Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Six Nations 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Nations 2014

It's back again, waiting to dominate the TV schedules for the next few weeks.

Of course, it is now part of the build up to the big event next of the Rugby World cup in 2015. I agree with Brian Moore about it being wide open, although England's first match is France away; which is always tricky.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...and-glory.html

I suspect we will have an outright winner, but no Grand Slam. Other than an England winning, I would like a solid and improving performance from England (and beating New Zealand, at least once in the summer.

Wales still a class outfit, but what matters is beating Southern Hemisphere opposition of the big three. If they can provide the bulk of the Lions and coaches, why fail against these big teams? Hear break for Ireland at last autumn to lose in extra time, but hopefully something to build on. Scotland might get a big win against one of the stronger opposition. Praying it doesn't rain when England play. France are well, France. Cliched but true. Maybe Italy will probably make two wins.
    Papa was a Rolling Stone......

In the traditional Scottish manner, we've been having a problem in arranging a pub trip for the first Scottish game: "do we want beers before or after we get gubbed?" is the bone of contention!

Comment

Looks like BBC America isn't covering the matches this year, so I'm out. Unless, of course, I can find them online (for free!), or add another sports channel (not free :( ) that will be covering them.

I really don't follow the NH matches that much, preferring the SH teams and games. I was keeping up with Bath because I like Biggs (feisty li'l feller), but he's switching codes and going over to Hull, so that's that since I'm not a fan of the league game.

I find it hard to warm to the northern teams (I've long been a NZ supporter, with the Crusaders my favorite club team). I just feel more connected to the SH teams and players because theirs were the first games I ever watched. I also tend to like the flow of the game better, especially comparing the international game in 6 Nations to the Rugby Championship (former Tri-Nations). Seems the SH prefer the running game, whereas the NH teams kick more for territory, and if I wanted to watch a lot of punting back and forth I would just watch football. ;)

das

Comment

We had a bit of a rugby family reunion this weekend. My dad and his four sons went to see the team he used to play for, Westoe, play the team I used to play for, Waterloo, in Liverpool.

Waterloo won 15 - 0 to record only their third victory of the season. Wasn't like that in my day.
        Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

The first two weeks were a total washout: no skill evident from any team; no fun except for those who only care about the win (if they were so blessed).

This weekend though: blimey! Wales were simply superb; the other two games splendid examples of to-the-wire competition. More of that please!

Comment

A cynic might suggest, Rothgo, that you're only interested in the 6 Nations as a proper competition now that Scotland have avoided the wooden spoon.

Not me,of course, I wouldn't be that cynical.

It was a great sporting weekend though. A very good rugby match on Friday night, three more on Saturday (including the England vs Ireland womens' match), interspersed with Winter Olympics slidey stuff. Then off to Anfield on Sunday for a 7 goal thriller. Marvellous!
            Let me tell you a story 'bout a poor boy....

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
              The first two weeks were a total washout: no skill evident from any team; no fun except for those who only care about the win (if they were so blessed).

This weekend though: blimey! Wales were simply superb; the other two games splendid examples of to-the-wire competition. More of that please!
              Ireland took Wales to the cleaners in their match, it reminded me of Wales beating England last year.

Superb titanic battle on Saturday with England just overcoming Ireland. France appear all over the shop and look as if they have gone back to the France of old.
              Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

Originally posted by porcus_volans View Post
                A cynic might suggest, Rothgo, that you're only interested in the 6 Nations as a proper competition now that Scotland have avoided the wooden spoon.

Not me,of course, I wouldn't be that cynical. ...
                Sadly that will have been all the "competition" Scotland will be putting forward this year!

Pebble is quite right that Ireland really did Wales over; though IMHO it was a poor Ireland vs. an awful Wales. One hopes that all the teams can put the below par performances of the first two weeks behind them and that the tournament's end games are top notch (whoever wins - though I guarantee its won't be my mob!)

Comment

Working...
                X