Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Women Writing Science Fiction As Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Writing Science Fiction As Men

I saw this book today- Women Writing Science Fiction As Men. It's a modern twist on something that was SOP early on.
    Interesting subject. Does anyone here know which authors were women writing as men?
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness.
    -Yousuf Karsh

From the review--
    The contributors include some big names and hot up-and-comers, among them Kay Kenyon, Mercedes Lackey, Susan R. Matthews, Terry McGarry, Severna Park, Laura Resnick, Jennifer Roberson, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Karen E. Taylor, and singer-songwriter Janis Ian.

I haven't read work of any of these writers. The premise seems interesting, but I wish it was more of a revealing work--like discovering Tiptree is a woman. Part of this interest stems from, as a child, being fascinated that a woman wrote The Hardy Boys stories, and not the uptight-looking man pictured on the covers

Comment

I might just go back and get it, if it's still there next week. I am very curious about this.
      I do remember thinking while I was reading Corum, I think, that I was most likely in a minority with my love for MM's work.
      I was wondering about earlier writers, such as Tiptree. I wonder if anyone suspected?
      I've know a few other lady sci-fi readers through the years, but I've known no others reading MM. They hadn't even 'eard of him...
      Last edited by Madrigal Rose; 07-11-2006, 05:05 PM.
      -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

I think you are a bit of a minority, Rose, but not completely unusual. If being at Mike's signing events are any indication (and they may not be), many women seem to be reading his work. Perhaps you are a minority because you are a woman who hangs out on message boards.

Comment

Hehe. Well, it does seem I'm in a minority on this board
          I haven't been to a book signing, and so you've satisfied my pondering to that extent. Thanks Doc!
          -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

When I've been at Mike's signings there are always a few women who are clearly interested in his work, but there are always several men who are fanatical. There is something to be said about feminine restraint, you know.

Of course, I'm not implying that you are fanatical or unrestrained...

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
              When I've been at Mike's signings there are always a few women who are clearly interested in his work, but there are always several men who are fanatical. There is something to be said about feminine restraint, you know.

Of course, I'm not implying that you are fanatical or unrestrained...
              Of course you're not...
              -Yousuf Karsh

Comment

Working...
              X