Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

I, Rowboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I, Rowboat

I was just reading up on Isaac Asimov's Three Laws or Robotics in the Wikipedia when I came upon something I found rather amusig. I thought I'd share it with you guys:

The satirical newspaper The Onion published an article entitled "I, Rowboat" as a pun on Asimov's I, Robot, in which an anthropomorphized rowboat gives a speech parodying much of the angst experienced by robots in Asimov's fiction, including a statement of the "Three Laws of Rowboatics":
    A Rowboat may not immerse a human being or, through lack of flotation, allow a human to come to harm.
    A Rowboat must obey all commands and steering input given by its human Rower, except where such input would conflict with the First Law.
    A Rowboat must preserve its own flotation as long as such preservation does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

This is brilliant! Have any of you read the article its talking of? It sounds hilarious.

Not read it, no, but John Sladek wrote a parody on the Asimov stories with his book Tik-Tok:

http://www.sfsite.com/04b/tt102.htm
    'You know, I can't keep up with you. If I hadn't met you in person, I quite honestly would NOT believe you really existed. I just COULDN'T. You do so MUCH... if half of what goes into your zines is to be believed, you've read more at the age of 17 than I have at the age of 32 - LOTS more'

Archie Mercer to Mike (Burroughsania letters page, 1957)

Comment

I understand theres been quite a few parodies of his work, which aint surprising seeing as hes written so much!

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord View Post
        I was just reading up on Isaac Asimov's Three Laws or Robotics in the Wikipedia when I came upon something I found rather amusig. I thought I'd share it with you guys:

The satirical newspaper The Onion published an article entitled "I, Rowboat" as a pun on Asimov's I, Robot, in which an anthropomorphized rowboat gives a speech parodying much of the angst experienced by robots in Asimov's fiction, including a statement of the "Three Laws of Rowboatics":
        A Rowboat may not immerse a human being or, through lack of flotation, allow a human to come to harm.
        A Rowboat must obey all commands and steering input given by its human Rower, except where such input would conflict with the First Law.
        A Rowboat must preserve its own flotation as long as such preservation does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

This is brilliant! Have any of you read the article its talking of? It sounds hilarious.
        Yep I remember reading that too. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord View Post
          I was just reading up on Isaac Asimov's Three Laws or Robotics in the Wikipedia when I came upon something I found rather amusig. I thought I'd share it with you guys:This is brilliant! Have any of you read the article its talking of? It sounds hilarious.

Here's a link to the whole Onion piece! http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33568

Brilliant!
          "Run to the hills! Run for your life!" But first; nap!sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X