Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HP Lovecraft and His Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree on most points dead air.The main down side i can see on the not breaking front though is the fact that the artists dont have record company dosh to travel around the world like they used to,hence a lot of the artists i listen to on your fine station of a saturday i will never see live.
    Anyway,HP Lovecraft,ive heard of the guy but never read any of his stuff.
    Any titles you fine fellows could suggest to an eager virgin would be greatly appreciated.
    "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Oh and if Brian Enos a non-musician im a monkeys uncle in his sisters clothes
      "I hate to advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone,but they've always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by thingfish View Post
        Agree on most points dead air.The main down side i can see on the not breaking front though is the fact that the artists dont have record company dosh to travel around the world like they used to,hence a lot of the artists i listen to on your fine station of a saturday i will never see live.
        Anyway,HP Lovecraft,ive heard of the guy but never read any of his stuff.
        Any titles you fine fellows could suggest to an eager virgin would be greatly appreciated.
        I liked The Mountains of Madness
        Kevin McCabe
        The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Perhaps it depends on what you consider a musician..

Comment

TFT-My definition of a musician is someone who through the medium of music can move me emotionally.
            Writing this whilst listening to-
            Brian Eno-Apollo and Atmospheres, and yep its pretty much doing the job

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I still prefer Clark Ashton Smith over HPL. IMO – Smith had a more vivid imagination, and a better (unique – at least) writing style. He also wrote a pretty creepy horror story about a carnivorous plant growing out of the top of a man’s head.
              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                Actually, there is a gag in one of the roleplaying books that Tsthogua the unspakable was origionaly called "The Unpronouncable" but that his epithet was poorly translated from ancient sumarian, or some such. Always got a chuckle out of that, which is renewed every time Opalaka posts
                I wouldn't know anything about that

Comment

Originally posted by devilchicken View Post
                  I still prefer Clark Ashton Smith over HPL. IMO – Smith had a more vivid imagination, and a better (unique – at least) writing style. He also wrote a pretty creepy horror story about a carnivorous plant growing out of the top of a man’s head.
                  I've read the 'zothique' collection before and last year I went through and read all of his poetry that's online. It's not Swinburne, but it's pretty good. I marvel at a guy with the courage to be so unfashionable. I wish he'd kept writing and wonder why he stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Aylett View Post
                    To return to the Lovecraft thing for a moment - does anyone find his stuff funny? I find that his gradual disclosure of 'horror' has the feeling of a very slow joke, where the reader thinks 'oh, that's not going to happen, surely?' and then it does, or 'it really looks like it's going to turn out to be that, but surely not', and it is. There are no twists, just a gradual, very slowly lumbering, relentless lead-up to a punchline that can be seen from miles away. It's sort of the same trick repeated in every piece, but still an interesting and compulsive thing for someone to have done. He was thorough and one-track, and i'm not sure the humour was unintentional.
                    Steve Aylett
                    I like the description of an "interesting and compulsive" trick.

I have to add:
                    In some ways, Lovecraft becomes funnier when I think of him not being a little aware of that humorous aspect.

By the way, are you the same Steve Aylett who made me laugh with a foul-mouthed talking fish who may have been the brains of a detective agency?

Comment

Thanks DC,never heard of Clark Ashton Smith but will look him up.Any titles you would recommend.
                      Couldnt find Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft,has anyone else any other titles i should try.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

He wrote very little over a relatively short time. The fiction is collected in the Fantasy Masterworks series.
                        Check it out at Amazon UK.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Thanks DC,never heard of Clark Ashton Smith but will look him up.Any titles you would recommend.
                          Couldnt find Mountains of Madness by Lovecraft,has anyone else any other titles i should try.
                          A lot of his stuff (lovecraft) are short stories (novella?). Mountains of Madness is usually in one of the collections.
                          Kevin McCabe
                          The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

Cheers guys
                            Will check it out

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

The most cost-effective choice is The Emperor of Dreams, which is the Masterworks version from the UK. You can get it for around 5 or 6 quid if I remember rightly (though ebay is probably your best bet). It's the best introduction to CAS. He's a bit of an acquired taste, like most of the other Weird Tales writers from the 30's there is some incredible trash mixed in with works of real genius. Most of his stuff, like HPL relies on mood rather than complicated plotting or character drama.

His characters have a tendency to die in rather unpleasant and bizarre ways (like being killed by a carnivorous plant growing out of your mate's body).

In the US there are also a couple of Bison Books collections of his stuff still in print - which are worth checking out.

And if you "really" get into CAS - Nightshade books are doing a series of 5 annotated hardcovers comprising all of his work in chronological order. Very nice editions - but rather pricey.
                              Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Cheers for your suggestions D.C
                                Sounds like my kind of stuff,will be on to it later.

Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X