Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

HP Lovecraft and His Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I calls 'em like I see 'em.

Years of contemplation(not full time)brought me to my vision of it. They want in-why? All I did was give them a reason. Derleth hijacked the whole thing and tried to shoe-horn it into the structure of witchcraft. The GOO are beyond that.

We see from current thought that the Universe is not as simple as we thought. Indeed, String Theory, Quantum Theory and entanglement seem mighty like magic.

Azathoth is a blind idiot? Perhaps he is so deeply involved with the Universe that it makes him seem stupid. And Cthulhu is occupied with his schemes to move up in the organization? Makes sense to me!

People keep adding to the Mythos, as Lumly said, "It's getting crowded in there." And he's right. But consider other polytheistic belief systems. Or, read the Bible-just what did happen to Judas, anyway?

Lovecraft, in a few years, laid the foundation for a belief system as complex as many religions. And some people do believe-there have been several 'Starry Wisdom' cults.

The worship of Cthulhu is a reality in Russia. Imagine how that may evolve.

I recently went to the Walter's Art Museum to see a special show of artifacts from the Fayim region of Egypt. Sobek was the bull goose deity , and Set was not excoriated there. Set got his bad rep by being the god chosen by the Hyskos rulers of Egypt-before that he was a benign god.

Even without a major dislocation, new religions will rise-that's a constant of history.

So see you down at the Esoteric Order of Dagon hall-first round of green, glow in the dark beer is on me!

(recently, I've begun to see a connection between Cthulhu and Godzilla. Me Gusta!)

g

Comment

• Originally posted by krakenten View Post
      The worship of Cthulhu is a reality in Russia. Imagine how that may evolve.
      The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society sells a beautiful Cthulhu amulet made in Russia.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/st...es/amulet.html
      "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
      'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

• I'm getting myself one for Christmas!

F'taghn!

Comment

"Laugha while you can, monkey boy!"
          Are you a fan of Buckaroo Banzai, Krakenten, or is that a quote from elsewhere?

Comment

• Buckaroo Banzi was one of the best movies of all time literate, intelligent and FUNNY!

Lawdamassey, what a cast! What a script! What an idea!

The monkey boys didn't understand it, and they weren't supposed to.

It's all on the yellow record.

Comment

• Lovecraft's value as an author and inspiration to others should never be overllooked. I would have never heard of Clarke Ashton Smith, Lord Dunsany, Ambrose Bierce or RW Chambers if not for his essays and influences. He also encouraged Robert E Howard constantly, an author who was certainly influential on Mike. This is his legacy to me, not his outdated xenophobia which by the way he had lost in his later years. Easy to pick on someone when they're already in the grave. I hate the constant pontification about CS Lewis too by modern authors and readers. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Also, without Lovecraft's encouragement there may have never been a Conan and without Conan there would be no Elric.

Comment

• A Challenge!

Harry Potter meets Cthulhu!

And they thought Voldemort was evil? Let 'em see REAL evil!

Comment

• Originally posted by Miqque View Post
                  Originally posted by Jack Of Shadows View Post
                  Originally posted by krakenten View Post
                  There is a third one in the works, however, I am honor bound to say no more. I predict a dilly!
                  Oooo a third H.P.L. Historical Society film in the works? I can hardly wait! Wonder what it will be? I would love to see them do At The Mountains Of Madness, The Dunwich Horror, or The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward. The Society's attention to detail and filming style is impeccable and they have some really cool items for sale in their shop. I just wish I had jumped on buying one of the miniature trees they had used in The Whisperer In Darkness, would have looked nice on my Lovecraft shelf on my bookcase.
                  The Dunwich Horror has been done, with Dean Stockwell.
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065669/combined

Also, there are some episodes of Rod Serling's Night Gallery that if not Lovecraft, were Lovecraft-inspired. Was Charles Dexter Ward one?
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065327/...=ttep_ep_sn_nx "Miss Lovecraft Sent Me", "Professor Peabody's Last Lecture", "Lagoda's Heads" (maybe) (these are Season 2).
                  Just a couple of examples, but Lovecraft's creations tend to wander all over the media landscapes.

Even in nature!

(Hope that shows up. It's Election Time, and Cthulhu is out stumping.)
                  Also a couple of times in the animated Real Ghostbusters, most notably this episode:

The Collect Call of Cathulhu - Ghostbusters Wiki - "The Compendium of Ghostbusting"

▶ The Real Ghostbusters 232 The Collect Call of Cathulhu - YouTube

(Cartoons, yay!)

The Ralph Retort

Comment

• ''Charles Dexter Ward" was filmed, it has several titles. Major production, and well done, Jane Sibbet was the female lead. She was pretty good, too.

Some say Lovecraft can't be filmed, recent events have proved them wrong.

Lovecraft is expensive to film-period setting, some f/x required, a complicated monster to fabricate, it adds up.

To all Lovecraftians, be sure to see 'The Whisperer in Darkness'! Everything is first class, and the changes to the story are brilliant.

The airplane sequence came about when the produces saw an ad for a 2/3 size replica of a Curtis Jenny-they could not resist. It's well used, too. They had to trailer it from Ohio to California.

The films offered by the Historical Society are very good-many were made is South America, though 'Cool Air' was done in Pittsburgh. There's even a version of "The King in Yellow'' that almost works. Almost.

I don't worship Lovecraft-he was a pioneer not a mature creator. But no one can deny his seminal works.

Or the shivers therein!

Comment

• Has this been mentioned yet?

Out of Mind: The Stories of H.P. Lovecraft (TV Movie 1998) - IMDb
                      The Ralph Retort

Comment

• The adaptation of Charles Dexter Ward was called 'Shatterbrain', though there were other titles.

This is one spooky muddahuncha, very well done. The sets are plenty sinister, actors quite convincing and the script modified to make a good film from a fine story.

Lovecraft wrote for the page, not the screen. Therefore, his works tend to be static.

But released into the cinema, the tales burst into life. The action is there-it has to be released.

"At the Mountains of Madness" may be a great film. With Dornier ten engine planes and the Elder Things, visuals will be strong. Not to mention the claustrophobic ice tunnels.

Claustrophbia is an essential element to horror fiction-the feeling of being pressed in and confined with some great danger is the making of many a great horror tale.

Comment

• The Haunted Castle starring Vincent Price was another adaptation of The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward. Although very well made and quite atmospheric, and of course Vincent Price is brilliant, the film also contained elements from Edgar Allen Poe so it wasn't entirely Lovecraft. The Necronomicon is there though, so it is well worth having in the collection.

Another great film adaptation is for The Colour Out Of Space, made in Germany and entitled Die Farbe. Very artistically filmed, atmospheric and suspenseful.
                          "He found a coin in his pocket, flipped it. She called: 'Incubus!'
                          'Succubus,' he said. 'Lucky old me.'" - Michael Moorcock The Final Programme

Comment

A Challenge!

Harry Potter meets Cthulhu!

And they thought Voldemort was evil? Let 'em see REAL evil!
                            They exist in the same universe in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 3

Comment

• So much for that.

Comment

• Voldemort is one of Nyarlathotep's many manifestations.

Comment

Working...
                                X