Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HP Lovecraft and His Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
    Couldnt find Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft,has anyone else any other titles i should try.
    It's in this omnibus:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omnibus-Moun...6329731&sr=1-4
    which shows up all the time on eBay for pennies.

If you get all three volumes, you end up with most of HPL's stuff.

Comment

There's also this nice HC edition of HPL's stuff - which is pretty decent, though a tad on the expensive side.

http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft-...6343487&sr=1-1

Also if anyone's not seen it - I enthusiastically recommend the silent movie adaptation of Call of Cthulhu.
      Last edited by devilchicken; 11-29-2007, 04:45 AM.
      Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by johneffay View Post
        It's in this omnibus:
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omnibus-Moun...6329731&sr=1-4
        which shows up all the time on eBay for pennies.

If you get all three volumes, you end up with most of HPL's stuff.
        Thanks for the tip.
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Is 'Dexter Ward' anybody elses favorite of HPL's?

Comment

Dunno. It's been so many years. But, this thread inspired me and I'm chilling with a couple of collections I just grabbed from the library. So, I'll let you know next week or so...
            Kevin McCabe
            The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
              Thanks DC,never heard of Clark Ashton Smith but will look him up.Any titles you would recommend.
              Couldnt find Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft,has anyone else any other titles i should try.
              Look for Dreamquest to Unknown Kadath. I would already have guessed it was the Lovecraft story (novella) most likely to appeal to a Moorcock fan even before Michael mentioned it as one of the few Lovecraft stories he likes! It is indeed different from much of his other work, because it has an element of being exciting while most of his tales are more about dread.

Call of C'thulhu is another one to seek for the archetypal atmosphere of the man at his best. Kind of scary to think how many lame-brained cultists and satanists probably used this story as a blueprint for their "rituals" since.

There have been so many collections and repackaging of the same stories that you never know what you'll get in any one set, unless you read the contents and look for the particular stories you are seeking.
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                Is 'Dexter Ward' anybody elses favorite of HPL's?
                I'm with Kevin on that one. I remember liking it, but I don't remember it as well as some of the others I've mentioned. It had a bit more of an autobiographical feel to it than some if I remember right, Ward being a bit of an anti-social loser type. Right?
                My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air View Post
                  Call of C'thulhu is another one to seek for the archetypal atmosphere of the man at his best. Kind of scary to think how many lame-brained cultists and satanists probably used this story as a blueprint for their "rituals" since.
                  Psst, anyone wanna score an original Necromonicon? If you turn out all the lights, including covering up the power light on the stereo, and play Balck Sabbath at 78 RPM backwards, and you've got this tome, then the devil will appear! Do I hear a thousand?
                  Kevin McCabe

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air View Post
                    I'm with Kevin on that one. I remember liking it, but I don't remember it as well as some of the others I've mentioned. It had a bit more of an autobiographical feel to it than some if I remember right, Ward being a bit of an anti-social loser type. Right?
                    Never thought of it, but you're probably right, with all the descriptions of his alternative hometown. In a lot of ways it's more conventional than the rest of his stuff, to me it has more resonance because it doesn't rely on being 'weird' so much as just creepy, relying more on psychology than otherworldy horror, and I thought HPL's language was really good. I think it's the only one I still have but I couldn't say for sure. I want to go back and read some of his stories again and some of the new editions look pretty good, but I'm just as likely to get CAS or maybe some A. Merritt whom I never tried.

Comment

• Originally posted by opaloka View Post
                      Never thought of it, but you're probably right, with all the descriptions of his alternative hometown. In a lot of ways it's more conventional than the rest of his stuff, to me it has more resonance because it doesn't rely on being 'weird' so much as just creepy, relying more on psychology than otherworldy horror, and I thought HPL's language was really good. I think it's the only one I still have but I couldn't say for sure. I want to go back and read some of his stories again and some of the new editions look pretty good, but I'm just as likely to get CAS or maybe some A. Merritt whom I never tried.
                      Oh, I understand that! I rarely reread anything, just based upon the shear volume of good (not to mention just interesting or entertaining, which are not always the same things) writing out there that I will never get to even once.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin McCabe View Post
                        Psst, anyone wanna score an original Necromonicon?
                        I've already got the paperback:
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Necronomicon...6410696&sr=1-1
                        I know it's a terrible thing to do, but I have to confess that this is one book that I didn't buy to read; I just wanted it to sit on my shelf so that I could tell people that I owned it when it came up in conversation

Comment

• Originally posted by Dead-Air View Post
                          Oh, I understand that! I rarely reread anything, just based upon the shear volume of good (not to mention just interesting or entertaining, which are not always the same things) writing out there that I will never get to even once.
                          I havent even re-read that much of Mike's stuff, my problem is I just collect too many books and they pile up...

Comment

• HP Lovecraft and His Work

Doc: "By the way, are you the same Steve Aylett who made me laugh with a foul-mouthed talking fish who may have been the brains of a detective agency?"

Yes, Doc, i am.

Steve A

myspace.com/steveaylett

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Aylett View Post
                              Doc: "By the way, are you the same Steve Aylett who made me laugh with a foul-mouthed talking fish who may have been the brains of a detective agency?"

Yes, Doc, i am.

Steve A

myspace.com/steveaylett
                              Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, but I do have to plug Steve's work, as Mike also has. (Sorry if this embarrasses you, Steve.) I pushed Atom on several people right after I read it, in part because it is the kind of book that lends itself to discussion, and in part because I wanted people to discover it. It is witty and sarcastic, imaginative and inventive, with the kind of fast pace in story, narrative, and dialogue that most people couldn't pull off. Great fun! And it has a talking fish! What more could you want?

Comment

Working...
                              X