Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Which SF Author Are You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which SF Author Are You?

There are a ton of these "which whatever are you?" quizzes on the Web, and most are sort of amusing but mostly dumb. This "Which SF author are you" one, I've found is actually pretty damn cool.

http://gning.org/skiffy.html

I've come up as Samuel R. Delany, who I like quite a lot, and Ursula K. Le Guin who I at least admire. I don't know if Michael Moorcock is an option or not, but he could be as there's a huge number of them I've seen come up on various boards. I posted this here rather than in the Community forum just in case Michael will actually take it. It'd be fun to see if he came up as himself, someone he likes, or otherwise...
    Last edited by Dead-Air; 07-12-2007, 10:12 PM.
    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs)
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Samuel R. "Chip" Delany, apparently.

Edit: I ran a search on Amazon and over 100 books came up (including a Sandman collection for some reason). Are there any Delany novels you'd recommend Dead-Air?
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I'm Arthur C. Clarke. Now, if I'd read any of his stuff, I'd know whether to be flattered or concerned!
        Call me cockey, but if there\'s an alien I can\'t kill, I haven\'t met him and killed him yet!

Comment

I'm Philip Josأ© Farmer..... Cool someone I've actually read..

I guess it's off to Riverworld for me.

Comment

Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs) ....

Comment

Ursula Le Guin. I guess I was paying attention when I read The Lathe of Heaven and The Left Hand of Darkness.

Comment

Robert A. Heinlein
                cool i guess :)

Comment

Robert Heinlein.... 8)

Comment

Dee, I've only read a couple novels (unfortunately he's suffering from the out of print phenomena quite a bit these days too, but used copies abound.) Nova was a great fablesque yarn, and I'm currently reading Triton which is a bit different but enjoyable too (lots of alternate sexuality stuff in it.) I read the colletion of short stories Distant Stars a long time ago, but remember loving it. The conventional wisdom is that Dhalgren is his best novel, but I haven't read it yet.

What I really like about Delany, besides the fact that he's outside the conventional SF box in general, is that he really takes into account the social side of things. No Asimov 50's housewives 200 millenia in the future, or Heinlien nymphos without a cause. He really extrapolates on the idea that technology will change the way people act. Of course some of his ideas have already come out flat wrong, but that's the danger of the art, and his future seems much more believable than some more recently written ones I've encountered.

I hope that this thread is still up when Michael comes back. I'd love to see who he comes up as. It'd be a laugh if he got Heinlein, but so far I get the impression the quiz is better than that...
                    Last edited by Dead-Air; 07-12-2007, 10:16 PM.
                    My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

It doesnt really make sense for Mike to take the test to see which author he is. He IS an author. I guess thats the fun of it though. Hehe.

Comment

Arthur C. Clarke here too. He's a great author Bob, do yourself a favour and pick up one of the Rama books - you'll enjoy it I think :)

Ken
                        Ken Boorman
                        Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

I'm Kurt Vonnegut, which is amusing. Only yesterday a friend was telling me how awful his books were. I'm gonna have to read some now!

I was hoping to be Philip K. Dick. Oh well.

Comment

I'm going to take the test now, which will also test what the test itself focuses on. Politically, I'm probably Le Guin or Vonnegut, socially I'm Asimov, psychologically I'm Philip K Dick and intellectually I'm afraid I might be Heinlein. Here we go...
                            You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaand I'm (someone tell that drummer to be quiet, please) Cordwainer Smith. I have to admit two things:

1. Deep inside I wish I had been Clifford D Simak, and

2. I have never read anything by Cordwainer Smith. I've always liked the name, though, and I still do even since I found out that it's a pen name. It inspired me to invent my own sf writer Blasterphaser Jones, who've been my companion in my inner life for some time now.

Are Cordwainer Smith's books any good?
                              You can't spell "politically correct" without "correct".

Comment

Working...
                              X