Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

We are the CYBERMEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are the CYBERMEN

Not so much a question as an observation....

Everywhere I look, in work or at home, we all appear to have become plugged in to our computers day and night. We are doing everything those Sci-Fi writers warned us about. We are the CYBERMEN !!!!!!!

And we're through with being cool!

Comment

There was a time when we were cool?

I must've missed it.

Comment

And it's a beautiful world. For you.

Mike, your musical eclecticism knows no bounds!

Originally posted by Corum
        Everywhere I look, in work or at home, we all appear to have become plugged in to our computers day and night.
        I used to play this RPG called Shadowrun in which there were these characters called "Deckers" who could plug computers directly into their brains. It doesn't seem like we're far from that now...
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

God, I hope that doesn't happen for a long time, I wouldn't want spam e-mail in my brain.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
            I used to play this RPG called Shadowrun in which there were these characters called "Deckers" who could plug computers directly into their brains. It doesn't seem like we're far from that now...
            Also a popular series of books (my sister buys them on import from the States) and action figures! I used to love the RPG... always had a bit of a fetish for cyber-wear. I loved the Borg when they first appeared in Star Trek TNG, although obviously they were influenced by the cybermen. Personally I like wearing glasses, but I'd much rather have a chunky optical unit slapped to the side of my head with a cool-looking red beam coming out it!

If I recall my Shadowrun correctly, we should be coming to the end of the Mayan calendar soon (2011?) and there will be a huge cataclysm and some of us will turn into dragons and orcs... or something... right?

D...
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
              I loved the Borg when they first appeared in Star Trek TNG, although obviously they were influenced by the cybermen.
              Trouble is, the Borg look much cooler than Cybermen. The Borg look like Half-man/half-machine, the Cybermen look like people dressed in bad robot costumes and acting rather badly.

Though, in a moment of Doctor Who geekishness, I think the Cybermen look in their first appearence is much more freaky then any that came before.

http://www.geocities.com/joekano/cybermen/markI_3.htm

http://www.geocities.com/joekano/cybermen/markI_1.htm

Okay, the pictures suck. But I stand by the comment.

Comment

I want to be a cross between The Six Million Dollar Man and R2D2.
                The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

A guy who wears a red jogging suit, has a dome-like head, and a single surveilance camera eye?

I suppose that would offer the women of the world a forth choice in a mate.
                  The first three being... 1. men 2. women who like women 3. guess?:?: 4. the six million dollar D2.

stay tuned! Same bat-thread, same bat-message board!!
                  \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
                  Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

I don't wanna be a cyberman! I wanna be a Dalek in The White House! Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate!
                    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

I thought the early Cybermen were really scary because they wouldn't kill you, they would convert you. They would hiss "you belong to us now".

Comment

Working...
                      X