Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HP Lovecraft and His Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would be truly remiss ifI failed to mention those two under
    appreciated scare masters, Robert Aickman and Roald Dahl.

Aickman turned out a lot of very unsettling yarns-including 'The True Road to the Church', one of those, 'something is happening, but what?" stories he was so good at.

Dahl's 'A Drink of Water' is among the darkest of the dark!

I'd also mention Dan Simmons, but he's a heel, so I won't. Guy sure can write, though.

Lovecraft opened the way.

Comment

• OK, I'll bite......who the heck is Alan M?

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Moorcock View Post
        Not done yet ?
        Done? DONE? Oh, Mike, we're just getting started. We're fans! We're supposed to go drivelling on forever about absurd little details that nobody else cares about.

By the way... who IS Alan M. ? Alan Moore? What's he doing here? Hello, Alan.
        "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

• While it cannot be denied that HPL was an important figure in modern culture, I'm finding him less relevant all the time.

Just like the rest of the writers of the Yellow Period(he came in at the end, and used what was left behind-used it well, too) he saw a world full of dark secrets and wicked things. Wouldn't be too surprised to learn that his father's death, from tertiary syphllis influenced his view of the world. and the catastrophic reversal in the family fortunes probably shaped his thinking.

That, and being tetched to begin with.

For outside there are dogs, and murderers and whoremongers...the usual crew, and HPL got glimpses of that. I grew up in a small town that was much like a micro-city, secrets were thick on the ground, and the 'fifties were pretty skeevy times(we forget that, in out idealized memories of malt shops, hot rods and rock'n'roll-there was quite a bit of nastiness around).

There were so many secrets! And you dast not notice them, oh, no! Innocence betrayed, that was me, I'm still not over it. Guess that's why I like HPL so much.

And now, we discover dark matter, anti-matter, uncertainty,entanglement, action at a distance.....is that so much unlike Cthulhu?

Our neat, orderly Newtonian universe(and remember, Newton died of mercury poisoning, from his obsession with alchemy?) is frayed and scattered. Now, 2+2 = ?, hard to tell.

This is all far from over.

Comment

• Maybe not done yet, maybe far from over, but who shall surpass:

Comment

• Too late, Heresy. Harold Camping is striking a bit late, but we have to end the discussion here.

THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS
              THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS
              NOT WITH A BANG BUT WITH....

...Tom Lehrer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs
              Last edited by Jagged; 04-09-2015, 12:24 PM. Reason: unreasonable perfectionism

Comment

• "Just one more thing...." (Columbo)

Just between us, though... but don't tell Mike; I have a feeling he's tiring of this thread... Lovecraft's inept prose is actually working FOR his writings in his little niche. At least in the stories told in the 1st person, the stiff and pompous style serves to characterize his narrators.

Comment

• Ah, you begin to see!

Now, on to how HPL founded modern weirdness....by accident.

Charles Fort, a tireless collector of humbugs, and the Occult Mafia(that very strange crew of authors of strange tales) started the ball rolling-sadly, he quickly ran out of material and by his third volume, he was reaching, then scrabbling.

Lovecraft used this as a base for his vision.

By the 1950s, the Argosy magazine spooky crew had taken this and launched lunacies that are with us yet.

Today, that Greek guy with the fright wig continues the tradition.

But Lovecraft creeps in

Much of this was begun by Spiritualism, a reaction to the horrible death toll of the American Civil War. The two World Wars filled the world with widows and orphans,looking for any comfort they might find.

The Cold War, with its pervasive paranoia and many strange projects added to this. Tim Powers, Charles Stross and William Gibson have exploited these things.

Still, Lovecraft is Le Grande Fromage.

Don Mclean has declared the death of poetry, I cannot disagree. The Internet is killing off mystery, because mystery is created by chance and journalistic malpractice-what you hold back is more important than what you tell, and slanting a story is an old tradition of the newsroom.

What a sad grey world we are making-reminds me of the 50s

Ah, what a wonderland we created for ourselves-now, cruel reality is showing us how the castles were made of cardboard and the stars were just glitter.

No intelligent alien life.....maybe no alien life at all, at least not just now, remember, space is vast, but time is even vaster....there's a mass extinction due soon.....an ice age.....BUMMER TO THE MAX!!!
                  Haigh-ho!

Comment

• It's a shame, but I do think we've missed our chance at group survival and are due for extinction. I'm sorry future generations won't be there to enjoy the fun but there it is. We blew it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• There seems to be an outbreak of gloom and doom disease of late.

I'm a wreck, my GF has to wear a luchadore's mask to keep from scratching her face to the bone(she self-injures) and my few remaining friends are in despair.

I've mentioned Don Mcleans declaration of the death of poetry in modern life. I blame Harry Potter, those stories were far too full of wonder not to make real life look pretty piddling by comparison.

Yet,I say that all will be well! Mankind will go on to the end set aside by the Universe, be it stellar exploration or slow extinction here on this wonderful rock of ours.

Some scientists predict a coming Age of Rodents(squeak! squeak! SQUEAK!!!) and given the repetitive nature of evolution, perhaps another intelligent life form will examine what we leave behind.

Or Other Astronauts will speculate on our lives.

Or humans will enter another Dark Age.

I think we will continue a good long time, and perhaps burst the surly bonds of Earth to voyage far into the cosmos.

Humanity has been in tighter spots, and won through.

Comment

• All WILL be well.

It might not be the way we want it, but it will be well.

That's not optimism, it's the lesson of history. If something dies, something else replaces it. Often, it is better. Sometimes, worse.

My poor powers of scholarship are leading me to believe that a collapse is coming. Our world is too fragmented and too loaded with outmoded ideas, right now we carry the freight from the Big Wars and the Absolute Tyrants, even though we know it to be false and vain, we can't quite reconcile it with our current life.

Which has come to seem pointless and dull.

Still, all will be well.

Comment

• Once upon a time, cinemas used to run continuous programmes. You could come in in the middle of a film and sit through until you'd caught up with the action. This is about the point in the picture where we first came in.

Could explain the nature of the catastrophe, but who's listening?

Comment

• Keep calm, and carry on.

Comment

Working...
                            X