Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Granbretan League 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granbretan League 1

Not sure if there's any fantasy football fans out there, but if there is or if you fancy giving it a go then I've started a League called Granbretan League 1 on Fantasy Premier League. It's free to join, so give it a go! Test you (lack of) football knowledge against your fellow forumers!

To join you have to create a team, then clicky League on the Menu, clicky the Create/Join tab, then copy/paste this code: 888098-197120, in the join private league box and hey presto! you've been promoted into the only helmet wearing football league in the Tragic Millennium! Anyway, it should work... I've not tried it myself as I created the league.

[Note: I'll also copy this post into the old World Cup thread just in case]
    forum

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
    2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
    3. a public meeting place for open discussion

PS. In my experience having an extensive football knowledge is little help, so if you think that you don't know your onions, don't worry... you'll probably win!
    forum

Comment

hi m8
      Just joined Jumpers 4 Goal Posts

Comment

Originally posted by Davtho View Post
        hi m8
        Just joined Jumpers 4 Goal Posts
        Good good - a two person league makes a start! :)
        forum

Comment

Sorry EA i tried but the site was just too complicated!
          I joined up and made a team but-
          Couldnt find any of the tabs you mentioned.
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
            Sorry EA i tried but the site was just too complicated!
            I joined up and made a team but-
            Couldnt find any of the tabs you mentioned.
            No worries, when I was typing it I was wondering if it would make any sense, so here it is again.

Step 1) Basically, once you've logged on, done your team, etc... you need to click 'Leagues' (see red arrow) on the side Menu.

Step 2) You click the 'Create/Join' tab.

Step 3) Copy/paste the code to join the Granbretan League. The code is: 888098-197120. Then click 'Join Private League' below.

And with luck that should work... :)

I don't know what happens after that because I didn't have to do any of that guff - I just had to name the league... which was easy, except I wanted to call it 'The League at the End of Time' but it was too many characters - damn it!
            Last edited by The English Assassin; 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM.
            forum

Comment

Got it EA!!
              Cheers!
              Somehow i managed to miss noticing the wee box you have to type the code into.
              Doesn't mean im going to show any mercy on the pitch though!
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Anyway, some tips if you've never had the dubious 'pleasure' of fantasy football before, although these tips are only for this Fantasy Premier League site, as different sites have different rules. The rules for how points are awarded I won't go into here (they're somewhere on the site), but needless to say you get points for goals, assists, clean sheets, etc... and these points vary depending upon what position your player is in. You lose points for red cards, own goals and goals conceded, etc...

Anyway, here's some tips (most of which might be quite obvious)

1) You can change and tweak your team as much as you like before the season starts (in 3 weeks time), so now's your time to experiment!
                2) Player values go up and down during the season, so you can do some Harry Redknapp style wheelin' and dealin' - indeed I think there's a mini-league on the site for the most valuable teams
                3) Substitutions are automatic, so if one of your players doesn't play then the site should sub one of your auxiliary players in, but should you know a player is injured or whatever you can do your own subbing/team changes if you want, but they must be made before the game week deadline.
                4) Your captain gets double points, so choose wisely.
                5) You can transfer one player for another per week (providing you've got the funds), but after that it costs you points (4 pts I think), which can get quite expensive if you're not careful, but sometimes you just have to do it
                6) There are two wild card transfers you can make per season. One can be played at any time. The other can only be played between week 22 and week 27 for some reason. Now these are useful, because if you are anything like me you will realise that you don't know anything about football and that the players you have selected are rubbish. Playing the wild card allows you to make any number of transfers in that week without incurring any point cost. Yep, you can sack the entire team if you like and hire another - although obviously the transfers still cost you money in the game. The first time I played I selected just any old players before the start of the season with the intention of tweaking my side before the season kicked off, but I forgot to do it in time... after the first week I had hardly any points and realised that half my players weren't even playing and the other half were just rubbish, so I has to play my wild card in week 2! Which must be something of a record! Anyway, my advice is save your wild card for when you're riddled with injuries or just bored of your team. And a few days before the season starts, check your team and make sure they haven't been sold off to the Championship or where ever! :)

That's all my words of wisdom for now. In my experience having a great knowledge of football is nooooo advantage. There'll always be players who you've never noticed a season ago, who do brilliantly - so look out for them during the first couple of weeks and transfer them in before their price goes up and flog your dead wood quickly! The beauty with it is you can spend as much or little effort as you like. Some weeks I've spent an age planning my next transfer and adjusting my formation, but then, for a month or so, I've forgotten all about it and I get a nice or nasty surprise when I see what's happened. Tis all good fun! :)
                forum

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                  Got it EA!!
                  Cheers!
                  Somehow i managed to miss noticing the wee box you have to type the code into.
                  Doesn't mean im going to show any mercy on the pitch though!
                  Tis good to have you on board, my good man! Although I feel we need a few more to make the league interesting! At this rate we'll all qualify for the champions League and all get relegated at the same time!
                  forum

Comment

Avast, ye Multiversal Premier Leaguers! You've got a 4th team in yer league: The Argzoon.

Muchas gracias for setting this up and letting us know about it EA! I'm looking forward to this (which was typed with one eye on LA Galaxy vs. Real Madrid...Madrid won after taking the lead, 3-2, 71st minute).
                    Last edited by Guzzlecrank; 08-07-2010, 10:10 PM. Reason: Score update!

Comment

Nice one GC!!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Ahhhh... slowly my plan comes to fruition as our numbers grow... like the taint of chaos we shall spread through the Young Kingdoms... mawahahahaaha!
                        forum

Comment

Well the first weekend of the new season is almost over, Man U are 2-0 up against Newcastle as I type... and the Granbretan League is only four clubs - which isn't surprising seeing as most of the country is a wasteland - so how did it go? Looks like two of us had a good start to the season, one had an average and another had a poor start. Still, it's early days, so don't give up!

Also I think it bares repeating that you can tweak your side with a few well chosen transfers and turn an average side into a good one quite easily. Try to dump those players who have fallen out of favour this season and keep your eyes open for a surprise player or two. There's still some potential bargains out there. Also remember that there's some 'must have' players. No one can afford them all, but those most expensive players can be worth the cash, so don't be shy in signing a Rooney or Lampard. They might be cocks in real life, but they're point machines in fantasy football terms. And if you really think your team is hopeless then transfer in a new team and play your wild card. As I said, once I played mine in week 2! But don't panic, a few cunning transfers might be all you need.
                          forum

Comment

Just made a couple of transfers EA!
                            The Rovers are notorious slow starters so im not too worried yet and if it all goes wrong i can always use the team founders Kiev connections!

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

You'd better believe it! Transfer city. Muchas gracias for the detailed guidance, EA.

Comment

Working...
                              X