Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

'New' Tolkien work to be published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'New' Tolkien work to be published

Son completes unfinished Tolkien

Tolkien is considered by many to be the first fantasy author

An unfinished book by JRR Tolkien has been edited into a completed work by his son for publication next year.
    Christopher Tolkien has spent 30 years working on The Children of Hurin, which The Lord of the Rings author started in 1918 and later abandoned.
    Extracts from The Children of Hurin have been published before.
    JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy has sold more than 50 million copies and was adapted into three hugely successful films.
    "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of The Children of Hurin as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said in a statement.
    The story involves the elves and dwarves that feature in much of Tolkien's work.
    He died in September 1973, aged 81.
    BBC

Thought CT had scraped the bottom of the barrel years ago......

PS: More hype:

X-rated Tolkien: it's not for the kiddies

(I don't really know where this Tolkien = children's writer idea comes from...)
    Last edited by Mikey_C; 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM. Reason: Get it right!!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Originally posted by Mikey_C
    Has September suddenly turned into the 'Silly Season' for newspapers or something? That article is one of the stupidest 'non-stories' I've seen this year.

Originally posted by Mikey_C
    (I don't really know where this Tolkien = children's writer idea comes from...)
    It's sloppy journalism which is probably derived from the idea that "fantasy" is aimed at adolescents.

Which, of course, rather too much of it is, but that's neither here nor there.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I will probably buy it, I found "The silmarillion" a fascinating read.
      The story of Hurin, Turin etc was one of the more interesting parts of the book.

Comment

Yeah, the Turin story was my favourite. I particularly liked the doom-laden hero with the intelligent black sword that kills his buddies.

Turin was supposed to make an apperance in the Silmarillion's "apocalypse" myth, returning from the halls of death to defeat Morgoth in a final battle. But Christopher Tolkien left that bit out of the published version, unfortunately. When I read it in the History of Middle Earth series, I was surprised, as it made for a very striking climax to the cycle, something that was missing from the published version.
        The name that can be named is not the true name.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamelion
          Yeah, the Turin story was my favourite. I particularly liked the doom-laden hero with the intelligent black sword that kills his buddies.
          hehe, Yes, a startling resemblence to our Melnibonean counterpart.

Turin was supposed to make an apperance in the Silmarillion's "apocalypse" myth, returning from the halls of death to defeat Morgoth in a final battle. But Christopher Tolkien left that bit out of the published version, unfortunately. When I read it in the History of Middle Earth series, I was surprised, as it made for a very striking climax to the cycle, something that was missing from the published version.
          Yeah, that would have been cool.
          Although he would have been the only human to have come back from the dead (AFAIK).
          Still, if elves can come back, why not Humans?

come to thinkof it, apart from Beren and Luthien, Turin is probably the most well developed character in The Silmarillion.
          And IMO, is probably the most well rounded character.

Comment

The manuscript for The Children of Hurin, to be published next spring, contains incest, suicide and a multitude of violent deaths.
            Wow, major departure! After all, hardly anybody dies violently in LotR...

Comment

I will get it.

I have the Siillmarillion and Forrgotten Tales as well as TLOTR and The Hobbit.

It sounds good. The stories to do with Hurin and Turin and others are not explored properly,

I noticed the doomed hero thing. I thought, that was a lot darker than the usual Tolkien.

And more Elves and Dragons and Dunbarrow (Dwarves) and Orcs etc the better.

I always found that the books are mean to Dragons. I mean , they are all bad in it.

Huh, very insulting.

I dont see why Tolkien should be thought of as adolescant or kids. Its hardly lightwieght.

But some of the fans can be a little TOO serious about it. I am on a website and i got my post pulled when i critised something. The administrater is strict.

I hope it comes out soon as possible.

Comment

"Tolkien is considered by many to be the first fantasy author" is about the stupidest piece of "critical" writing I've ever read.

There is of course some truth to it, just as "George W. Bush is considered by many to be a good president." i.e., "many" does not reflect either a majority nor any shred of accuracy whatsoever.

My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

I always thought Turin Turambar and Elric were similar, particularly with the doom laden fate of both, being killed by their own black swords and have relations with a family member. I read the story in the Silmarilion again a couple of years ago and did enjoy it but I don't know how much more Cristopher Tolkein can contribute to it, if his Father didn't take it any further perhaps he should leave it alone. Saying that, I'll probably have a look at it out of curiosity.

At the end of the day, I preferred reading the Elric saga.

, [Ok Emerson ...oot the motor !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by white wolf's son
                    I always thought Turin Turambar and Elric were similar, particularly with the doom laden fate of both, being killed by their own black swords and have relations with a family member. I read the story in the Silmarilion again a couple of years ago and did enjoy it but I don't know how much more Cristopher Tolkein can contribute to it, if his Father didn't take it any further perhaps he should leave it alone. Saying that, I'll probably have a look at it out of curiosity.

At the end of the day, I preferred reading the Elric saga.
                    In fact Elric and Turin are "borrowed" from the same caracter: Kullervo.
                    Kullervo is one of the main characters of the Kalevala, wich is the most important writen source of the Finnish Mithology.
                    Kullervo is doomed by destiny, has a black sword, has an incestous relationship, kills his friends and lovers, has a dragon helm, etc. Each of this caracteristics are shared by Elric and Turin altough each writer gives them his own touch.

Aabout this new book, I will buy it.
                    I read some pieces in The War of the Jewelsfrom the History of MIddle Earth and I thought that was great material and that CT should had published.
                    So this are good news to me

Comment

Originally posted by Dead-Air
                      "Tolkien is considered by many to be the first fantasy author" is about the stupidest piece of "critical" writing I've ever read.

There is of course some truth to it, just as "George W. Bush is considered by many to be a good president." i.e., "many" does not reflect either a majority nor any shred of accuracy whatsoever.
                      The abysmal quality of such a poor piece of "critical" writing shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody here, obviously.

Comment

"Tolkien is considered by many to be the first fantasy author."

Those people have obviously never heard of William Morris.
                        “The world would be happier if men had the same capacity to be silent that they have to speak”

Comment

It looks like April 17 is the feast day for these scraped-up leftovers, with a deluxe edition available at a premium price (r.r.p. sixty squidderoonies) the day before. Alan Lee drafted in to illustrate. I wonder why they let the Christmas market slip by? Perhaps its taking CT a while to write (whoops, I meant edit) it.
                          \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

I think that if somebody can finish Tolkien's unfinished book, it's Cristopher Tolkien. Still, I don't understand why should it be finised? It has already been published in the History of Middle-Earth.
                            Yes, I think stories of both Elric and Turin were influenced by the Kalevala. As far as I remember, first books about Elric were written before the publishing of the Silmarillion (1977).

Comment

Working...
                            X