Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Mr.moorcock and everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.moorcock and everyone

Just a simple question.
    what books/authors would you suggest in the fantasy/scifi genre?
    recent ones and older ones
    -mike
    Id just like to hear some opinions

Well, imho...

Philip K Dick has done some very good science fiction, and some decent contemporary fiction. Most of it could be classified as "paranoid" or hallucinatory ("Am I human, or am I a robot programmed to think I'm a human? What's this ticket in my pocket for? How can I pursue the drug dealer, if the drug dealer is me? Why are my trousers attacking me?" etc.) but if you pick up one of the numerous collections of short stories there's usually a good mix of funny and "heavy" stories.
    In case you aren't aware of him, he's the chap whose work was used as the basis for Total Recall, Bladerunner, Minority Report and some other films which weren't quite as good.

D...
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

J. G. Ballard

'Nuff said, Pilgrim.

Comment

H.G.Wells
        Anthony Burgess
        Brian W. Aldiss
        Iain Banks
        Kurt Vonnegut
        Leigh Brackett
        Frederick Pohl
        Thomas M. Disch
        John Sladek
        John Brunner
        Aldous Huxley
        have all written both good genre and good non-genre stuff.

there are lots of writers who seem to move easily between generic fiction and social fiction (or literary fiction, if you prefer).

Or have I, as I've vaguely suspecting, missed part of this thread... :)

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

No mention of Peake there pard? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous
            No mention of Peake there pard? ;)
            T'was me, forgot to log on again.

Comment

i should not have said in the fantasy/scifi genre actualy.. im just interested in ANY good authors and stories

Comment

Peake didn't actually write any social fiction. I was listing writers who have done both, pretty consistently and easily, moving from one to the other.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Locke421
                  i should not have said in the fantasy/scifi genre actualy.. im just interested in ANY good authors and stories.
                  Hmmm, well, I greatly enjoy the works of Carl Hiaasen. All of his fiction is fantastic, my favorite being Sick Puppy.
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Mental Admixture

Top ten entertaining novels to bring along to that proverbial desert island (in no particular order):

Omoo, Melville
                    Moby-Dick, Meville
                    The Confidence-Man, Melville
                    The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne
                    20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea, Verne
                    Tale of a Tub, Swift
                    Northanger Abbey, Austen (yeah, but what about Pride and Prejudice?)
                    Pale Fire, Nabokov
                    Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
                    A Cure for Cancer, Moorcock

Be sure to check out New Worlds.

Comment

My favorite fantasy novels (other than books by Mr. Moorcock):

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind, an excellent series though it does have some parelells to The Wheel of Time.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, another excellent series.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist (i also recommend "The Riftwar Legacy", and most likely "The Serpentwar Saga", though i haven't gotten that far yet.)

The Drizzt books by R.A. Salvatore (Starts with "Homeland" and it's in a bigger series called "The Forgotten Realms".

The Weis/Hickman Dragonlance books.

The Rose of the Prophet by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

The Darksword Trilogy by Weis/Hickman

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

That's all i have for now, but if i think up others i'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Numazel
                        Terry Goodkind
                        blech :x
                        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

The Gaurdian List

http://books.guardian.co.uk/top10s/t...530819,00.html

Michael Moorcock's favourite science fiction novels
                          Michael Moorcock is the author of nearly 100 books, including dozens of fantasy novels. He also writes works of literary fiction based around his love of London, such as Mother London. The latest of these is the short story collection London Bone.
                          LRB essay: Michael Moorcock's London
                          Moorcock's Multiverse site

"I would guess that, Wells, Ballard and Aldiss aside, I only have about 10 SF novels I really like. Most SF is fundamentally retrospective, like modern politics. Big spaceships have an immediate soporific effect (the first time I fell asleep in 2001 I was with an amiable Arthur Clarke!) So, if you haven't read any SF, this list might suit you. Few of these books make any mention of spaceships, but they're all by substantial writers and most have a characteristic elegaic note inherited from the likes of Shelley and Wells."
                          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Verneآ´s "Journey to the Center of the Earth" is one of my faves of the early scifi period. it turned out to be one of those physically impossible scifi ravings, but it is very entertaining nonetheless.

btw there is a Ballard interview on Guardian books

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departme...245664,00.html

Comment

Authors who I have been getting into recently include:

Stephen Baxter I have read two fo his MANIFOLD trilogy and they were great and completly different not the noraml kind of token collecting trilogy stuff.

I have really been enjoying Charles Stross who has not had much published yet I thought his atrocity archive serialised in SpectrumSF was great.

I have always thought David Langofrd was completely underated, there are loads of book reviews and interesting articles at his website : http://www.ansible.demon.co.uk/

There is a good selection of short stories which are free to access at Infinity Plus : http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/
                              I have'nt really had chance to have a good look through myself lots of interesting looking stuff.

Luv n peace babe
                              Dobah

Comment

Working...
                              X