Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favourite SF authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci Fi

I read Niven/Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall, Mote in God's eye but didn't like Janissaries.

Been reading Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels since Dragonflight.

I only read Dune as I heard the novels deteriorated as they went on so I didn't want to spoil the enjoyment of the first. The film was just a bit daft.

Although I read them when I was a boy, John Christopher's Tripods series was excellent, reread them last year. Also read his ' The Lotus Caves ' can't find a good copy now unless it costs a fortune.

My reading is quite varied although Mike's books are my favourites!!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Tanith Lee !

I am reading some flat earth novel , wonderfull !

Comment

Originally posted by white wolf's son View Post
        I only read Dune as I heard the novels deteriorated as they went on so I didn't want to spoil the enjoyment of the first.
        This is only correct up to a point. The third book (Children of Dune) is easily as good as the first, although very different. You really need to read the second book (Dune Messiah) first though. It's not too bad and fairly short.

The fourth book (God Emperor of Dune) is rather controversial: Some people hate it, others rate it quite highly (I am in the latter category). Basically, if you are okay in not a lot happens for long periods of time and the protagonists simply talk to each other, you might well enjoy it.

The last two are certainly not as good. They would have benefited from being heavily edited, stitched together, and having a satisfying ending added on.

Comment

dune

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
          This is only correct up to a point. The third book (Children of Dune) is easily as good as the first, although very different. You really need to read the second book (Dune Messiah) first though. It's not too bad and fairly short.

The fourth book (God Emperor of Dune) is rather controversial: Some people hate it, others rate it quite highly (I am in the latter category). Basically, if you are okay in not a lot happens for long periods of time and the protagonists simply talk to each other, you might well enjoy it.

The last two are certainly not as good. They would have benefited from being heavily edited, stitched together, and having a satisfying ending added on.
          Thanks very much, I've asked Karen to put them on my birthday list as at my age she is finding it hard to pick something! I really did like Dune, so I'll give the rest a try. Thanks again!

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

I'm with john on this wws. I rather enjoyed the three after 'Dune' and thought that the next two had bit to offer to the overall story but needed a bit doing to them to make them more like the others. I also read the three 'House...' books by BH and KJA. They weren't too bad as stories on their own but weren't a patch on the original series.

I once owned 'The Dune Encyclopedia' but got rid of it along with all the books years ago. Took me ages to track down the main sequence again (second hand), but I've never seen the other.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I also love the Dune books.
              Other Herbert books that i love are The Godmakers and The Heavenmakers.
              My favourite sci-fi author would probably be Iain M Banks though.
              "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                I once owned 'The Dune Encyclopedia' but got rid of it along with all the books years ago. Took me ages to track down the main sequence again (second hand), but I've never seen the other.
                Same here. I used to read "The Dune Encyclopedia" for hours on end. Never did understand the fascination. I did the same thing with the "Complete Guide to Middle-Earth."

Comment

I've now read a lot more of Baxter's books - The Manifold series and most of the Xeelee sequence and a couple of stand-alones. Very big ideas, well executed.

Has anyone mentioned William GIbson? I've read most of his stuff and I haven't been disappointed. Particularly enjoyed 'The Difference Engine' which he wrote with Bruce Sterling.

Read all of Clarke (& Gentry Lee)'s Rama series a while back, which takes the number of his books I've read to around ten or so. I guess that qualifies him as a favourite author!

Just remembered I've got all 12 of the Blish 'Star Trek' collections, but that goes along with the TV/Movie tie-ins theme I mentioned earlier. (I also had quite a few 'Space 1999' adaptations, the Buck Rogers movie tie-in (& follow-up), 'The Black Hole' tie-in, Battlestar Galactica tie-in (& follow-up), etc, etc. )
                  You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

I just read Rendezvous with Rama a few days back so there goes yet another one of our wee coincidences Gov
                    The Difference engine i enjoyed too as well as Neuromancer.
                    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Glad you liked Mr Baxter's stuff, Guv. Although his recent direction of historical type stories a bit of a turn off. Discovered Neal Asher last year so I'm working my way through his Polity novels - sort of hyperviolent version of the Culture. Another I discovered last year in a cheapy shop was Tony Ballantyne, I had read some of his short stories in Interzone, but I found Capacity very readable.

Originally posted by Morgan Kane View Post
                      Tanith Lee !

I am reading some flat earth novel , wonderfull !
                      I haven't read any Tanith Lee for ages - but I loved her Flat Earth stories - apparently she is writing two further volumes to be published in 2010.
                      Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
                        I also love the Dune books. Other Herbert books that i love are The Godmakers and The Heavenmakers.
                        Also check out The Dragon in the Sea and The Jesus Incident if you see either of 'em in a second hand store. Splendid books. And a lot shorter than Dune!

Comment

Originally posted by Governor of Rowe Island View Post
                          Has anyone mentioned William GIbson? I've read most of his stuff and I haven't been disappointed. Particularly enjoyed 'The Difference Engine' which he wrote with Bruce Sterling.
                          Neuromancer is awesome. I know a lot of people slag it off these days, but I think that's because it has been so heavily copied since. I remember reading it just after it was first published and being completely blown away by it.

Comment

Rothgo-I saw The Dragon in the sea in a charity shop earlier so i will pick it up tomorrow.
                            They were asking the wallet-tickling sum of 79p so its gettin' snapped up!!
                            Cheers

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I'd just like to put in a good word for Bruce Sterling, too, I really enjoyed his 'Schismatrix'.

A great piece of good old fashioned 'hard' SF.

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
                                Neuromancer is awesome. I know a lot of people slag it off these days, but I think that's because it has been so heavily copied since. I remember reading it just after it was first published and being completely blown away by it.
                                A big +1 on that, John.
                                Ani Maamin B'emunah Sh'leimah B'viyat Hamashiach. V'af al pi sheyitmahmehah im kol zeh achake lo b'chol yom sheyavo.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick

Comment

Working...
                                X