish case of Scotland qualifying!

As to what has been: Spain's poor performance prior to the cup has been maintained in a most humbling manner, while I was delighted that Costa Rica beat Uruguay (we Scots will never forget being hacked off the park in 1986... I see from the red card count, here and in their five "friendlies" prior to the cup, that little has changed in the interim)

Comment

I'm not really bothered if England do well or not. All I'm interested in is a great tournament, loads of goals, some shock results and that all the Liverpool players playing in Brazil come back uninjured.

I also hope that the tournament somehow helps to bring Brazil together as a nation and creates some sort of economic bow wave that benefits everyone in the country.
      Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

I am rooting for England, USA and Australia and whoever plays against Brazil.
        If Brazil wins, the "soccer nation" will forget all the public money that leaked to the robber's hole and we will have to stand Dilma Roussef and her party for a few more years. If Brazil loses the World Cup, well, we will be able to complain but at least PT will be harshly accused. Either way, the money spent would be lost.
        "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
        "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

FIFA as a "non-profit" organization is as evil as any US multinational corporation (hello, Disney!), so I find myself sharing the emotional quandary so well described last Sunday by John Oliver on HBO when I devote time and money (i.e., the Cup-related % of my monthly TV bill payable to Verizon) viewing their products.

Nevertheless, I love watching the sport's cream-of-the-crop players do what they do best and I'm rooting for the CONCACAF teams* and Colombia (i.e., native land of a sister-in-law) to rattle all the nets they can before they get sent home! I concur with Rothgo: the Costa Rica game was a thriller.

Brazil looks like a beautiful place in so many ways. It's a crying shame that the costs and corporate demands attendant to the tournament have fueled such widespread anger and division; I read in the paper earlier today that the cops at one protest site fired off live ammo. I hope that things get better for the Brazilian people as the weeks go on. A stupid sports tournament shouldn't cause such chaos.

Imagine all CONCACAF teams go out in the group stage; those losses could be the straw that allows FIFA to move CONCACAF from 3.5 World Cup spots to 2.5, which would make the workload in going to future World Cups a hassle for our entire region.
          Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 06-16-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I mostly back the "smaller countries", Colombia, Costa Rica, even Iran in a way, as I think the more Iranians get in touch with the rest of the world the more they will be "infected" by the positve aspects of a non-clerical world.
            Let's see how Belgium fares. My wife saw the Netherlands game and reported how casual and relaxed the players seem. Less fanatism is what I hope for.
            I was very appalled by the ADIDAS campaign showing players with a bleedig cow heart and the slogan: I give my heart for the World Cup! Utterly tasteless and it got ADIDAS waves of protests. In other adds they show their fancy shoes and use a slogan like "My weapons for the battle!" What??? I beg your pardon, are we at war?

If Germany stays in for another while it is most advantageous as the traffic is easier while they play and shorter cues at the supermarkets
            Not particularly supporting my country's team when I came home I saw repeat of the brutal deliberate foul by a Portuguese player yesterday (player???) and such things make you wonder if it isn't just Ersatz-wars some people are out for.

That said I wish you all lots of fun watching and good luck for whoever you support!
            L'E
            Google ergo sum

Comment

Said I was rooting against Brazil and today I really supported our team against Mexico ( which happens to be a nation I sympathize the most out all countries in LA ). It was an ok game. Looks like Netherlands is playing the best soccer, but honestly they have been my second favorite national team since I have seen Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard team for the first time in the late 80s. They should have won the 1990 tournament.

Costa Rica seems to be a great surprise this time but they are one of the most promising countries in Latin America in all terms.
              Last edited by zlogdan; 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L'Etranger View Post
                I mostly back the "smaller countries", Colombia, Costa Rica, even Iran in a way, as I think the more Iranians get in touch with the rest of the world the more they will be "infected" by the positve aspects of a non-clerical world.
                Speaking of Iran I really recommend this documentary

http://www.freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=151

This is a BBC Documentary filmed in Iran. It depicts a extensive view of the non-clerical Iran and it is not a surprise to see that they have a very rich culture and their regular people are not different from us here in Brazil. Specially like the part of this documentary that deals with strong female public persons. I actually recommend the whole:

http://www.freedocumentaries.org

Site.

I have a friend who 10 years ago had to travel all the day through Africa and Asia and he said that Tehran - apart from the obvious anti-Occident view their more radical leaders have - is a very nice and beautiful city. I am not saying that as an anti-american or pro terrorism guy, which I am not.I have Just liked the remind made my L'Stranger about Iran.
                Last edited by zlogdan; 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I'm rooting for Italy! Hopefully they can tie Brazil as the only 5 time champs!

Comment

Sorry, Magellan, I wish some team that isn't composed of disproportionally over-paid people wins. It maybe be an illusion, but still I'd love to see some nation win that hasn't before.
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

I, Harriet Mosley, can hereby claim £5 from my father, David Mosley.

My dad, commonly known here as David Mosley, said to me one evening that Multiverse was probably the only website/social network of which did not have any comments about The World Cup.
                      I bet him £5 that that would soon change. To claim this, he stated that I had to create an account and make post.

Looks like I'm £5 richer ;D

Comment

A fiver per paragraph? (Well, there's only one). That's better than most authors ever get: well done yersel'!

Comment

Fair play to my daughter who can expect a 'bonus' in next month's pocket money. (Thanks pards, I really owe ya' all for that! )

Now, if I could just get Harriet to read one of Mike's books sometime...
                          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Mosley View Post
                            Fair play to my daughter who can expect a 'bonus' in next month's pocket money. (Thanks pards, I really owe ya' all for that! )

Now, if I could just get Harriet to read one of Mike's books sometime...
                            HAHHA Please tell your daughter that she owes me a small tip since I started this thread Just kidding...

David, at least, you have gotten to have her read other great books and comics. I am still struggling in this regard. My youngest son is a promising nerd, although he does not like the term. My oldest son is an already established nerd, but they both seem to dislike "my stuff" in favor of video games. We played RPG a few years ago and my youngest is into Star Wars and is a Pokemon fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Harriet Mosley View Post
                              My dad, commonly known here as David Mosley, said to me one evening that Multiverse was probably the only website/social network of which did not have any comments about The World Cup.
                              I bet him £5 that that would soon change. To claim this, he stated that I had to create an account and make post.

Looks like I'm £5 richer ;D
                              Harriet, can you predict correct results too?
                              Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

Working...
                              X