Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea of where to start with Vandermeer? By the way I got Mythago Wood from the bookstore today inspired by your description of it. Looking forward to read it, while I wait for the final Elric books to arrive.

Comment

I hope you like Holdstock! I really appreciate his prose. Let us know here.

Vandermeer has really grown as a writer. I still love his early stuff like what became City of Saints And Madmen, but Borne might be the best place to start. It’s dystopian, sort of slipstream, sort of fantasy, sort of science fiction, sort of new weird, so it is a bit of his greatest hits. You’ll see how he uses ideas and may get a better sense of what is next for you. Secret Lives, a short story collection is also good (if you are into short stories). He provides some insight to all the stories as afterwords, so you have access to some interesting authorial insights.

Keep us posted!

Comment

I remembered there were some posts about maps on Tor-Do-tCom by a geologist. Two of them looked at Middle Earth:

"...why do I keep coming back to Tolkien? There are a few reasons. Just as Tolkien’s novels have had a massive influence on epic fantasy as a genre, his map is the bad fantasy map that launched a thousand bad fantasy maps—many of which lack even his mythological fig leaf to explain the really eyebrow-raising geography. The things that make me cringe about the geography of Middle-earth are still echoing in the ways we imagine and construct fantasy worlds today."
        — From: Tolkien’s Map and the Perplexing River Systems of Middle-earth

"Even at an early age, I thought the map of Middle-earth looked a little… odd. With my years of geological education and work experience, now it seems more like a geographical car wreck from which I can’t quite look away."
        — From: Tolkien’s Map and The Messed Up Mountains of Middle-earth

The mountains one, at least, launched a thousand angry retorts.

Comment

But it’s a pretty map. Just ignore it’s details. And obvious impossibilities. 🙂

Comment

Working...
          X