Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

An ensorcelled sword? A sword-wielding sorceror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ensorcelled sword? A sword-wielding sorceror?

I just wanted to make the first post, but didn't really have anything on my mind (too hot to think today--it's actually hot in Seattle, for once). Or very Peas today. I think that used to be rhyming slang for hot. Hot as peas in a pot.

I'm babbling...

The only sword-wielding sorceror that I can think of is Gandalf, who schleps Glamdring around.

As all D&D players know, wizards don't use swords. 3rd. Edition might have changed that, but I don't do 3rd. Ed.
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Unless you count Melniboneans....
      Best/Mario

Comment

Hi Peasily does Prince Gaynor The Damned fit the bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
          Unless you count Melniboneans....
          I was thinking of Elric and his people, but they're more warrior/sorcerors?

Still thinking in D&D terms.
          Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

I'll admit to some unfamiliarity with the present D&D system (it's been 15 years since I gamed regularly) but the impression I get from the present comic is that sorcery is fairly uncommon among the Melniboneans, and highly difficult to learn.
            Best/Mario

Comment

In the novel Elric of Melnibone, Elric is the first Melnibonean able to summon Arioch in centuries. Most of his countrymen are evidently not very good sorcerors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario
                I'll admit to some unfamiliarity with the present D&D system (it's been 15 years since I gamed regularly) but the impression I get from the present comic is that sorcery is fairly uncommon among the Melniboneans, and highly difficult to learn.
                I had the impression that only the Melnibonian nobles were allowed to study sorcery. Did the sorcerers of Pan Tang ever use swords. I seem to remember Jagreen Lern using an axe during the final battle of Stormbringer.
                I also seem to remember a sorcerer named Xaltotune, who used a sword ( I believe) from an old R.E.H. Kull book. Sadly, I dont have the book any more, so I cannot verify.
                Some of the people in the Darksword stories used swords, and all of them (Except Joram) were sorcerers.

Comment

The..."PanTangians" had an army of priest-warriors I remember.I guess they were some sort of weak wizards wtih weapons.

Grey Mouser had some skill in magic but he was actually a fighter.

You can find some interesting wizards-warriors in The Malazaan book of the fallen. Also there is a cool magical sword,the one that the Lord of the Moon Spawn has.

Comment

Kane from K.E.Wagner is a sorcerer and a swordman ...... and a good one in both roles

Comment

Working...
                    X