Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HP Lovecraft and His Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeeDoubleYou
    replied
    I'm a bashful comic book fella (never really get around to the stuff), but I can't help but always feel like I'm reading Howie through Alan's eyes.
    Reading the Battle That Ended the Century, I was amazed at how much it was like Mike's End of Time stuff (true HP coauthored it, but, wow!); really hilarious.
    And the multi-penned Challenge from Beyond was a real eye opener; REH proved and proves as the ultimate antidote to HPL and his miasma; no wonder Mike avoids Howie like the plague and is such a fan of Bobby, the juxtaposition is so obvious and beautiful in this story.
    Yet, haven't you guys said that REH and HPL were good friends and pen pals?
    To me, after reading the Challenge, that just seems like an instance of keep your friends close but your enemies closer and dueling-machismo, a fascination with increasing power and fame; I can't think of anybody more anathema to HPL than REH, also likewise, considering that Bobby proved such a potent deflater of Howie's delusions.
    The metaphysical conspiracy theorist in me puts down REH's suicide and HPL's cancer to this rivalry; HPL the cause for REH's suicide due to the latter taking away the former's eldritch-bottle, and vice versa, as revenge.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    I hope you guts are reading Providence because it's pretty fuckin sweet.

Leave a comment:

• SeeDoubleYou
    replied
    I get the feeling Howie suffered from what Taoists say about Buddhists and purport to having to heal them of.
    That, in a kinda take-no-prisoners pursuit of enlightenment, they end up breaking their bodies and etheric architecture. So, in the best case scenario, they get enlightened, but it's like a racecar reduced to the speed and power of a go-kart. Worse case, I imagine, is a cardboard box crayoned to look like a racecar, where, said cardboard box, used to be a human body (or at least a go-kart;-).
    Yes sir-ee Bob, Howie done broke he self.

Leave a comment:

• SeeDoubleYou
    replied
    Still assailing my complete works and just finished The Quest of Iranon.

Torturously beautiful tragic romance.

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    I see(today) that the dark spot on Pluto may be officially named Cthulhu, instead of 'the whale'.

Lovecraft was an astronomy buff, I'm sure this would please him greatly.

I'm kinda tickled myself. I've always suspected that the fictional planet Yuggoth was Pluto, then newly discovered.

Leave a comment:

• Whistler
    replied
    I saw it, and thought it an amazing rendition of The Call of Cthulhu, in that silent, 1920's style of film. They did an incredible job, given their budget. Those guys need a grant!

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    Both Whisperer in Darkness and Call of Cthulhu are great films, and very true to the time period they are set in, attention to detail and production values are first-class.

The changes to Whisperer really enhance the story, the creatures are plenty scary-seen on late night TV it might easily be mistaken for a Universal monster flick.

I hope they do another one!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    I watched Whisperer last night. Brilliant! Bravo to those guys.
    Check out their other masterpiece The Call Of Cthulhu if you haven't yet. It's equally amazing!

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    I watched Whisperer last night. Brilliant! Bravo to those guys.

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    Imagine Hellboy without CGI?

The rich texture of the film, the acting and a very good script combined to produce a wonderful film.

But without the complex CGI it would have fallen flat.

Leave a comment:

• Una Persson
    replied
    And one of the few films that have a sequel that is as good as, if not even better. Pity they didn't make a third one like was planned.

Leave a comment:

• krakenten
    replied
    The film is very,very good.

Leave a comment:

• Octo Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by Una Persson View Post
    Originally posted by krakenten View Post
    I've seen a few Lovecraft-themed comics.

Mostly they don't work very well-illustration spoils the subtle suggestion that makes an HPL tale build to the reveal at the end.

But let me recommend, again, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society's film version of The Whisperer in Darkness- an exceeding good adaptation, very well filmed and acted in period style.

Worth watching.
    Hellboy seems pretty mythos influenced.
    I was tempted to pick up Hellboy Volume 1 last week, heard good things about it but not sure if it's for me.

Leave a comment:

• Jack Of Shadows
    replied
    Originally posted by Octo Seven View Post
    Whisperer is one of his wildest stories, would love to see the film.
    The film does justice to the story. It's one of the very few Lovecraft film adaptations that's faithful to the tale.

Leave a comment:

• Una Persson
    replied
    Originally posted by krakenten View Post
    I've seen a few Lovecraft-themed comics.

Mostly they don't work very well-illustration spoils the subtle suggestion that makes an HPL tale build to the reveal at the end.

But let me recommend, again, the HP Lovecraft Historical Society's film version of The Whisperer in Darkness- an exceeding good adaptation, very well filmed and acted in period style.

Worth watching.
    Hellboy seems pretty mythos influenced.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X