Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Robert E. Howard

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert E. Howard

Some time ago I purchased the first volume of the Conan the Cimmerian stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Conan-C...4644409&sr=1-1

Having finally gotten around to it and read three stories -- Phoenix in the Sword, Frost-Giant's daughter, The Queen of the Black Coast -- all I can say is wow! I saw at the beginning pages of the book praises from authors and Michael Moorcock was one of them I've somewhat known that Elric served as Conan's antithesis which Mike developed while looking for some originality in S&S, but, wow! Being someone born in Western Society, I feel as though I've read or seen the plots of the stories and characters before somewhere -- but I don't know where!

Last Sunday I went to Barnes & Noble and while looking at the Fantasy Section I found Robert E Howard's books and stumbled upon his Kull: Exile of Atlantis.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Champion99; 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM.

Conan is really great stuff. I picked them up because I wanted to read some of earliest sword & sorcery I could find and was amazed at how much fun they were even years later. A genre grew up around them but they're still some of the most entertaining stories you can find for my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidshadows View Post
      Conan is really great stuff. I picked them up because I wanted to read some of earliest sword & sorcery I could find and was amazed at how much fun they were even years later. A genre grew up around them but they're still some of the most entertaining stories you can find for my money.
      Yes. And it seemed only too soon that we were deprived of such a great fantasy writer when he committed suicide at the age of 30. And to think he was at the height of his literary career too. RIP REH
      Last edited by Cosmic_Champion99; 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Howard is great - I really like the Bran Mak Morn collection (though mainly for The Worms of the Earth - which is one of the best Howard ever wrote IMO).

Red Nails and The Tower of the Elephant are probably my favorite Conan stories. I first read Howard in the 80's when I was a kid, when Sphere published his stories in several collections (most of them edited by Sprague De Camp) along with the Conan books written by other authors.

Having read the unedited versions years later I'm wondering why De Camp edited them in the first place. There are subtle changes of wording in The God in the Bowl, but The Dark Man was actually retitled to The Treasure of Tranicos and the story is actually quite a bit different to Howard's. Perhaps De Camp was working from a different draft, I can't see how that sort of creative license would be justifiable otherwise.

If you can still get it - you should take a look at Howard's crusade stories (the Lord of Samarcand is the version I have), those are easily as good.

Also check out Harold Lambs Cossack stories and Talbot Mundy's Tros books. Well worth it if you can get them.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

I love Howards original work as well. We are getting ready to get a new version of one of his Characters on Film. Will they stay true to Howard? I guess we'll find out. Its got Pete Postlethwaite in it, so it can't be all bad...

Look for Solomon Kane (film) on Wikipedia.

(I tried to post a link, but it didn't go where it was supposed to)
          Last edited by seanpmc1; 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seanpmc1 View Post
            I love Howards original work as well. We are getting ready to get a new version of one of his Characters on Film. Will they stay true to Howard? I guess we'll find out. Its got Pete Postlethwaite in it, so it can't be all bad...

Look for Solomon Kane (film) on Wikipedia.

(I tried to post a link, but it didn't go where it was supposed to)
            Yeah I'm not holding my breath for Solomon Kane - I heard they cast James Purefoy as Kane. Pretty terrible casting for that character IMO - if anything they need a Clint Eastwood type to play him, rather than a poor man's Hugh Jackman (which in itself is as good an indication as any that the character probably won't remain true to the original).

The Red Nails cartoon movie has been in development for ever - not sure if its ever going to be released.

There is an entry in IMDB for a Conan movie that's due out in 2010, but there is no mention of any casting, which is something that should really have been established by now if the project had been greenlit for a 2010 release date. Plus Brett (Rush Hour) Ratner is directing...
            Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
              Its got Pete Postlethwaite in it, so it can't be all bad...
              That was a reference to Roger Ebert (or maybe it was Siskel) making the statement once that anything with Pete Postlethwaite in it couldn't be all bad...

My own opinion, they will screw it up horribly, but that doesn't mean I won't like it. I absolutely love "The Thirteenth Warrior", where everybody else seems to think its horrible. I didn't read the book though, so maybe thats why.

I haven't watched any of Basset's other films, so I don't know anything about him. Max von Sydow is in it as well as well as Alice Krige (Borg Queen). The only thing I've seen Purefoy in was "A Knights Tale"...

(For what its worth, I think Viggo Mortensen or Sean Bean would have done quite nicely)
              Last edited by seanpmc1; 04-06-2009, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Sean Bean, I once saw reference to his name pronounced as "Born". Is that right? I don't see how you could get Born out of Bean, but I don't get "Tims" out of Thames either...

Comment

Its got Pete Postlethwaite in it, so it can't be all bad...
                  That was a reference to Roger Ebert (or maybe it was Siskel) making the statement once that anything with Pete Postlethwaite in it couldn't be all bad...

My own opinion, they will screw it up horribly, but that doesn't mean I won't like it. I absolutely love "The Thirteenth Warrior", where everybody else seems to think its horrible. I didn't read the book though, so maybe thats why.

I haven't watched any of Basset's other films, so I don't know anything about him. Max von Sydow is in it as well as well as Alice Krige (Borg Queen). The only thing I've seen Purefoy in was "A Knights Tale"...

(For what its worth, I think Viggo Mortensen or Sean Bean would have done quite nicely)
                  Purefoy was good as Mark Antony in 'Rome', but that's a much different character to Solomon Kane. He was also in V For Vendetta as 'V' before the producers hired Hugo Weaving to dub the dialog Before that he'd been in some Sci-Fi Channel monster of the week movies - TV movie D&D type stuff. Really quite bad (though to be fair - not because of him).

13th Warrior was OK I thought - though it was basically a retread of Beowulf (with some Seven Samurai thrown in), though from what I understand it was a troubled production - and John McTiernan, the original director was fired after principal photography and Michael Crichton ended up doing a bunch of reshoots.

Viggo Mortenson is a good actor - I don't really care for Bean, though he probably would have made a good Kane (though a bit long in the tooth for it these days).

Comment

Viggo Mortenson is a good actor
                    Although he is good at everything I've seen him in, my favorite Mortenson part was "Lucifer" in "The Prophecy" ("God's Army" in Europe).

The best of his part of the film (IMO) was the end, when he says "Leave the light on, Thomas", then walks out and explodes into a flock of Crows...

Comment

Speaking of Sean Bean, I once saw reference to his name pronounced as "Born". Is that right? I don't see how you could get Born out of Bean, but I don't get "Tims" out of Thames either...
                      Sean Bean is pronounced

(so not 'sorn born' or 'seen been').
                      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been wondering about that ever since I saw that reference. Back when the LOTR first came out, I was reading a review about it and someone had posted that it was pronounced Born.

I did know how to pronounce Sean though...

Plenty of other people over here still don't though. Half my teachers in both Grade-school and High-School called me "Seen" when they first met me. Last time I got pulled over, the Highway Patrolman called me Seen. You would think as famous as Sean Connery and Sean Bean are, people would eventually make the connection.

Comment

I've actually heard it pronounced Seen Been

Comment

I have seen that Mr. Bean character before as far as photographs, but never watched the show or heard the name pronounced. So I am assuming that in both his, and Sean's case it is pronounced like the legume, as in Ham and Beans?

I guess theoretically the "ean" could be pronounced "on" like it is in Sean. There is a difference between Sean and Shawn over here. Usually in the case of Shawn, the W is pronounced, where Sean is usually pronounced without the W. I don't know how they pronounce it in Ireland, but in the Movie "The Quiet Man" Maureen O'Hara pronounces it like I do, without the W sound. I'm pretty sure I read that she was born in Ireland, so I assume dropping the W sound is correct over there too.

There are several Brit words that are confusing to me. Thames, as I mentioned before, and the use of Zed instead of Zee are the first that come to mind. I first heard "Zed" on "Top Gear" when Jeremy referred to a Z06 Corvette as a Zed06. I thought Clarkson was just making another stupid American joke, then on another episode he mentioned an IROC-Zed Camaro.
                            Last edited by seanpmc1; 04-07-2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

I have seen that Mr. Bean character before as far as photographs, but never watched the show or heard the name pronounced. So I am assuming that in both his, and Sean's case it is pronounced like the legume, as in Ham and Beans?

I guess theoretically the "ean" could be pronounced "on" like it is in Sean. There is a difference between Sean and Shawn over here. Usually in the case of Shawn, the W is pronounced, where Sean is usually pronounced without the W. I don't know how they pronounce it in Ireland, but in the Movie "The Quiet Man" Maureen O'Hara pronounces it like I do, without the W sound. I'm pretty sure I read that she was born in Ireland, so I assume dropping the W sound is correct over there too.

There are several Brit words that are confusing to me. Thames, as I mentioned before, and the use of Zed instead of Zero are the first that come to mind. I first heard "Zed" on "Top Gear" when Jeremy referred to a Z06 Corvette as a Zed06. I thought Clarkson was just making another stupid American joke, then on another episode he mentioned an IROC-Zed Camaro.
                              Yes its bean - like the legume.

I think in Ireland they pronounce Sean as "Sharn", though the pronunciation isn't as extreme as Siobhan (pronounced Shevon or Shevawn).

The Zee and Zed thing is a bit of a clanger - I refuse to use American lexicon, but you end up compromising on a few things, if for no other reason than it saves having to repeat things.

Comment

Working...
                              X