Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Under the Influence of... MM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under the Influence of... MM

A while back I read this interview with author Richard Morgan (actually, I read it after following a Fortean Times link posted by somebody here, so... uhhh... squaring the cosmic circle or something). I thought it might be of interest to others here and so I'm finally getting around to posting the link:

http://www.forteantimes.com/features...rd_morgan.html

Here's the reason it might be of interest:
    "I always loved old-school sword-and-sorcery. Moorcock’s work is among my favourites, and I think I always had a hankering to write some of my own."
    Maybe if anybody else finds similar interviews from other writers openly acknowledging the influence, they could add them in? Might make for a nice collection.
    Last edited by Heresiologist; 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM.

The list is huge, quoting from memory I can mention:

Neil Gaiman
    Alan Moore
    Jeff Vandermeer
    Tad Williams
    Warren Ellis
    China Mieville
    etc

I bet the list is huge...
    "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
    "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

Even though he's not specifically a writer, we could always throw in Gary Gygax. He freely admitted to being influenced by Monsieur Moorcock's work (among others) in his co-creation of D&D, as discussed in this recent thread.
      “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

Comment

Try this thread for starters:
        Looking for authors who have been influenced by Moorcock

Comment

Working...
        X