Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

INTERVIEW: Erin Hoffman on Gaming and 'Sword of Fire | SF Signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTERVIEW: Erin Hoffman on Gaming and 'Sword of Fire | SF Signal

An interesting - and I think generous - comment from Erin Hoffman on being 'influenced' by Mike's writing without having read any Moorcock:

SFS: Let's drill into Sword of Fire and Sea some more. I read a tweet from Lou Anders that he compared the book to Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion and Avatar: the Last Airbender. Having read the book, I see where he is coming from. What sort of fantasy have you read/consumed, and continue to enjoy? And for that matter, about non-genre fiction or non fiction?

EH: What's interesting about Lou's comment is that at the time I had experienced neither Avatar nor Eternal Champion, though of course I was familiar with Moorcock. It was kind of eerie to go seek them out after he said that and see how much we were all playing in the same pools. I think I got a lot of Moorcock's concepts three or four generations away from where he created them -- concepts of order versus chaos that wound up in Dungeons & Dragons, and however those ideas migrated to Japanese RPGs. In later descriptions Lou has added Final Fantasy to the mix to describe what I do, and I think that's fair (and I'm more directly familiar!).
    http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2011/07/an-interview-with-erin-hoffman/
    Last edited by David Mosley; 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM.
Working...
X