Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favourite SF authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack Vance
    Fred Saberhagen

ack, that 'Boys Club' again!
    Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

Originally posted by DeepFixer View Post
      Jack Vance
      Fred Saberhagen

ack, that 'Boys Club' again!
      My club definitely has some outstanding female members close to the very top:

C.J. Cherryh
      Kathleen Ann Goonan (who I will forever point out to others as an author not to miss who is far too often missed!)
      Octavia Butler
      Ursula K. Le Guin
      Andre Norton (less toward the top of my list, but a perennial favorite for sure!)

then plenty of males too...

Alastair Reynolds
      China Mieville
      Phillip K. Dick
      H.P. Lovecraft
      J.G. Ballard
      Stanislaw Lem
      William Gibson
      David Brin
      Mike McQuay
      Robert Silverberg
      Greg Bear

and of course Michael Moorcock!
      My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I've just gotten a mess of Andre Norton's 'Witch World' books and am enjoying them.

Also read Anne McCaffrey's 'Pern' series and Katherine Kurtz's 'Deryni' series.

They're all definitely in my Favorite Authors, but it seems most of mine are male.

Don't think it's intentional, it just happened. I think, to me anyway, the male sf/fantasy authors are more well known than the female authors.
        Madness is always the best armor against Reality

Comment

At the moment i find myself leaning towards female writers.
          No conscious reason its just what has been floating my boat recently.
          Main ones being LeGuin,Kavan,Butler,Tepper and of course our own Kyrinn
          "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Used to read Sf and Fantasy in equal parts. Belonged to the SFBC in my college years. My tastes run towards the older authors as I'm not really acquainted with the newer generation. Some of my favorites, tho by no means all of them, Cherryh, Dickson, Farmer, McCaffrey, tho not sure whether Pern should be considered Sf or fantasy as it combines elements of both, Zelazny, Drake, not to mention Asimov and Heinlein, tho he got too damned wordy in his later years.
              herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

http://www.wolfshead.net/wolfshowl

http://www.wolfshead.net/books

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                McCaffrey, tho not sure whether Pern should be considered Sf or fantasy as it combines elements of both
                McCaffrey steadfastly insists herself that Pern is SF and not Fantasy. There is a feel that appeals to Fantasy fans, but it's not about magic, it's about science.
                My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                  I also love the Dune books.
                  Other Herbert books that i love are The Godmakers and The Heavenmakers.
                  My favourite sci-fi author would probably be Iain M Banks though.

tf,

have you read Herbert's Whipping Star and/or Dosodai Experiment? I enjoyed both of them, Dosodai a bit more. Always wondered f he planned to add to the adventures of Jorj X.

herb
                  herb

Man spends his time on devising a more idiot proof computer. The universe spends its time devising bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air View Post
                    Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                    McCaffrey, tho not sure whether Pern should be considered Sf or fantasy as it combines elements of both
                    McCaffrey steadfastly insists herself that Pern is SF and not Fantasy. There is a feel that appeals to Fantasy fans, but it's not about magic, it's about science.

Yes, which is why I gave her the benefit of the doubt and included her in the Sf authors tho I know she also writes other Sf. As you say however, there is a major fantasy feel to many of the books.

herb
                    herb

Comment

Yeah Herb i've read Dosodai but not Whipping star.
                      As much as i like most of the Dune stuff,its the books outwith Dune of his that i prefer so i will have to have a look for that one.
                      Cheers
                      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Dosadi is considered a sequel to Whipping Star but it's not linked to it the way the Dune novels are linked. Star is a story in its own right and basically rorms the background elements to Dosadi. More a shared locale type sequel as opposed to a shared storyline type.

herb
                        herb

Comment

If you've read 'The Dosadi Experiment', tf, I dare say you'll enjoy 'Whipping Star'.

After a quick Google to remind myself of the name of the protagonist in those two books (Jorj X. McKie), I discovered that there are two other stories ('A Matter of Traces' & 'The Tactful Saboteur') based in the same setting (called the 'ConSentiency Universe'). They are both in the FH collection 'Eye, so that's one to keep an eye out for.
                          You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

Thanks Gov,

Didn't know about those other stories. Never even thought to do a search. Originally read the stories years ago long before the web tho I did just reread Dosodai

herb
                            herb

Comment

Cheers Guys.
                              I managed to track down a copy of Whipping Star on Amazon.
                              Cant wait to check out more McKie,one of of not my favourite FH characters.
                              Cheers for the 'Eye' pointer Gov,im away to have a look for that in a minute.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion View Post
                                Originally posted by David Mosley
                                I have a very high opinion of Barker's Weaveworld novel and reckon it one the best novels of the '80s, but once he moved the focus of his books away from England (Britain) to the USA I lost interest.
                                Weaveworld was the first Barker story that I read and I have a real softspot for that one. I am a big fan of the Books of the Art, though - but I do understand what you mean about their focus on Americana. Imajica remains my favourite, I think (although I have yet to read his last few - Gallilee, Coldheart Canyon and the Abarat books - stuff by this Moorcock fellow keeps getting in the way ).

Did you read Sacrament at all? It seemed split between America and Britain in a number of curious ways. It strikes me as a very personal work, moreso than his other material - that split between countries seems echoed in Barker's own move from England to America, a shift in focus that sometimes reminds me of some of Mike's work.
                                Weaveworld was the first book by Barker I read, and it blew me away. I'd seen Hellraiser, and likewise, it blew me away - and no, I haven't seen any of the follow-on movie series, just Hellraiser. Hellraiser also did something terrible to my awareness- namely that it was possible for someone to do things that are utterly terrible and evil, and enjoy the suffering - those Cenobites, brrrrr - but they like inflicting pain! And they expect you to like it, as well!

The Hellbound Heart is a brilliant book, but it exists in a different framework to the movie.

Imajica is also an incredible book. I love Pie-oh-pah the mystif.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Vernor Vingt, and Stranded in Real-Time, A Deepness in the Sky, and A Fire upon the Deep. That is mind-blowing stuff - just when you thought it was safe to come out of hibernation, you have a pack-individual set upon you with a flame-thrower ... brrrr!!!

Abarat is more of an acquired taste, I'm afraid: but still, he's writing it out of his domestic happiness, and it comes through. He's just not as edgy a writer as he used to be.
                                sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                                And incense the power of man with God
                                But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                                And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                                by Peter Cape

Comment

Working...
                                X